I may be going slightly mad.......

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I may be going slightly mad.......

Post by spud42 »

crank up the old soldering iron mate.... time for a cut and paste job..
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

I did. Within an hour of posting I was testing the fixed pad. Of course there was a slight fly in the ointment....... As I am migrating to the larger laptop as my primary portable oolite machine I had forgotten to install xboxdrv. Although it has to be said oolite picked up the pad using the linux inbuilt xpad driver....... So it sort of worked but my buttons weren't defined and the yaw was working on stick 2 but I had to use up down to get left right :lol:

Corrected this and all is well. I find sun skimming, in 1.81, is now very disorientating as the 'corona' seems to be rotating. This causes me to list to the right in my chair which is fine except my sick bag is on the left :mrgreen:

Great fun being had especially with the ability to tune the joystick response curves which allows superb control of your ship and the enhanced graphics are out of this world. I have now managed to finish the wood frame for the horses water trough, despite the buggered finger, so I am hoping to get on and attend to my key pad shortly. I still need to get the cog sets for the flight stick and throttle. Although......... Having gutted the other xbox pad I have both the pots from the triggers which are self contained units. They are 10K and have the reduced angle of rotation so in theory I could use one directly coupled to a lever as the throttle control.

I also had a bash at taking the pots off the gimbals. But these proved to be open units so would not function separately from the gimbal unit. There is a possibility that the gimbal could be modded with a longer stick. There is a hole though the middle of the stick stub so a piece of piano wire could be inserted to add strength to an added length of plastic that beefs up the existing stub to which the 'handle' is affixed. Obviously the physical travel limits would have to be set accurately to prevent damage to the pots by over extending the angle of travel.

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Bangbangduck wrote:
Corrected this and all is well. I find sun skimming, in 1.81, is now very disorientating as the 'corona' seems to be rotating.
You might find the corona_shimmer and/or corona_hues [wiki]planetinfo.plist[/wiki] settings useful here.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Cheers Cim

I'm not complaining :lol: It all adds to the immersion. I have taken a more practical approach to the effect it has on me though... I moved my sick bag to the right :lol:

BBD Loving every minute of 1.80/1.81
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Bangbangduck wrote: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:10 pm
I quite like playing Oolite. To the extent where I fancy making a dedicated keyboard.
Using the rather nice keyboard layout PDF from the oolite wiki I've used Gimp to set out the keygroups. Currently It's at eight.
Well? What did it look like? Did it fall to bits when you tried it out? Are you still playing Oolite?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?