Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Replacing New Default Ships with "Full" Griff Assets?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Twisp
Above Average
Above Average

Replacing New Default Ships with "Full" Griff Assets?

Post by Twisp »

While I miss the old, low-poly models and assets which Oolite had prior to 1.8, I do think the new griff-based assets look very nice. However, I notice that they appear to be "flatter" than the Griff ships I occasionally used before. I may be wrong, but it seems as though this is due to a lack of certain shader and normalmapping effects which really made Griff's ships stand out in previous versions.

I understand that using the "full" versions of Griff's ships would significantly reduce who could and could not run this game well, so I'm not going to even think about complaining about the lack of these effects on the new default models. However, I would personally like to make use of them, and have tried a couple of different methods.

First I tried downloading each of the 1.80-ready core ships that Griff placed on his Box, and then used those alongside the core shipset suppressor oxp also included in that box in order to hopefully achieve the effect I was looking for. It worked in all ways except one rather crucial one - the ship I started with remained a core shipset model, and I would occasionally see core shipset models for sale. This is something I could work around with a bit of save editing (and happy thoughts to ignore the occasionally off-looking ship on the F3-F3 screen) but I wanted a more complete solution.

I then tried using Griff's older Replacement Shipset (in conjunction with the Griff Resources OXP, of course) along with the Shipset Compatibility OXZ. This seemed to work in terms of replacing the ships, but unfortunately every one of the "full" ships seemed to be missing a number of effects, such as cockpit and engine glow, as well as decals and a number of other effects.

Before I continue, I want to ask if anyone else has managed to get this to work in the way I'm trying to achieve. Am I going about this the wrong way? Is there an essential OXP/OXZ that I've missed? Was one of my methods above correct, but simply not executed correctly? Do I need to try manually editing things in order to ensure more complete functionality?

I'm also looking to get ZGroovy's stations and Griff's Player Flyable NPC Ships working, but I figure those will require manual editing (probably of something related to ship roles) so I haven't thouched them yet. Any advice there would be very appreciated, but I'm mostly focusing on what I've described above.

P.S. Is there a randomshipnames version out for 1.80?
Conducting a deepspace mining operation out in Orrira. Thanking various dieties for the existence of cargo shepherds. Flying the rugged Python Prospector Errant.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Replacing New Default Ships with "Full" Griff Assets?

Post by Cody »

From Griff's 1.80 OXP folder, get start_in_a_griff_cobra3.oxp - that should work (don't use the replacement shipset - use the new individual OXPs).
Random Ship Names works fine in 1.80, as do most OXPs (such as Griff's Station bundle).

Edit to add: if it's an established commander, you might have to edit your save-file player ship.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Twisp
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Twisp »

I didn't even notice that file before! Thanks so much for the help, even if it was just a matter of me being a little dense. Also, thanks for informing me about the continued functionality of the other OXPs. I was just a bit unsure about how compatible old OXPs are with the new version, considering how OXZs work and all.
Conducting a deepspace mining operation out in Orrira. Thanking various dieties for the existence of cargo shepherds. Flying the rugged Python Prospector Errant.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Twisp. Yes all OXPs can be used as before - just put them in the AddOns folder. Of course they will be 'old' versions now and won't be able to use many of the new features in v1.80, and some may not work as well as they used to due to these changes.
If you are installing the OXZ version of any OXP, it should be fine and hopefully will have been updated by the author during the conversion process. If you do install the OXZ version of anything, also make sure that the OXP equivalent has been removed from AddOns.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've just spotted a massive problem with my Core_ships_suppressor_v1.0 - it stops the spawning of a mission critical ship! :oops:
Really sorry about that, i've fixed the oxp and re-uploaded it as v1.1 - if you have v1.0 installed please either remove the oxp or update it to v1.1 or you'll miss out on something really cool

@Twisp
you don't need the "Griff's Player Flyable NPC Ships" oxp anymore, player flyable versions of the Krait, Mamba, Gecko & Sidewinder have been included in the v1.80 ready OXP's over at my box site :D
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Just re-jigged my OXP setup for 1.80+

Code: Select all

../AddOns/Griff.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Adder_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_alloys_and_wreckage_V1.4.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Anaconda_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Asp_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Boa_Mk2_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Boa_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_cargopods_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Cobra_Mk1_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Cobra_Mk3_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Constrictor_v1.03.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Decals_v1.0.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_ECMProofMissile_v1.01.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_elite2_bug.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Escape_Capsule_v1.04.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Ferdelance_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Gecko_v1.04.1.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_gnat_V1.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_hognose_v1.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Krait_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Mamba2013_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Mamba_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Missile_v1.01.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Moray_v1.04.3.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_ophidian_v1.0.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Python_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Shuttle_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Sidewinder_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Tharglet_v1.04.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Thargoid_v1.04.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Transporter_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Viper_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_WolfMKII.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/Griff_Worm_v1.04.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/multidecal_cobraIII_player.oxp
Sidenote: I noticed griff_normalmap_ships.vertex (and possibly others) is replicated.

