Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Andromeda OXP v1.5

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [WIP] Andromeda OXP v1.2

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
With only 7LY in the tank, you really have to think carefully before you make a 6.8LY jump to that Anarchy system ...
<nods sagely> I only make 6.8ly jumps when I absolutely have to, no matter the destination system!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Disembodied wrote:
It does affect game balance, though, not least because it allows you to scoot around all over the place on injectors. With only 7LY in the tank, you really have to think carefully before you make a 6.8LY jump to that Anarchy system ...
oh yes, and died from it too.....
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
With only 7LY in the tank, you really have to think carefully before you make a 6.8LY jump to that Anarchy system ...
<nods sagely> I only make 6.8ly jumps when I absolutely have to, no matter the destination system!
Yup.. I'll cheerfully loiter in the aegis for an hour or more, if need be, real time, to hitch a lift to a dangerous 6.8LY system.. beats arriving with near-dry tanks.. especially if I intend to liquidate a RH mark there.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I'll cheerfully loiter in the aegis for an hour or more...
Loitering in the aegis can be quite entertaining, as it happens - some of the comms chatter amuses me greatly.

Apologies to Norby for the slight derailment.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Cody wrote:
the core Viper Interceptor carries 16ly of fuel.
This is an NPC-only setting, players must use OXP equipments or [EliteWiki] Fuel stations to get more fuel.

Large tank is expectable in [EliteWiki] BigShips (I put pictures into this wiki page now).

If a big ship is playable then logical to make a built-in fuel solution, especially if will carry (and refuel) normal sized ships which is planned in Andromeda. ;)
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Cody wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
Something I learned the hard way ;)
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Coming to this a bit late - had a play with this tonight, for various reasons I think I won't be adopting this as my ship of choice (it makes long cargo hauls ridiculously easy, which I don't feel is right for the setting) but I noticed one thing which I thought I should mention - a ship this big and powerful should be as rare as hen's teeth, but once I had the pack loaded I seemed to see at least one in every system I visited. I'd expected to have to find a really high-tech world to buy one, but they seemed to be everywhere. Often they were the only ship on sale, which seems crazy for something that size and cost. Maybe this could stand to be tweaked a little?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Andromeda OXP v1.3

Post by Norby »

Thank you, occurrences toned down in v1.3. Maybe another reason if you have [wiki]BigShips_OXP[/wiki] but this big ship alone: install a few more from the list in this wiki page to spread the types of big traders in main lanes.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Andromeda OXP v1.3

Post by ffutures »

No, this is the only big ship I had.

It's a fun ride, but it just isn't a challenge - it seems to be well-nigh indestructible, and you can keep the afterburners running more or less forever if you need to make a getaway. I crossed Galaxy 4 NE to SW in about 2 hours of play, and made about a quarter million on the trip, it just didn't feel right for me.

Also, am I right to think that you can't dock with rock hermits, and are comprehensively screwed if the autodock is ever damaged?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Andromeda OXP v1.4

Post by Norby »

ffutures wrote:
you can't dock with rock hermits, and are comprehensively screwed if the autodock is ever damaged?
Right, so in v1.4 I made my original concept: an unarmed CargoShip will be launched from Andromeda when you target the station and dock instead of the main ship. Good backup if Shift+C is out of order and provide a realistic solution.

The concept and ship model is based on Thargoid's [wiki]HammerHead[/wiki].
Last edited by Norby on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, but that still leaves you outside the station - not good if you need maintenance or repairs.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Try it: you will be docked when your cargo is arrive, so you can order everything as usual.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, thanks. When I've finished the current cargo run in my Boa I'll give it a try.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, tried it quickly - couldn't actually get the Andromeda damaged despite several fights, but the docking part with cargo pod certainly works.
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: [Release] Andromeda OXP v1.5

Post by kcallis »

I just ended up with the andromeda, and for the life of me, I can't seem to send my cargo ship to the station. I have tried to target the station, and i still can't seem to get the cargo ship to launch.