[RELEASE] Torus To Sun OXP v1.7

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Torus To Sun OXP v1.3

Post by mossfoot »

Norby wrote:
In v1.3:
-You can not leave the Sun as fast as you arrived due to the high gravity of this huge mass can help to keep up the high speed until the last moment when you fall into but will slow you strongly when you turn back to leave until you are near.
-If your TTS Drive is working at the maximum speed then a 8x time forwarding will be applied in addition, so your game clock will be adjusted forward and you will arrive as fast as if you have a 64x drive. In this way if you use [EliteWiki] Realistic Stars then you will be at the Sun in 2 minutes due to the very fast last part of the travel can compensate the slow start from the planet. Without this drive the same journey was 16 minutes.
Looking forward to testing this. Sounds like got some nice fine tuning here :D
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

I'm running this in the trunk 1.81 version of oolite.

This morning I have no mass lock limits. IE the torus drive doesn't cut out when other ships are in range. I appreciate this might be more to do with any tweaks going on in the trunk nightly version.

Anyone having this issue in 1.80?

BBD Faster than a speeding bullet!
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Bangbangduck wrote:
I'm running this in the trunk 1.81 version of oolite.

This morning I have no mass lock limits. IE the torus drive doesn't cut out when other ships are in range. I appreciate this might be more to do with any tweaks going on in the trunk nightly version.

Anyone having this issue in 1.80?

BBD Faster than a speeding bullet!
This is a bug in trunk core and not related to this OXP. The fix is known and is expected to go in for tonight's nightly build.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Doffs Cap. Cheers Cmdr

BBD
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Seems to work well with 1.80

One thing - a couple of times while travelling from the witch point to the planet I found the torus number momentarily rising to 2 - usually I got mass locked a second later, but I'm wondering if the settings are slightly out, didn't think it was supposed to activate at all on a standard trip.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

ffutures wrote:
Seems to work well with 1.80

One thing - a couple of times while travelling from the witch point to the planet I found the torus number momentarily rising to 2 - usually I got mass locked a second later, but I'm wondering if the settings are slightly out, didn't think it was supposed to activate at all on a standard trip.
This is definitely a good little OXP. Hopefully it'll see more fine tuning as feedback comes in :)
--

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

ffutures wrote:
while travelling from the witch point to the planet I found the torus number momentarily rising to 2
This is intentional: the gravity field is not known that you are on a normal or sun skimming trip, so you will get the same bonus regardless of the space lane but regarding the distance from the nearest planetary mass. So if you arrived into a system where the witchpoint is far from the planet (600-1000km) then you can get 2x first. The real bonus is not an integer but a floating point number, as you can see the accurate value of your speed is slowly decreasing in Combat MFD or Numeric HUD when you approach the planet.

When I set a smaller bonus to keep below 2x at all witchpoints then the travel to the Sun was too slow. I tried a cubic formula also which keep down the bonus much longer but then caused too fast increase from 2x to 8x so I reverted back to the square formula and leaved some benefit for non-sun-skimming players also. I think this is the best overall due to more players welcomed the bonus in normal trips above in this topic.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

It isn't a problem, don't think it's a big effect on game balange, makes short range jumping very slightly trickier if you're chasing cargo pods etc. but I can live with that
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: [RELEASE] Torus To Sun OXP v1.4

Post by Norby »

The [EliteWiki] v1.4 need to turn off your weapons to get higher speed multipliers than 4x to be able to slow down in time before far objects by turning on your weapons and fix the "pizza overrun" issue reported by ffutures here.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Thanks for that - sorry, for some reason I couldn't find this thread when I posted that.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

heh, looks like I'll need to map the deactivate weapons button to my joystick ;)
--

Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Hehe. On at least two occasions I've punched through a sun.........Press Space Commander. Not complaining, there is no fun without risk :mrgreen: Good OXZ!

BBD
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Actually I ended up finding the x4 limit to be just right for my gameplay :D
--

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Bangbangduck wrote:
Hehe. On at least two occasions I've punched through a sun.........Press Space Commander. Not complaining, there is no fun without risk :mrgreen: Good OXZ!

BBD
Whoah, how'd ya manage it?
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Zireael wrote:
Bangbangduck wrote:

BBD
Whoah, how'd ya manage it?
I have no idea. I am using trunk which had a bug where by masslock did not occur for anything but the two events were post fix when it was masslocking as usual.

The only common part of both was that I got mass locked, by another ship, when close to the sun and when clear I hit torus drive and my ship just went 'Whoooooooooosh' followed by instant death. It looked fantastic. One minute my screen was filled with a sun then a hole formed through which I could see the stars with an inverse corona if you will.

This happend in probably less than 2 seconds. It hasn't happened since but I do tend to aim slightly off target to avoid the escalating premiums on my insurance with my current insurers Choorchill.

"OH YES!"

BBD Handling special effects for the group Disaster Area :wink: