Explorers' Club updated for Oolite 1.80

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Explorers' Club updated for Oolite 1.80

Post by Switeck »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:28 am
The plethora of Tionisla OXPs (we're now up to 6! including the mission) must make the downloaders interested in visiting Tionisla. Sadly, in terms of things to do there is only the mission and a little sightseeing which once done is unlikely to be repeated (Alnivel had ideas about another Tionisla Chronicle mission based around TOGY).
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 05#p285405
"Take Tionisla's graveyard...."
But DGill's work on Feudal States is making the player's "chosen" feudal state much more interesting and more of a focus of the game.
That is really good.
How about a GalCop/Ensorean mission to root out the pirates who have taken over Ararus?
Sounds like a someone else's job...

And you may need to check PMs!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:02 pm
It desperately needed improving back in 2014.
Just to say, if you are working on this, that as I understand things "Explorer's Club" is one of 3 intertwined OXPs: Both it and cim's "New Cargoes" (just refurbished by Phkb) depend on "Famous Planets" for information. (The list of Famous Planets for G1 & G2).

I've never seen the original Famous Planets, but there are now two versions of that OXP. That on the Expansions Manager (a denuded version of the original) and Stranger's Famous Planet Overhaul (FPO) OXP suite (5 of them?) which contains the original music and new textures. I've not compared the list of planets in the two galaxies to see if they differ (I suspect that FPO includes Lave).

FPO Vetitice
Last edited by Cholmondely on Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:25 am
It desperately needed improving back in 2014.
Just to say, if you are working on this, that as I understand things "Explorers' Club" is one of 3 intertwined OXPs: Both it and cim's "New Cargoes" (just refurbished by Phkb) depend on "Famous Planets" for information. (The list of Famous Planets for G1 & G2).
I am not. And, could not if I wanted to. I have no recollection, after this time, of how javascript works.

Explorers' Club has no dependencies on any other OXP. It makes reference to the "famous planets" in its achievements list, but Murphy hard-coded that list and the other achievements. If Oolite lore has altered the list of famous planets since, that's not our fault.

The intention with Explorers' Club was to provide a third metric for player progress, other than just "kill count go up" and "dollars/credits go up". Its existence provided an immediate 50% gain in metroology. I think we succeeded in that intention. When I wrote, "It desperately needed improving back in 2014," I was not referring to any desire we had to start adding kitchen sinks. (Although, removing the photo-logging feature, which worked with developer versions of Oolite, was a disappointment.) I meant that the code was scruffy back then, and... well I suppose until it actually causes something to break, better to let sleeping dogs lie.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

The discussion (on what is exploration? How might OXPs help?) moved to here
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Hey, Wildeblood! Nice to see you back!
It desperately needed improving back in 2014. The script that handled the mission screens was written for 1.75, and was more-or-less obsolete by Oolite 1.80. But mission screens always mystified me, and I couldn't improve it.
This one has definitely been in the "If it ain't broke" category. The mission screens it provides are basic but functional. If *I* was to look at a redesign, I'd probably move the first 6 options to Library Config, and then move item 7 into Galactic Registry (which would give you a visual and textual way to look at your progress). Which leaves only item 8 (list of milestones). Obviously, that would make Library and GalReg as requirements.

But that's me. What would *you* like to see done here?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:10 pm
Other stuff you might not be aware of:

1) Hiran's https://ooliteproject.github.io/oolite- ... index.html allows you to look at every javascript script in a published oxz (ie on the Expansions Manager)
Thank you for drawing my attention to this (is it really already) a fortnight ago. Although I did not acknowledge your remark at the time, I did immediately look, and was greatly impressed. What a useful tool!

Anyway, I've just uploaded a "version 1.4.6" of Explorers' Club to the wiki. There's no real changes in it, but I did leave a note in it to the effect that "I wuz here."
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Re: Explorers' Club

Post by Cholmondely »

Just thinking about what you did here.

At the moment this OXP shows whether you visited a system - at various degrees of depth (arrive at witchpoint and then buzz off/visit main orbital station/actually land on main planet).

What would count as really exploring a system?

I would presume that it would include visiting all the planets (near enough to get a decent snapshot - as in Tionisla Reporter OXP), visiting all the dockables and finding almost all of the Rock Hermits.

In a more realistic solar system (Strangers World/Norby's Far Planets/cim's SOTL Exploration) this would take quite some effort.
Comments wanted:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Explorers' Club

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:06 pm
At the moment this OXP shows whether you visited a system - at various degrees of depth (arrive at witchpoint and then buzz off/visit main orbital station/actually land on main planet).
Everyone knows you can't land on planets in Oolite, silly. Option three involves buzzing the planet surface until Oolite broadcasts the youAreAboutToCrash javaScript event (at 400m altitude, if I remember correctly). A console message then appears saying your visit has been recorded, and you pull up and fly away - hopefully before the youActuallyDidCrash event comes.
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:06 pm
What would count as really exploring a system?

I would presume that it would include visiting all the planets (near enough to get a decent snapshot - as in Tionisla Reporter OXP), visiting all the dockables and finding almost all of the Rock Hermits.
There's only one planet per system in Oolite, silly. But I see what you're saying. The rather obviously named function, _recordVisit(), was - IMHO - easy to find. And, there was a reason I put the three included options for using it right at the top of the script. There is nothing stopping anyone adding more options, e.g.

Code: Select all

// Viiting option 99, serial killer.

this.shipKilledOther = function () {
        "use strict";
        var ws = worldScripts    .    ["Explorers Club"];  // What's that dot doing there?
        if (ws.$xc_visitOption === 99) {
            ws._recordVisit();
        }
    }
Become the most wanted pilot in the galaxy - wanted in every system! It really is that simple.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Ahem!

Latest.log - removed Explorer's Club and stirred in your latest offering:

Code: Select all

10:05:34.360 [script.javaScript.exception.nameAfterDot] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:204): ***** JavaScript exception (Serial_Killer.oxz.anon-script): SyntaxError: missing name after . operator
10:05:34.360 [script.javaScript.load.failed] -[OOJSScript initWithPath:properties:] (OOJSScript.m:267): ***** Error loading JavaScript script /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/Serial_Killer.oxz/Config/script.js -- compilation failed
I'm on an AppleMac, I'm afraid....

Reference: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... Killer.oxz
Comments wanted:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

(1) Nine and a half years, and it's one lousy stray dot.

(2) You don't remove Explorers' Club, you drop the plug-in in alongside it.

Thank you for your time, though.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:39 am
Thank you for your time, though.
Prego! as they say in Italy

I've had a stab at updating the Explorer's Club wiki page. You might wish to change it.
Comments wanted: