Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] Sound Absent

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Solved] Sound Absent

Post by mandoman »

I just put a new semi-gaming computer down in my shop area. It has two 3.5GHz processors, 4GBs RAM, and other good stuff. I'm running Linux Mint Mate 16 64bit on it. When I downloaded, and installed Oolite 1.77.1 64bit, the graphics were very jittery, but the sound was fine. So I decided to uninstall and try the 32bit version. The graphics are fantastic, but I don't have any sound. Here is what Latest.log has to say.

Code: Select all

18:25:59.514 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
18:25:59.522 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/laserhits.ogg".
18:25:59.522 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/ecm.ogg".
18:25:59.522 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/missile.ogg".
18:25:59.522 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/guiclick.ogg".
18:25:59.522 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/beep.ogg".
18:25:59.522 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/trumble.ogg".
18:25:59.522 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/ecm.ogg".
18:25:59.522 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/warning.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/hit.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/boop.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/hullbang.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/laser.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/buy.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/breakpattern.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/bigbang.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/witchabort.ogg".
18:25:59.523 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/ecm.ogg".
18:25:59.524 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/trumblesqueal.ogg".
18:25:59.524 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/sell.ogg".
18:25:59.524 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/bigbang.ogg".
18:25:59.524 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/scoop.ogg".
18:25:59.524 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/hullbang.ogg".
18:25:59.524 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/afterburner1.ogg".
18:25:59.531 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/trumble.ogg".
18:25:59.531 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/trumblesqueal.ogg".
18:25:59.553 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/afterburner1.ogg".
Have there been any others with this issue, or does anyone have any idea what is happening with this lack of ability to load sound? Thanks.
Last edited by Getafix on Mon May 12, 2014 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as "Solved".
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Sound Absent

Post by CommRLock78 »

That is unusual. How is sound for other things besides Oolite? Do you have some fancy audio hardware?
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And I'd also double-check the .ogg files are actually there (go look using Nautilus or your file browser of choice). If so try playing them manually (outside the game) to confirm that they are installed correctly and haven't been corrupted somewhere along the line.

Also did you completely uninstall the 64-bit before you installed the 32-bit version? Given the 64-bit played fine it doesn't sound like something fundamental with your rig set-up, but if you either didn't uninstall the 64-bit or did so after installing the 32-bit one, then perhaps the installers have got a bit mixed up and your ogg files might have been removed incorrectly by the uninstall perhaps?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Also, when you said "other good stuff", you didn't mention the graphics card. Presumably, it's a reasonably decent bit of gear too. Are you sure you have it properly set up with the best drivers?

I run 64bit Oolite on Mint16 Cinnamon, with a lowly 1.73 GHz CPU, 3GB of RAM, and a pokey old ATI X2300 without getting jittery graphics. Whatever caused your original problems, I doubt it was Oolite64 that was to blame. Sounds more likely to be a graphics driver/configuration problem to me.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Thargoid wrote:
And I'd also double-check the .ogg files are actually there (go look using Nautilus or your file browser of choice). If so try playing them manually (outside the game) to confirm that they are installed correctly and haven't been corrupted somewhere along the line.

Also did you completely uninstall the 64-bit before you installed the 32-bit version? Given the 64-bit played fine it doesn't sound like something fundamental with your rig set-up, but if you either didn't uninstall the 64-bit or did so after installing the 32-bit one, then perhaps the installers have got a bit mixed up and your ogg files might have been removed incorrectly by the uninstall perhaps?
CommRLock78 wrote:
That is unusual. How is sound for other things besides Oolite? Do you have some fancy audio hardware?
Yeah, I checked the sounds out of the game, and they work fine. In fact it was kind of funky to have the "Shuffle" on, as every sound I tried then switched to one I had already tried, and on, and on. I do have a SoundBlaster card installed, but it seems to work fine with everything but Oolite. I've checked all the sound settings to make sure it's all activated, un-muted, and tested. With the "lspci" command, it shows the SoundBlaster card as installed, and recognized.

03:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
03:00.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 07)
I loaded the 64bit version first, but I completely removed it from the system with Nautilus before installing the 32bit version. I suppose there could be some residual left from the 64bit. Diziet Sma has a point, though. Why wouldn't the game run smoothly using the 64bit version. Surely I don't need an NVidea GeForce 8800 GTX card to play Oolite, do I?
Diziet Sma wrote:
Also, when you said "other good stuff", you didn't mention the graphics card. Presumably, it's a reasonably decent bit of gear too. Are you sure you have it properly set up with the best drivers?

I run 64bit Oolite on Mint16 Cinnamon, with a lowly 1.73 GHz CPU, 3GB of RAM, and a pokey old ATI X2300 without getting jittery graphics. Whatever caused your original problems, I doubt it was Oolite64 that was to blame. Sounds more likely to be a graphics driver/configuration problem to me.
Well, the other good stuff isn't installed yet, like the NVidea GeForce 8800 GTX video card. I have another HDD, not yet plugged into the system, on which I plan to load Win. XP, and all the drivers, and firmware for both the GeForce card, and the MB. That will be strictly for Windows based video games, like "The Force Unleashed". I don't see why that should effect Oolite, though, as I have the basics already installed, and the onboard video is really good all on it's own, and even better than what my Inspiron laptop has, also 64bit.
I know I'm probably missing something, as Thargoid can tell you, but it may be a trick figuring out what it is. I'm still working on it, but I thought I would throw the question out to the Linux users of Oolite while I was at it.

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wow.. I didn't know anyone was still using SB Live cards.. :shock:

Given the motherboard needed to handle those CPUs, etc, I'd have thought the onboard sound would be better than anything a SoundBlaster could produce..

I think we're missing something here.. what is the make and model of the motherboard? I'm curious to find out what the onboard graphics are.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Wow.. I didn't know anyone was still using SB Live cards.. :shock:

Given the motherboard needed to handle those CPUs, etc, I'd have thought the onboard sound would be better than anything a SoundBlaster could produce..

I think we're missing something here.. what is the make and model of the motherboard? I'm curious to find out what the onboard graphics are.
Asus Pegasus MB, AMBIOS, Intel Pentium 4 5800 X 2 CPU @ 3.5GHz, 320 GB HDD. You may be right about that SoundBlaster card. It's one I had on another computer with crappy on-board sound. I've tried the on-board, and the SoundBlaster, and I can't really see any difference just listening to music. Might have to get a newer one, eventually. Part of the problem may have to do with the yet un-installed XP drive, which will have the drivers, and firmware for the GeForce card, AND the Motherboard. I have a friend that builds gaming computers, and he did one for me on the cheap side out of friendship. The BIOS is already set up, but the CD I'm waiting for will have anything it will need to recover/upgrade/whatever. I'm waiting on the drivers and firmware so I can partition the second drive, and put all that info on the second partition. Then the GeForce card will go in, and I'll get it set up.

I really don't see why any of this should matter for this sound problem.

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I agree, it shouldn't matter.. and the graphics issues shouldn't be happening either.. something strange is going on, for sure.

Could you post the full output of lspci, please?
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

The linux oolite installer (the one delivered at oolite.org) first checks if another installation (from same installer without caring about 32bit or 64bit) is there,
and proceeds to complete (at least the files that are known to the installer) uninstall before proceeding to installation.

I would go for the 64bit installation and try to troubleshoot it.
Please, install the 64bit version and let's take it from there.

1. Open a terminal
2. Execute the following and post the results here:

$ uname -a
$ ldd ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite
$ cd /
$ find . -name oolite -print 2> /dev/null
$ cd        # this is just to return you to your home directory
$ ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite
If oolite runs in fullscreen mode press F12 and go to windowed mode.
3. Do you have sound?
4. Do you see any performance improvement when reducing the oolite wndow size?
5. Are there any messages posted in the terminal when executing oolite?
6. Post again the contents of the ~/.Oolite/Logs/Latest.log here, please (log produced after the execution of the previous steps :wink: ).

