[Release] OrangED HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] OrangED HUD

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
Your download URL is http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File:O ... _0.1.1.oxz
That is not an OXZ file, it's a page which tells you where an OXZ file is, and Oolite isn't sophisticated enough (by a long way) to figure it out.

Change the download URL to http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/5/5 ... _0.1.1.oxz
Zireael wrote:
Thanks a lot, will fix it tomorrow... Too many pitfalls in total :P
Point 9 in the Guide details how to identify the correct link.. it even draws a big red ellipse around it.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Links fixed for those who do not know yet :)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Meant to say - I tried this, but I have a wide monitor and found that the bottom of the radar was cut off at the bottom of the screen; since my preferred tactic is often "run away and shoot backwards" this isn't very useful.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

New wiki page is here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OrangED_HUD

No license, but Zireael did put this OXZ up on the Expansions Manager himself (see previous pages of this thread).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:53 pm

No license, but Zireael did put this OXZ up on the Expansions Manager himself (see previous pages of this thread).
I am pretty sure it has a CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 and he just forgot to add it to the manifest.plist. :wink:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:32 pm

I am pretty sure it has a CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 and he just forgot to add it to the manifest.plist. :wink:
What license actually applies if the original author does not choose one - on the other hand he/she/it worked hard to have the OXP registered on the manager so it gets spread to potentially every Oolite installation?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

hiran wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:52 pm

What license actually applies if the original author does not choose one - on the other hand he/she/it worked hard to have the OXP registered on the manager so it gets spread to potentially every Oolite installation?
Does this pinned thread on licensing help?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

maik wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Is not the incident referred to that involving Sung? One of the few occasions where the Friendliest Board this side of Riedquat was not quite so friendly? So much so that Ahruman had to wade in and pretty much force people to stop insulting Sung?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

maik wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:02 pm
It definitely prooves that the question I raised has been discussed already. But will I really have to read it all? There could/should be some final decision we all can refer to and that can be taken authorative. A discussion itself is of little value.

I could not agree more to the first post, but without an authorative decision I'm afraid we are as much in the swamp as we were back then.
BTW, this decision must be acted on when adding stuff to the expansion manager. Once that is in place, we could argue as of what to do with all the currently incompliant OXPs.

But that is for sure worth another thread.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:53 pm
There could/should be some final decision we all can refer to and that can be taken authorative. A discussion itself is of little value.
JensAyton wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:23 pm
As I pointed out then, the solution to this is very simple: regardless of whether you want to place restrictions on how your OXP is used or want it to be used without restriction; regardless of how obvious you think this is – you must specify a license when you release an OXP, or any other work. This is not optional.
JensAyton, Grand Admiral Emeritus - would this be authoritative enough ? ;)
Once that is in place, we could argue as of what to do with all the currently incompliant OXPs.
Oolite is build on volunteers from all around the world, sometimes a little investigation of older posts and a bit of creativity could help to come to a decission.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:55 am
There could/should be some final decision we all can refer to and that can be taken authorative. A discussion itself is of little value.
JensAyton wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:23 pm
As I pointed out then, the solution to this is very simple: regardless of whether you want to place restrictions on how your OXP is used or want it to be used without restriction; regardless of how obvious you think this is – you must specify a license when you release an OXP, or any other work. This is not optional.
JensAyton, Grand Admiral Emeritus - would this be authoritative enough ? ;)
Once that is in place, we could argue as of what to do with all the currently incompliant OXPs.
Oolite is build on volunteers from all around the world, sometimes a little investigation of older posts and a bit of creativity could help to come to a decission.
Thank you for digging that out. I think it is wise to place that somewhere prominent so others are saved from reading all the history.
It could/should be part of OXP development information - at least when the OXP gets published on the expansions manager.

Remember, I did not start the discussion on license, it seems an ever-ongoing topic and stalling further development or fixes.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:58 am
Remember, I did not start the discussion on license, it seems an ever-ongoing topic and stalling further development or fixes.
Unfortunately, you are correct with both, it is an ongoing topic for many years now, and it certainly stalls the recover/fix of old OXP's. A lot of times an overwrite will do the trick but in rare cases even that wouldn't work.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:25 am
hiran wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:58 am
Unfortunately, you are correct with both, it is an ongoing topic for many years now, and it certainly stalls the recover/fix of old OXP's. A lot of times an overwrite will do the trick but in rare cases even that wouldn't work.
I posted this twice today, but I believe it makes sense to make the license field in the manifest mandatory. Todaz it is optional: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Manife ... ional_keys