Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Mossfoot's Tales of Woe...

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Mossfoot's Tales of Woe...

Post by SteveKing »

“So, how did it go?”

“Took a while to set up, but I managed yet again to pull our sorry backsides out of the fire.”

“Did he like the proposal?”

“Let’s just say that for a reduced fee, the contract conditions don’t change; except ‘Clause D’.”

“Is it worth the job then?”

“Let’s also say that there wasn’t a lot of choice in the matter. Oh he was very polite about it, but you do understand how much pressure he can bring to bear? He was very upset about the ship and he said getting hold of another is up there with Heisenberg’s bit of wisdom.”

“What, ‘A series of very bad decisions’?”

“No you great nonce; ‘The closer you get to it, the less likely it’s achievable’.”

“So what does that mean?”

“Oh for Pete’s… Agidaean preserve us. It means,” said Mrs Smith, with a pointed calmness to her voice that she didn’t feel, “that we start again. Lay in a course for Xexedi and put a waypoint through Xeer, I’ve got to check up on something. Oh and fire the Hyperradio scanner up again.”

---
Great adventure MF. Hopefully Hyperradio's tuned in right for when the next one starts :D
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

mossfoot wrote:

I looked over at her and gave her a smile. “I say, enough of this thinking garbage, let’s have some fun.”

Mossfoot’s Karma: Launch.”

----

End

ok that last word scared me.... it cant be can it????
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
ok that last word scared me.... it cant be can it????
Kinda hit me like a bucket of ice-cold water too..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

You have to admit without another story arc this is nicely rounded off.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I admitted that to myself even while the icy water was dripping from me..

Still doesn't mean I have to like the idea, though.. :wink: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

That just the end of one story. I'm quite busy with work right now and I'm waiting for a certain OXP to be finished before I start a new campaign.

I'm thinking the next story will be told from Violet's POV, though I don't know if it'll be first person
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

And in case you're wondering about the new ship and its paint job...

Many MANY thanks to Paradox for this bit of custom awesomeness.

Oh, and I changed the name of the ship to one I had forgotten I'd always wanted to use: Viaticus Rex. ;)
Last edited by mossfoot on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

mossfoot wrote:
Many MANY thanks to Paradox for this bit of custom awesomeness.
Hehe! See, I CAN do triangles! };]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
Oh, and I changed the name of the ship to one I had forgotten I'd always wanted to use: Viaticus Rex. ;)
<chuckles>
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

If anyone knows Latin, I'd love to know how you'd ACTUALLY write "King of a Journey". Viaticus is an adjective pertaining to a journey, and of course Rex is King. But together Google Translate insists that it means "Money King" (which is an amusing and ironic coincidence given MF's station in life and aspirations ;) )

It's the name I gave my recumbent bike before I biked across Canada, and naturally it felt fitting to use it here (with my intended but no doubt misused meaning)

As for the story, I'm currently re-posting them on my website (with images accompanying them) to make it easier to collect into one lump sum by the end. I'll be curious to see how long the story turns out to be, actually... 50K, maybe?
--

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

A good story well written. Maybe we could take this opportunity to reinvigorate the fiction section of the wiki?

I see (and it is an odd vision so bare with me) uniform novel images with the contents sitting behind in neat pdfs. I don't mind hosting (after all I've done the maps for these few years) what do you think?

Clym
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

The first hit I find Googling the Latin word for "journey" is iter, genitive itineris - the root of English words such as "itinerant" and "reiterate", for a start. So "King of {a/the} Journey" would be Rex itineris, because you must use the genitive case in this construction (compare with Victor ludorum "winner of {the} games"; ludus singular, ludorum genitive plural). It looks, from a quick search, as if this word viaticus, which I did not know, means something like "thing you would need for a journey", so it can mean "travel money" but also some other "journey provisions".
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Malacandra wrote:
The first hit I find Googling the Latin word for "journey" is iter, genitive itineris - the root of English words such as "itinerant" and "reiterate", for a start. So "King of {a/the} Journey" would be Rex itineris, because you must use the genitive case in this construction (compare with Victor ludorum "winner of {the} games"; ludus singular, ludorum genitive plural). It looks, from a quick search, as if this word viaticus, which I did not know, means something like "thing you would need for a journey", so it can mean "travel money" but also some other "journey provisions".
I would consider a spaceship fairly essential for a journey through space. So it's still quite fitting! };]
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

doing a google translate of "King of the Journey" you get " Rex in Itinere "

but as to how good this is i have my doubts. this looks like just a word for word conversion. Itinere Rex would be closer but i bow to Malacandra's Itineris Rex.

it translates my name to ..... XLII spud. no word for spud in latin? Potato gets translated as .... Capsicum annuum !!!! good old google...lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

spud42 wrote:
doing a google translate of "King of the Journey" you get " Rex in Itinere "

but as to how good this is i have my doubts. this looks like just a word for word conversion. Itinere Rex would be closer but i bow to Malacandra's Itineris Rex.

it translates my name to ..... XLII spud. no word for spud in latin? Potato gets translated as .... Capsicum annuum !!!! good old google...lol
Itinere (and you would pronounce the terminal e) is the ablative case - you would use it such context as "with the journey" or "on the journey". The Latin preposition in does indeed mean "in" (or "on") when used with the ablative case, as in Cacatne ursus in silva?, "does the bear $#1t in the wood?". When used with the accusative case it instead means "into", as in ex tenta in tentam mingere, "outside the tent p155ing in". So Rex in Itinere might pass muster as "King on a journey" but not "King of the Journey". Google Translate can only do so much. :mrgreen:
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.