[Beta] Vacuum Pump OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Beta] Vacuum Pump OXP

Post by ffutures »

Unless your ship is really small you would have to be REALLY lucky with the scoop for this to make a huge difference over the course of a flight - I've scooped in 20-30 tons a couple of times since I've fitted this, and I don't think it's ever clawed back more than a ton of space. Bear in mind that you have to catch two or more containers of the same precious material for it to make a difference. It's fun to play with, but I've already had to pay to repair it twice, and that costs a lot more than the average cargo pod of gems, gold, or platinum. I'm probably going to delete it as more trouble than it's worth.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

spara wrote:
Neelix wrote:
....If you mine a splinter, use the ore processor to get 1t of radioactives out of it, then dump them, you'll see them float off into space in a container that wasn't there before.
Really? If I dump a processed splinter, I see a processed splinter, not cargo container. That's because splinters are sort of cargo containers holding minerals. Technically Ore Processor simply changes the contents of the container (splinter).
Huh... you're right, I stand corrected. Either way I don't see any easy way of dealing with that situation any differently.
ffutures wrote:
Unless your ship is really small you would have to be REALLY lucky with the scoop for this to make a huge difference over the course of a flight - I've scooped in 20-30 tons a couple of times since I've fitted this, and I don't think it's ever clawed back more than a ton of space. Bear in mind that you have to catch two or more containers of the same precious material for it to make a difference. It's fun to play with, but I've already had to pay to repair it twice, and that costs a lot more than the average cargo pod of gems, gold, or platinum. I'm probably going to delete it as more trouble than it's worth.
hrm... *ponders* I'll have a think about that... Perhaps I should lower the damage probability? I must admit that repair costs aren't something I think about a lot because I use Thargoid's Repair Bots, and they tend to take care of most of my damaged equipment. :-)

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Neelix wrote:
I should lower the damage probability?
This can strike back when you have more costly equipments also. The wiki say the chance of a particular piece of equipment being damaged is its damageProbability divided by the total damageProbability of all remaining undamaged equipment. So your Shield Boosters can take over the damage for a 7375cr repair bill.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Norby wrote:
Neelix wrote:
I should lower the damage probability?
This can strike back when you have more costly equipments also. The wiki say the chance of a particular piece of equipment being damaged is its damageProbability divided by the total damageProbability of all remaining undamaged equipment. So your Shield Boosters can take over the damage for a 7375cr repair bill.
Doesn't that mean that would have an even higher probability if the reduced probability equipment wasn't installed at all?

How are repair costs calculated anyway?

- Neelix
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Neelix wrote:
Doesn't that mean that would have an even higher probability if the reduced probability equipment wasn't installed at all?
Yes it mean, but I compared with the case when installed and the probability is 1.
If the probability is smaller then less attractive, except if the player already bought all cheaper cannon fodder equipments.
Neelix wrote:
Half of the new price by default, but OXPs can make exceptions.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Norby wrote:
Neelix wrote:
Half of the new price by default, but OXPs can make exceptions.
That must be new. How's it done?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Wildeblood wrote:
How's it done?
Make and buy differently priced repair equipments like my Cheap Repairs:

Code: Select all

this.playerBoughtEquipment = function(equipmentKey) {
  if(equipmentKey === ("EQ_TELESCOPE_REPAIR")) {
    PS.setEquipmentStatus("EQ_TELESCOPE", "EQUIPMENT_OK");
    PS.removeEquipment("EQ_TELESCOPE_REPAIR");
  }
}
Alternatively give back some player.credits in equipmentRepaired event, but should check and exclude if it is repaired by bots.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I see this now uses a ton of hold space, so I've removed the OXP - it just hasn't been useful enough to be worth losing a ton of space permanently.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

You could always just tweak it so that it doesn't use cargo space.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Diziet Sma wrote:
You could always just tweak it so that it doesn't use cargo space.. :wink:
It seems more realistic, and as I say it hasn't been terribly useful anyway - three or four uses and two repairs means it really didn't pay for itself. It probably makes more sense on a smaller ship - I'm flying a Boa Cruiser.
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

Might a I suggest a version (or a version that can be modified via OXP config) that doesn't take up a ton of space, and doesn't crush the empty cargopods for alloys? If the existence of hypothetical empty phantom cargopods in your bay really bothers you, have the OXP automatically jettison an the empty 'pod' behind the ship, which explodes a second later.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Potential Debris wrote:
Might a I suggest a version (or a version that can be modified via OXP config) that doesn't take up a ton of space, and doesn't crush the empty cargopods for alloys? If the existence of hypothetical empty phantom cargopods in your bay really bothers you, have the OXP automatically jettison an the empty 'pod' behind the ship, which explodes a second later.
I've been thinking about how to manage that, and lets just say I have a cunning plan. 8) I had already thought of the jettison and detonate idea and probably will implement that but not exactly the way you suggested... :)

- Neelix
Bodyarmr
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Bodyarmr »

Great idea. Will there be an OXP version of the Vacuum Pump?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Bodyarmr, and welcome aboard! 8)
Bodyarmr wrote:
Great idea. Will there be an OXP version of the Vacuum Pump?
It's pretty easy to make your own.. just download the OXZ, unzip it (it's really just a renamed .zip file, so just change the extension from .oxz to .zip), and rename the containing folder to VacuumPump.oxp. Then it goes in your regular AddOns folder.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bodyarmr
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Bodyarmr »

Sweet! Worked like a champ thanks!