Should Oolite have a financial system?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Should Oolite have a financial system?

Post by Zireael »

Mmmkay... so will we get the ship cost divided by 100? :P
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It would require quite a lot of other changes to actually do it in-game. I have an idea how, but it might be a while before I actually get round to writing the OXP.
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Interesting idea - which does make it much more economically feasible for a lot of ships to be in play. At the moment a vanilla Cobra III is worth orders of magnitude more than all of the trade goods a Coriolis station can hold.
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

cim wrote:
divide the in-game cost of the ship by 100
I think 10 is enough which keep the cost over the value of the built-in alloys, computers, etc. (I have a detailed salvage formula in [wiki]Towbar[/wiki]).
Also need to divide the cost of many OXP equipments, for example a [wiki]Q-Charger[/wiki] should not cost more than the whole ship.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

cim wrote:
It would require quite a lot of other changes to actually do it in-game. I have an idea how, but it might be a while before I actually get round to writing the OXP.
I'm ok with that being an OXP, but please don't make that the core rules!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Malacandra wrote:
At the moment a vanilla Cobra III is worth orders of magnitude more than all of the trade goods a Coriolis station can hold.
I see this as all the trade goods they're willing to make available to YOU. There were some discussions about this a long time back.. the theory was that a Station has loads of goods on hand, but restricts how much is made available to any given trader, to ensure things don't get out of balance.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied