[Release] Navigation MFD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [Release] Navigation MFD 1.3.1

Post by Cody »

Thanks, cim - I should've posted that in the Bugs section, as it affected my hud's built-in target system display too.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Minor bug report, for a very rare edge case: In G5, if you're in either Divees or Tezabi, and your target system is the other system (Divees or Tezabi), the Hyperdrive status will always say "No target system set".

I think both these systems have the same co-ordinates which is probably causing the confusion. Actually, it is rather confusing to have two systems with the same co-ordinates. Is there some hand-wavium that explains this?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote:
I think both these systems have the same co-ordinates which is probably causing the confusion. Actually, it is rather confusing to have two systems with the same co-ordinates. Is there some hand-wavium that explains this?
It's no mystery - the two planets orbit the same star. There are a few other such pairs.
phkb

Post by phkb »

<slaps forehead> Of course. I should've realised that! I'll have to head back to Lave for some remedial astro-navigation training.
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Wildeblood wrote:
phkb wrote:
It's no mystery - the two planets orbit the same star. There are a few other such pairs.
I would suggest that they are binary stars, not planets (they are different suns).

This really is a issue for the trunk to fix, as now in 1.81 it is possible to move one of the stars a fraction so that they can both be selected in the navigation windows. As it stands they cause a problem for contract deliveries.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
phkb

Post by phkb »

Another minor bug report: If you have a compass destination set (like Planet), then go to the F5, F6, F7 or F8 pages, and then go back to your main screen, the "Space Compass Target" shows "Initializing..." but never goes back to the original setting.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

phkb wrote:
Another minor bug report: If you have a compass destination set (like Planet), then go to the F5, F6, F7 or F8 pages, and then go back to your main screen, the "Space Compass Target" shows "Initializing..." but never goes back to the original setting.
I'm having trouble reproducing this. I launch, switch the MFD on and it works ok. I switch to F5 and back to F1 and it still works. Did I understand you correctly?

I'll check the other report later. Thanks for reporting :D .
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

phkb wrote:
I've seen that happen too, but don't recall the exact circumstances.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

It seems to work fine here - just had a quick test.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

That's weird. I'm running Win64 Oolite, and I think that might be the difference. On looking at the code I found this:

Code: Select all

this.compassTargetChanged = function(whom, mode) {
	this.$targetName = "Initializing...";
	if (!whom) return;//null case
"whom" is showing up as null on my machine when returning from any of the display screens (F5-F8) (I put a debug message in here), so "this.$targetName" never gets set back to the original setting.

It appears that the compassTargetChangedevent is firing for each of the F5-F8 screens, even if the compass target hasn't changed. I suspect this is only happening on Windows.

In any event, I changed the code to this and everything works fine:

Code: Select all

this.compassTargetChanged = function(whom, mode) {
	var hold = this.$targetName;
	this.$targetName = "Initializing...";
	if (!whom) {
		this.$targetName = hold;
		return;//null case
	}
I'd be interested in knowing whether the event is firing as often on Linux or Mac.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

PHKB, are you using numeric HUD, perchance?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Actually, no. I'm using the coluber hud with personal mods. You suspect the hud is the culprit?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Wait, just had a thought. One of my mods was to switch the hud from the full version to a cut down version when going to one of the F5-8 screen.s. I'm turning off the space compass, then turning it back on when an exterior view is selected. Thus the null reference in whom. Sorry, my fault. No bug. I screwed up.
Last edited by phkb on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote:
Actually, no. I'm using the coluber hud with personal mods. You suspect the hud is the culprit?
Only if your mods include a simplified HUD with no compass in GUI views. (I haven't tried Numeric HUD, but know it's popular and assume it changes to a simpler HUD because of the mess it puts centre of screen.)

Did you happen to log the mode as well as the target in your experiments? Having a null target implies (1) player is docked (2) interstellar space system, or (3) compass not shown on HUD.

Addendum: I knew it!
phkb wrote:
Wait, just had a thought. One of my mods was to switch the hud from the full version to a cut down version when going to one of the F5-8 screen.s. I'm turning off the space compass, then turning it back on when an exterior view is selected.
Pro-tip: Place the compass off screen by setting both x and x_origin positive. To avoid the problem you had, the compass has to be drawn on the HUD, but it doesn't have to be drawn on the screen.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Navigation MFD 1.3.2

Post by spara »

A new version (1.3.2).

* Twin systems work correctly in 1.81. In 1.80 player.ship.targetSystem seems to give a wrong system in twin systems.
* Snitched a better padding method from oolite-contracts-helpers.js.
* Little optimization.