EDIT: Bullets numbering updated. Bullet 6 updated
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

I will take your advice in a day or two. I have installed the GeForce card, after receiving the software from the builder, and loaded Windows on the other drive. Only problem is that Micro#$^@$#^ doesn't like the driver. Not even the one from the NVidea site. The card is not set up right, so my Linux drive won't boot until I either resolve the driver problem, or remove the card. I'm sorry for the delay, after having come for your help. I'll try to get this straightened out, one way or another, as soon as possible. I do appreciate your help. :oops:

Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

No worries man, take your time! :wink:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Well, I'm back with even weirder news. First, I have reached the conclusion that my GeForce card is bad. However, the on-board graphics are amazing in itself, so Oolite should be a cinch. There's only a couple of problems. Not only do I now have no sound in the game, but the game is no longer detecting my AddOns folder entries. That has not happened since I first started playing the game. Here is a look at my Latest.log.

Opening log for Oolite version 1.77.1 (x86-32) under Linux 3.11.0-12-generic at 2014-05-08 21:44:42 -0500.
2 processors detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

21:44:42.692 [dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
21:44:42.744 [sdl.init.audio.failed]: Mix_OpenAudio: No available audio device

21:44:42.745 [display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 1280 x 1024
21:44:42.766 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
21:44:42.771 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.4.0 ("1.4 Mesa 9.2.1"). Vendor: "Intel Open Source Technology Center". Renderer: "Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 ".
21:44:42.771 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (74):
GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_texture, GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_NV_blend_square
21:44:42.786 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
21:44:42.786 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
21:44:42.786 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Strict mode - resource path:
    ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources
21:44:42.922 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
21:44:42.964 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/laserhits.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/ecm.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/missile.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/guiclick.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/beep.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/trumble.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/ecm.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/warning.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/hit.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/boop.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/hullbang.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/laser.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/buy.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/breakpattern.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/bigbang.ogg".
21:44:42.965 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/witchabort.ogg".
21:44:42.966 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/trumblesqueal.ogg".
21:44:42.966 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/sell.ogg".
21:44:42.966 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/bigbang.ogg".
21:44:42.966 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/scoop.ogg".
21:44:42.966 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/hullbang.ogg".
21:44:42.966 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/afterburner1.ogg".
21:44:42.969 [script.javascript.init]: JavaScript reset successful.
21:44:42.981 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 9 world scripts:
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.77.1
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.77.1
    oolite-contracts-cargo 1.77.1
    oolite-contracts-helpers 1.77.1
    oolite-contracts-parcels 1.77.1
    oolite-contracts-passengers 1.77.1
    oolite-nova 1.77.1
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.77.1
    oolite-trumbles 1.77.1
21:44:42.982 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/trumble.ogg".
21:44:42.982 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/trumblesqueal.ogg".
21:44:43.007 [sound.load.failed]: Could not load a sound from "/home/mandoman/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Sounds/afterburner1.ogg".
21:44:43.538 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 0.83 seconds. ==========
21:44:50.159 [exit.context]: Exiting: Shift-escape pressed.
21:44:50.160 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2014-05-08 21:44:50 -0500.
Notice where it says there is no audio device available? That's strange, as I was just listening to music through that audio device not an hour past.

It is strange, and I don't pretend to understand what has happened. I have made sure all on-board graphics are working well, and switched on in the BIOS, so I don't see why the game is having a hard time on this computer. Heck, I even unplugged the drive that had Windows XP on it, so they wouldn't have a chance of confusing the system (that has happened to me a couple of times). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. :(

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

There is some very weird stuff going on, for sure.. I was wondering if some might be related to the recent Oolite problems Nvidia drivers are causing on some Windows machines at the moment, but I see you're not using that card at the moment.
mandoman wrote:
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. :(
You could try Getafix's suggestions above..
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=218013#p218013
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

For the add-ons case, could it be that you are using a symbolic link "AddOns" to point to an actual AddOns folder?
We had a case, sometime in the past (not pointing fingers here! :) ),
where add-ons could not be detected because oolite installation is replacing the symbolic link AddOns by an actual empty AddOns folder.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The middle line below may indicate that you've put the game accidentally in strict mode, which would account for a lack of add-ons?

21:44:42.786 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
21:44:42.786 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Strict mode - resource path:
    ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources
21:44:42.922 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
[/color]