Oocyclopedia

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Oocyclopedia

Post by Disembodied »

Clearly, the ships have some ability to deflect/nullify inertia and momentum, because pilots aren't routinely removed from inside their ships with a spatula and a sponge. Equally clearly, since the drives don't burn fuel during intra-system flight, they're reactionless. Personally, I've gone for fake gravity on board ships. They're using magic physics anyway, so there's no need to explain it. Just state it, if you want. I've assumed that stations have centripetal gravity, on the assumption that the shipboard fake gravity is a product of their (wholly non-Newtonian) drives, but that stations use their own rotation for gravity because a) it's cheaper, and saves having great lumping starship engines all over the place (one starship engine might only produce one ship's worth of gravity); b) it allows for variations in gravity, from the core to the edge; and c) they have to rotate anyway, to avoid overheating.

Pick what suits the story, and don't sweat the explanations, is my advice. If there's a consistent feel to your story then the audience will go with it.
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Personally, I'm for what Dsmb said, some sort of localised field for in-ship gravity/inertia dampening as a function of the ships Torus Drive. E.E 'Doc' Smith wrote about inertialess drives decades ago. One scene I remember from the Lensman series had two ships on different vectors slam together inertialessly for a quick transfer of some precious cargo (a fabled lens bracelet), once the ships (and their respective) inertialess fields separated, the lens had to be cushioned in a dampener before the ship exited from its inertialess state, elsewise the bracelet became a hyperspeed projectile.

In a neat loose end tie, how else could ships dock under injectors :D

As for a station and its inertial gravity, the core is perfect for a spacedock, and the margins perfect for variable gravity for the occupants. It adds a little comic potential for space newbies to exit from a ship to reduced gravity at the dock as they pass out of the Torus field's range (or vice verca). Although, perhaps the field generally extends to the nearest lift away from the station core.
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Cody wrote:
I dislike using 'Galaxy' to describe what can only be a sector - I prefer 'Octant', but that's not in-game, or in any fiction that I'm aware of.
Archimedes Elite did have names for all eight of them though:
  • G1. Santaari
    G2. Colesque
    G3. Lara’tan
    G4. Angiana
    G5. Proximus
    G6. Sol
    G7. Jaftra
    G8. Xrata
Most of those are okay, but not all - I think I used some of them in Kaxgar, as it happens.

For some local colour that many players would recognise, see ClymAngus' vector maps here. Oh yeah - it's standard time, as far as I know.
G6 is Sol? What? Why?