[Release] HUD Selector v1.17

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] HUD Selector v1.0

Post by Diziet Sma »

Norby wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
If a method could be found that still permitted HUDs to be installed as a standalone item, that would certainly be preferable.
I do not understand your problem. I use the initialization method what cim suggested and you quoted and this is working standalone also.
Smivs wrote:
Which is why CombatHUD and Smart HUD have not been adapted. :wink:
You can do it safely: your HUD will work without HUD Selector, so I recommend to adapt your HUDs.
I just tested this.. removed NumericHUD and HUD Selector, and kept the HUD Selector-ised version of CompactHUD installed, and it worked just fine.

I stand corrected.. my apologies, Norby. For years now I've been under the impression that a HUD needed a file named hud.plist to function. That is no longer necessarily the case. Now that I look closer, I see it's that little world-script that makes it possible. I guess that means it's time I remove the dependency in CompactHUD.

@ Smivs: Yes, you really can make your HUDS work with HUD Selector, and have them still function as a standalone HUD.

Edit: Dependency changed to "Optional", and CompactHUD marked as "Compatible with HUD Selector" instead.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Neelix wrote:
FighterHUD for example (and the variations of it that Cody uses) is very clearly a hardware installation.
Then we should define Hardware and Software HUDs, and Hard ones can be changed in F4 only :?:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Dependency changed to "Optional", and CompactHUD marked as "Compatible with HUD Selector" instead.
All's well that ends well. :)
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Norby wrote:
Neelix wrote:
FighterHUD for example (and the variations of it that Cody uses) is very clearly a hardware installation.
Then we should define Hardware and Software HUDs, and Hard ones can be changed in F4 only :?:
An idea worth considering, really. And maybe put a small price tag on a software upgrade and a bigger one for a hardware upgrade? And maybe even consider the possibility of a breaking HUD, that would revert to the standard HUD.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

This OXP is a must-have, I'm having loads of fun trying to find an ideal HUD for myself. No longer having to juggle OXP folders /OXZ files is a great thing.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

spara wrote:
put a small price tag on a software upgrade and a bigger one for a hardware upgrade?
Good idea, moreover there is enough room in these oversized ships to place more screens near the pilot. So first must buy some HUDs as equipments in a base then you can select/change your acutal HUD during flight from the bought ones, regardless from the software or hardware nature (press a switch or turn your chair).
spara wrote:
And maybe even consider the possibility of a breaking HUD, that would revert to the standard HUD.
We already have Breakable HUD OXP by Capt. Murphy, but a good reason to buy more HUDs as spares to use another if one get damaged.
Zireael wrote:
This OXP is a must-have, I'm having loads of fun trying to find an ideal HUD for myself. No longer having to juggle OXP folders /OXZ files is a great thing.
Thanks, although need support from authors or find new tricks to get more HUDs into.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Norby wrote:
... although need support from authors...
I'll look at this for both my HUDs in the future. I think my users have probably had enough re-issues for now, but they will probably need updates at some point, so that will be the oportunity.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Norby wrote:
... although need support from authors...
I'll look at this for both my HUDs in the future. I think my users have probably had enough re-issues for now, but they will probably need updates at some point, so that will be the oportunity.
Well, that's the beautiful thing about the OXZ system.. updates are quick and painless.. checking for and installing any updates is now a routine part of my game-start procedure.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Well, that's the beautiful thing about the OXZ system.. updates are quick and painless
That is true, but within the last two weeks I have issued three iterations of CombatHUD, and released Smart HUD which I expect has been adopted by some CombatHUD users as well as others. Update fatigue could be setting in, so I'm not going to hurry another re-release out just yet, unless I have to.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] HUD Selector v1.1

Post by Norby »

In [EliteWiki] v1.1:
-In the Interfaces (F4) screen you can select one from the installed HUDs.
-You can set the default values of your MFDs in the same interface (an important feature).
-The selected HUD and MFDs are saved into the savegame.
-The included Original and Small HUDs has 8 MFDs.

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] HUD Selector v1.1

Post by mossfoot »

Norby wrote:
In [EliteWiki] v1.1:
-In the Interfaces (F4) screen you can select one from the installed HUDs.
-You can set the default values of your MFDs in the same interface (an important feature).
-The selected HUD and MFDs are saved into the savegame.
-The included Original and Small HUDs has 8 MFDs.

Much appreciated!

Had a strange glitch that might not be connected. When I checked the HUD settings in F4 at the coreolis station then went to trade goods the Market Observer features were gone. (high, low average, etc). When I left the station and hit F8, the same was true. It was fixed however the moment I redocked. Dunno if it's connected, though...
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] HUD Selector v1.2

Post by Norby »

Thanks, fixed in [EliteWiki] v1.2.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

You can set the default values of your MFDs in the same interface (an important feature)
Love this feature!
StathisR
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by StathisR »

Very nice! The MFDs settings and the fact that they are saved make MFDs more manageable in the game.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Thank you, although the current solution is limited due to there is not any function to get the current state of the MFDs if changed by the player during flight. So the player must set everything in the "HUD and MFD selector" interface and any changes in flight will be overwritten by these settings at the next launch.

I put a list of included MFDs into the wiki to help install all of them.

The BroadcastCommsMFD is not ready yet, I used a very static version for the screenshots and hope the real one will be ready soon.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] HUD Selector v1.3

Post by Norby »

In [EliteWiki] v1.3:
-MFD setup changes during flight are saved (need Oolite 1.81).
-Original and Small HUDs has 10 MFDs and scanner zoom up to 16x.
-Support in Original and Small HUDs for CombatMFD's target status.