[RELEASE] Torus To Sun OXP v1.7

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Torus To Sun OXP v1.2

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Norby wrote:
Upgrade your NumericHUD to v3.24 and you will see the correct speed.
I tried it. I wasn't happy with the feature creep in this version, and went back to my mildly modded version of 3.22. I backported the TorusToSun speed reporting code though.
I may backport the code for preloading favored MFDs as well.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Downgrading my own NumericHud is on my to-do list as well.. way too many MFDs for my needs, so toggling through them all is annoying.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

mossfoot wrote:
Sun-to-planet has you launch at spaceballs level Ludicrous Speed (minus going plaid ;) ) with no build up.
There is some build up but smaller than before, due to based on the same formula than when approach the sun and the goal here is to reach faster. In the next version I can make a much slower leaving speed than the approach and a smooth transition using the current angle between the player forward vector and the direction of the sun, to simulate the high gravity field near this huge mass which help to fall into but pull back when try to leave it.
mossfoot wrote:
the engine trails get left FAR behind as you look behind you while accelerating!
This "feature" is caused by the position updates way of speedup. I tried to update the trail position also but I can not make a correct solution so left in as an attraction.
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
I wasn't happy with the feature creep in this version, and went back to my mildly modded version of 3.22. I backported the TorusToSun speed reporting code though.
I may backport the code for preloading favored MFDs as well.
In the next version I will include the old layout with 6 MFDs also which will be selectable by a variable in js and the next version of HUD Selector. In addition, in the F4 interface of HUD Selector you will be able to define your default MFDs also.
StathisR
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by StathisR »

The same here. I use the 3.21 version. The toggling between many MFDs is cumbersome. It would be nice if instead of toggling you could asign numpad keys to MFDs. I don't know if that is easy but it would be more practical.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

StathisR wrote:
The toggling between many MFDs is cumbersome. It would be nice if instead of toggling you could asign numpad keys to MFDs. I don't know if that is easy but it would be more practical.
That would make a good suggestion for the next version of Oolite.. perhaps you should post it in the Suggestions Box. (though it might annoy those who already use the numpad for other things)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

mossfoot wrote:
I also notice a shaking effect when hitting the top speeds
This is a bug what I can not fix at OXP level.
I think you may have meant "It's a feature" :wink: I like it don't even think of fixing it. It adds a certain something to travelling at such speeds and haven't we all seen this 'effect' used in varies sci-fi based series? Very nice OXZ keep up the good work.

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

StathisR wrote:
It would be nice if instead of toggling you could asign numpad keys to MFDs.
Keypresses are core features and allocated in a very rare case. For example I suggested a year ago to allocate the unused ctrl+n and ctrl+b keys as another two keys usable in primable equipments but this is not accepted by the core team (yet?), so I am very doubtful in a request of the whole numpad.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Norby wrote:
StathisR wrote:
It would be nice if instead of toggling you could asign numpad keys to MFDs.
Keypresses are core features and allocated in a very rare case.
The point is, numpad keys are already assignable.. this is simply a matter of allowing players to assign them to MFDs, if they want to do so. Or even other keys, since number and Function keys are no longer bound together.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Hello there

Just tried editing the OXZ to change the word Torus to Warp Factor.

Unzipped it first did the edit the zipped it up again and made sure the name was correct. But I get a failure to load the OXZ due to manifest.plist missing. Yet it is in there. Any ideas?

Running Linux Crunchbang Wheezy.

BBD
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yep.. when you unzip it, that creates a 'container' folder, in which the files are located. If you zip that back up, you've added a folder that wasn't there before. Open the container-folder, select the contents, and zip those up. Then it will work.

However, since you're on Linux, you shouldn't need to unzip it first anyway. Just open the OXZ in your archive manager, double-click the file you want to edit,and it will open in your text editor. Make your changes, and save. You should get a dialogue asking if you want to update the file in the archive. Say 'yes' and the file inside the OXZ will be updated.. no unzipping required.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Ah! But of course. I see it now. Thank you!

BBD Doing Darkside stuff......... Who am I kidding!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

In the next version I will include the old layout with 6 MFDs also which will be selectable by a variable in js and the next version of HUD Selector. In addition, in the F4 interface of HUD Selector you will be able to define your default MFDs also.
That's great news, and add me to the list of people wishing to be able to assign MFDs to keys.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bangbangduck wrote:
BBD Doing Darkside stuff......... Who am I kidding!
Hey.. it caught me out the first time, too.. :mrgreen:

(And if you actually want to add new files, like textures or sounds, you'll still have to unzip & rezip anyway)
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Torus To Sun OXP v1.3

Post by Norby »

In v1.3:
-You can not leave the Sun as fast as you arrived due to the high gravity of this huge mass can help to keep up the high speed until the last moment when you fall into but will slow you strongly when you turn back to leave until you are near.
-If your TTS Drive is working at the maximum speed then a 8x time forwarding will be applied in addition, so your game clock will be adjusted forward and you will arrive as fast as if you have a 64x drive. In this way if you use [EliteWiki] Realistic Stars then you will be at the Sun in 2 minutes due to the very fast last part of the travel can compensate the slow start from the planet. Without this drive the same journey was 16 minutes.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [RELEASE] Torus To Sun OXP v1.3

Post by Bangbangduck »

Liking this OXZ. But I really need to pay attention when sun skimming at 'breaking wind at 90' speeds. I've done more 'press space commander' due to zealous skimming than any other method of self inhumation. A mere moments inattention and it's curtains... Well not curtains cos they went POOF! at about the same time my ship did :mrgreen:

BBD