Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Talking to passengers

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Talking to passengers

Post by Diziet Sma »

byronarn wrote:
Lol. I had to reinstall Oolite (It started acting up on me), and I thought I backed up my save file, but I backed up the wrong one. It was one when I still only had a few hundred credits and a large cargo bay. Pretty much back at square one. :-(
Ouch.. to avoid this in future, install Dropbox, if you don't already have it, and (Windows) set your oolite-saves folder to be a Dropbox folder, or (Linux & Mac) make a link in the Dropbox folder, pointing to your oolite-saves folder. That way, your game-saves and screenshots are always instantly backed up online, whenever you have internet access. And you can access them from any computer.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

Finally got to the point where I could check this out. Works pretty well. :-) Thank you for making it. In the current implementation, however, It makes the passenger seem repetitive, as they almost always say "I'm bored, are we there yet?" Do you mind if I mess around with the script, and add a few more sentences, and have the script randomly choose one?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

byronarn wrote:
... they almost always say "I'm bored, are we there yet?"
Sounds like my kids! :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Could you have one [Passenger], when in a combat situation, Says ............ 'Use the force <Insert Cmdr Name Here>' :?:

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

byronarn wrote:
Finally got to the point where I could check this out. Works pretty well. :-) Thank you for making it. In the current implementation, however, It makes the passenger seem repetitive, as they almost always say "I'm bored, are we there yet?" Do you mind if I mess around with the script, and add a few more sentences, and have the script randomly choose one?
Go ahead! I believe all Wildeblood's OXPs are on a free share-alike license.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Zireael wrote:
byronarn wrote:
Go ahead! I believe all Wildeblood's OXPs are on a free share-alike license.
In this case it barely rates as an OXP, just the skeleton of a script. There are two ways you need to proceed to make into something worthwhile: replace the single console message in each case with a random selection, and add more cases. Planetary vicinity would be the next case I'd add - "Ooh, that's a great view of the planet". It's not in there because I couldn't remember off the top of my head how to test for it. :D "Use the documentation, Luke."

Hmm, I've looked now and there is no withinPlanetaryVicinity boolean, the closest thing is player.ship.withinStationAegis

Also the green alert "I'm bored" message should most often say nothing and just fall through to resetting the timer. Otherwise the illusion will be ruined and the player will soon notice the regularity of the messages.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Wildeblood wrote:
Also the green alert "I'm bored" message should most often say nothing and just fall through to resetting the timer. Otherwise the illusion will be ruined and the player will soon notice the regularity of the messages.
Perhaps every now and then one of them should break into song... excerpts from some of the filks that have been recently published hereabouts would probably be good candidates... ;-)

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Neelix wrote:
Perhaps every now and then one of them should break into song...
<Appropriate song :) >
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Smivs wrote:
Neelix wrote:
Perhaps every now and then one of them should break into song...
<Appropriate song :) >
Oooh, good choice! :-)

How about this one?

- Neelix
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Or a full version of One Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall? :twisted:
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

Wildeblood wrote:
In this case it barely rates as an OXP, just the skeleton of a script. There are two ways you need to proceed to make into something worthwhile: replace the single console message in each case with a random selection, and add more cases. Planetary vicinity would be the next case I'd add - "Ooh, that's a great view of the planet". It's not in there because I couldn't remember off the top of my head how to test for it. :D "Use the documentation, Luke."

Hmm, I've looked now and there is no withinPlanetaryVicinity boolean, the closest thing is player.ship.withinStationAegis

I am currently going through an interactive Javascript tutorial through CodeAcademy so that I know what I am doing. I have programmed in many different languages so it seems pretty easy so far. Then I will take your skeleton script and make it into something you can be proud of! :-)
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

mossfoot wrote:
Or a full version of One Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall? :twisted:
*snickers* That's just evil! :-)

Mind you for some reason I find Star Trekkin to be surprisingly appropriate... :twisted:
(Especially with lines like: "Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse" and "We come in peace, Shoot to kill! Shoot to kill! Shoot to kill!") ;-)

byronarn wrote:
I am currently going through an interactive Javascript tutorial through CodeAcademy so that I know what I am doing. I have programmed in many different languages so it seems pretty easy so far. Then I will take your skeleton script and make it into something you can be proud of! :-)
Now there's a novel concept.. actually learn the language before you start scripting... ;-)

- Neelix
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Neelix wrote:
Now there's a novel concept.. actually learn the language *before* you start scripting... ;-)
:shock: Can you actually do that!
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

Neelix wrote:
byronarn wrote:
Now there's a novel concept.. actually learn the language before you start scripting... ;-)

- Neelix
If I didn't learn the language first, I'd probably keep relapsing to trying to program the oxp in c++ (my favorite programming language!). That wouldn't get me anywhere! Lol.
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

Smivs wrote:
Neelix wrote:
Now there's a novel concept.. actually learn the language *before* you start scripting... ;-)
:shock: Can you actually do that!
It's doable, but very difficult. I wanna jump right in and start editing the script. But in order to do it efficiently, I think the skeleton script will need reorganized a little to add functions, and I will need arrays to store the responses. It'll be easier to just learn the language than try to selectively learn just what I need.