[Release] Font: Dangerous: Square v1.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [Release] Font: Dangerous: Square v1.1

Post by milinks »

Diziet Sma wrote:
The Oolite thread on the Pandora Forum has some more info and feedback on this, if you're inclined to look into it. I do know that if you succeeded in coming up with a font that looked good on that display, you'd earn the undying gratitude of quite a lot of Pandora-Oolite fans.. :wink:
I can DEFINTELY second that, if you could "fix" the font issues which could help the Pandora users, we would forever be in your debt :)
It's amazing just how much progress day to day is being made with regards to all avenues of oolite, respect to all that make it so good! :)

The screenshots of the font are so crisp and clean, and something like that would be amazing for the Pandora :) that is, respecting the effort that edge is and has already put in to making it happen...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Going by the current state of affairs in the Pandora forum's Oolite: Legible font project thread, a proper solution will probably require a collaborative effort between edgepixel, ptitSeb, and the Oolite devs.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Probably. In the meantime, if the small font on the Pandora is a problem, given that the game has to be patched a little for the Pandora anyway, why not make the ANA text size a bit bigger?

Here's a little patch against current 1.80 which ups the font size to size 12 from size 8. Looks okay on my screen - still just about readable with the default Helvetica font at only 400 pixels wide. There's a bit more overlap between names on particular routes, but it's not too bad.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cool.. I've cross-posted it to the Pandora forum so that ptitSeb will see it.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I really like this font, but with the Market Observer, the recorded Min - Ave - Max prices gets shunted over to overlap with the product names. Can this be fixed?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

edgepixel, could I trouble you to send me personally the background pics in a zip?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

edgepixel, I second that request for a zip of the images, or even links to where the images are. I've found a few myself, but I can't track down all of them.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Thirded. Those are effin sweet and I'd love to update 1.8 with it.

I'll also update my font to Dangerous: Square if the alignment problem with Market Observer.
--

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

mossfoot wrote:
Thirded. Those are effin sweet and I'd love to update 1.8 with it.

I'll also update my font to Dangerous: Square if the alignment problem with Market Observer.
The problem is in the Market Observer's end. I'll see if I can do something about it.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Market Observer (2.3) should now work with this oxp. Numbers in Dangerous Square font seem to be wider than the default fonts, so the market screen is noticeably more crowded.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Woot! Looking forward to a new HUD and new font now :D (and with luck a new ship in my hardcore game!)

N
--

phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

If you use Dangerous Square, you might be interested in this tweak to fix the column layout in the contract screens: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50#p240262