WIP: witchdrive/Torus gameplay "fix"

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: WIP: witchdrive/Torus gameplay "fix"

Post by Sendraks »

Interesting OXP, although definitely not something I'd like to see included in the core game. As a player who uses his Torus drive to aggressively head towards pirates/thargoids, this would pretty much kill a lot of my fun.

And the rest of the time I try to avoid Torus driving into objects in space.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Deep Space Pirates OXP modding offers another way to muck with the torus drive -- spawn random boulders and asteroids in front of the player at random times...sometimes perfectly in front of the player. You won't be able to just start the torus and let it run for hours without watching it.
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

Switeck wrote:
Deep Space Pirates OXP modding offers another way to muck with the torus drive -- spawn random boulders and asteroids in front of the player at random times...sometimes perfectly in front of the player. You won't be able to just start the torus and let it run for hours without watching it.
Which goes a long way to explain why I occasionally get those VERY large, Python eating lumps of rock heading right for me.
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

I'd rather see the Torus drive to remove the damage aborbing capacity of shields while it is active, because I agree it shouldn't enable the player to just "bulldoze" through stuff. I'd be quite happy to see that worked into the core game.

But having the drive deactivate the shields and force the player to wait for them to recharge upon exiting Torus drive is just going to create tedium. Instead of "ooh look, there are Thargoids attacking, I'll torus drive over to assist" and allow the player to get stuck in, you'll have " "ooh look, there are Thargoids attacking, I could torus drive over to assist, but can I be arsed to wait for the shields to recharge first?"

The former is inkeeping with the fast paced, exciting combat at the heart of Oolite. The latter is not.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

That's the magic of OXPs -- every one can have (almost) his own game.

As for your suggestion, one misses event handlers like torusDriveEngaged(bool) and perhaps injectorsInUse(bool) in order to restore shields when appropriate. Which could be useful in other scripts too. Right now as you can see one has to deduce what is in use from the current speed of the ship.
josef050153
Poor
Poor

Post by josef050153 »

Exists any Liink for that OXP?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I guess the lack of response means the answer is no. But welcome aboard anyway!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

josef050153 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:38 am
Exists any Liink for that OXP?
What aspect appealed to you? There are quite a few OXPs that tweak something related to the torus drive, including some that implement shield penalties. Cholmondely has summarized many (all?) of them here:

https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Torus_Drive

Moreover, there are similar OXPs for injectors. State of the art for scripting has also improved so it is possible to determine when torus or injectors are in use directly rather than by making assumptions based on speed.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

josef050153 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:38 am
Exists any Link for that OXP?
Sir Josef, welcome to the merry throng!

It seems that all that there is here is the .js script for you to add in to your game.

You can either add a new folder inside your AddOns folder, label the folder "Scripts" and place this script inside it called eg. "speed-fix.js" or you can use it to create your very .oxp.

If you do do this, don't forget to make sure that whatever text editor you use does not introduce invisible garbage into your new .js file!

Any relation to the chap with the magnificent cat & mouse?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?