The following use the #ifdef OO_TANGENT_ATTR check in the vertex shader where as the others don't.

Constrictor
ECM Proof Missile
Elite2 Bug
Gnat
Hognose
Mamba (Not 2013)
Missile
Ophidian
Shipset Resources
Wolf MkII
Multidecal Cobra MkIII Player
Any Linux guru know of a way to compare files for copies whithin a directory (recursively)? Would prefer a command line version, my system isn't setup for GUI.

I could create a program to do it, just don't want to re-invent the wheel.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hmm... why do you have Shipset Resources installed?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Cody wrote:
Hmm... why do you have Shipset Resources installed?
One or 2 personal OXP's I haven't converted yet. Plus I don't know what else uses the resources. I could just disable it and see what error messages in the log I get.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Tricky wrote:
Any Linux guru know of a way to compare files for copies whithin a directory (recursively)? Would prefer a command line version, my system isn't setup for GUI.

Would this be what you're after?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Twisp wrote:
While I miss the old, low-poly models and assets which Oolite had prior to 1.8, I do think the new griff-based assets look very nice. However, I notice that they appear to be "flatter" than the Griff ships I occasionally used before. I may be wrong, but it seems as though this is due to a lack of certain shader and normalmapping effects which really made Griff's ships stand out in previous versions.
Your observation is spot on. The 1.8 core ship set does not use Griff's custom shaders. Only the diffuse texture with a glow map in the alpha channel.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Tricky wrote:

Would this be what you're after?
No. That is 2 separate directories. I want a program that will recursively scan a directory and all sub-directories and report files that are the same size and/or name and/or modification time.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

I'm getting all the new 1.80 Griff ships too, but there's something I'm concerned about.

The shipset suppressor suppresses "oolite_template_cobra3-alternate" but the Griff_Cobra_Mk3_v1.04.2 doesn't have any ship that even like_ships that alternate (which has a 95% chance of an ECM unit). It only like_ships the oolite_template_cobra3-trader, oolite_template_cobra3-pirate, and oolite_template_cobra3-player. And none of the ships in the sets the has_ecm value, so they'll all take the value from the original trader and pirate versions, which only have a 10% chance of an ECM.

So the Griff version makes the game easier. Also, the oolite_template_cobra3-alternate has some possible roles that are not used in any variants within the Griff version (e.g. hermit-ship, assassin-medium, possibly others).

Hmm, now looking at them in game, they also aren't as metallic as the old ones. If I put the old Shipset Resources back in, it improves some, but makes others look weird (Cobra Mk 3). I see some texture tweaking in my future...
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Tricky wrote:
I want a program that will recursively scan a directory and all sub-directories and report files that are the same size and/or name and/or modification time.
Try this code in a single command line or insert into a file (where you can break lines after semicolons):

l=`find * -type d -exec ls -d {} \;`; for f in $l; do for g in $l; do if [[ "$f" != "$g" ]]; then d=`diff -s $f $g`; if [[ "a$d" != "a" ]]; then echo "diff $f - $g :"; echo "$d"; echo; fi; fi; done; done;
This compare all subdirs in the current directory but skip the top level files. If you want these also then go to the parent directory (cd ..) and replace the * after find to the name of your target directory.

If you want the identical files only then put this into a file (for example findidenticalfiles), chmod +x ./findidenticalfiles, then ./findidenticalfiles|grep identical (or a similar word depending on your localization).
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Keeper wrote:
The shipset suppressor suppresses "oolite_template_cobra3-alternate"
Just to note here: the suppressor suppresses "cobra3-alternate", not "oolite_template_cobra3-alternate". OXPs should never directly modify the oolite_template entries in any way (unless they're "total conversion" styles of OXPs where compatibility with anything else isn't really expected) since doing so will probably break other OXPs.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Ah, yes, my mistake. But the question to Griff remains valid. The core ship is suppressed but no similar ship is supplied.