Help! Need to fix my Thrustmaster

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Help! Need to fix my Thrustmaster

Post by mossfoot »

I have a thrustmster joystick/throttle combo. It works fine, BUT I did something to bust the throttle's resistance, so now it's a limp noodle. I have to hold it in place or it flops all the way forward or back. Anyone know an online resource that can help me figure out how to repair it?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Help! Need to fix my Thrustmaster

Post by Bangbangduck »

I can't seem to nail anything via google. But I always reach for the screwdriver first and have a look. It is usually obvious on sight what it wrong. Fingers crossed it is 'simple' to fix.

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Bangbangduck wrote:
I can't seem to nail anything via google. But I always reach for the screwdriver first and have a look. It is usually obvious on sight what it wrong. Fingers crossed it is 'simple' to fix.

BBD
Oh, I opened it... and I'm lost. I can't even figure out how the resistance was attained in the first place.
--

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

My old Thrustmaster HOTAS failed in the same way. I opened the throttle module and took it apart after, considering it a lost cause. It was.

There'sw a springloaded plastic block pressing up against the bottom of the throttle lever. That's held in place by a plastic bracket, which is screwed onto plastic studs in the case of the unit. If the bracket and/or studs crack, then the block loses it's tension, ergo limp-noodle-itis.
TM really don't build them to last. If yours held up 3 years or more, you got off lucky.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
My old Thrustmaster HOTAS failed in the same way. I opened the throttle module and took it apart after, considering it a lost cause. It was.

There'sw a springloaded plastic block pressing up against the bottom of the throttle lever. That's held in place by a plastic bracket, which is screwed onto plastic studs in the case of the unit. If the bracket and/or studs crack, then the block loses it's tension, ergo limp-noodle-itis.
TM really don't build them to last. If yours held up 3 years or more, you got off lucky.
But perhaps some kind of jury rig is in order then? Something that could be added to the wheel to provide resistance yet allow movement... a kind of thick foam or rubber perhaps....

But thanks for the confirmation. Rather than looking for a fix, I'll try a different angle. I ain't buying a new joystick if I can help it.
--

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

can we get some pics of the problem mossfoot? i might be able to offer some help if i can see what the problem is...
Spent my whole career in servicing equipment...... and bodgying if i have to.... lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply