Bug when picking up gold cargo

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Bug when picking up gold cargo

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Smivs wrote:
So, it's in the hold in a cargo pod, but shows up in the inventory as if it is in the safe, which I agree is daft and unhelpful :P
So how come you can't eject it again? :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Well, it's simple really...
When the Temporary Inflatable Transport System (T.I.T.S) is scooped it can be accidently deformed and/or partly deflated by the cargo handling kit in your ship (remember these are only made of thin bakingfoilium) and because of its potentially damaged nature the cargo gear is programmed to ignore it to prevent further damage. The station technicians are the only people who can ensure the contents are safely transfered to the safe, or sold.
:D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

:lol:

Can I hire you the next time I need an excuse for my girlfriend?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It would be a pleasure :) My prices are below:-
Pathetic reasons Cr 100
Lame excuses Cr 250*

*Plausible deniability built-in for an extra Cr15
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Diziet Sma wrote:
phkb wrote:
Some semi-related questions: When I scoop a fuel cell, and the fuel is immediately transferred to my onboard fuel tank, what happens to the empty canister? Does it still take up a spot in my cargo, or does it just vanish?
Umm.. you scoop "fuel cells"? :shock:

WTF? I've never seen one of those.. is that some OXP-added item?
Perhaps [EliteWiki] Cargo Wreck Teaser OXP?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

That or Pods OXP. Both introduce scoopable fuel and empty pods.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
So, it's in the hold in a cargo pod, but shows up in the inventory as if it is in the safe, which I agree is daft and unhelpful :P
The manifest shows the total tradable cargo carried by your ship, regardless of its location, and the total utilisation of your cargo hold space. I'm not sure what you mean by "shows up in the inventory as if it is in the safe".
Diziet Sma wrote:
So how come you can't eject it again? :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
It works for me: precious metal cargo in scooped pods can be ejected as any other cargo.
phkb wrote:
Some semi-related questions: When I scoop a fuel cell, and the fuel is immediately transferred to my onboard fuel tank, what happens to the empty canister?
There are two possibilities for a cargo canister: it can either contain cargo - which might inside the container be denominated in TC or in kg, doesn't matter - in which case you should be able to cycle to it to eject it; or it can contain scripted content, in which case something special will happen when you scoop it up (e.g. you gain some fuel), and the canister itself ceases to exist (and so can't be ejected again but isn't taking up hold space either).

The fuel cells and the "empty" canisters probably don't take up any space after scooping them, therefore. Nor does a particular unique cargo canister in the core game.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

cim wrote:
Smivs wrote:
The manifest shows the total tradable cargo carried by your ship, regardless of its location, and the total utilisation of your cargo hold space. I'm not sure what you mean by "shows up in the inventory as if it is in the safe".
Ha, no I just meant that because the manifest only shows the total, and these are normally kept in the safe, it might appear to all be in the safe.
</lame excuse>
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Just to make sure I've got this straight...

If I scoop gold (or gemstones or anything that would normally go in a safe) it shows in the manifest as if it's in the safe, although it's actually in a cargo canister that I can select for ejection. (I didn't realise this - I'll have to test!). Basically, if I scoop any sort of cargo from the core game, I should be able to select it for ejection.

So, not a bug as such, just a slightly confusing display on the manifest. It would be good to have some form of indicator on the manifest screen where the balance of space is hiding, even if it was just a * beside the item.

If I scoop a fuel cell (cargo_wrecks_teaser.oxp - I'd forgotten this is where the fuel cells were coming from!), it is scripted to immediately transfer the fuel and removes the container. I don't need to eject the empty canister.

Now, if I have 34 of 35t in my hold, I could scoop an endless supply of fuel cells (or until my fuel tank is full anyway). But if I have 35 of 35t, I can't scoop a single one - it blows out my front shields instead. Although I could sun skim and fill my tanks that way even though my hold is full.

I guess that's just more quirks, although with the cargo_wrecks_teaser.oxp rather than the core game.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote:

If I scoop gold (or gemstones or anything that would normally go in a safe) it shows in the manifest as if it's in the safe, although it's actually in a cargo canister that I can select for ejection. (I didn't realise this - I'll have to test!). Basically, if I scoop any sort of cargo from the core game, I should be able to select it for ejection.
<nods> Yep! Another quirk - if you scoop an escape capsule, it'll show on the manifest as slaves. Of course, it might actually contain a slave.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

phkb wrote:

If I scoop gold (or gemstones or anything that would normally go in a safe) it shows in the manifest as if it's in the safe, although it's actually in a cargo canister that I can select for ejection.
Not quite yet, because there is another quirk as well.

If you scoop (or buy) precious metals, they show in the manifest as being on your ship. Your manifest does not tell you where on your ship these cargoes are. Could be in the safe, or could be in your cargo hold.

This becomes important as soon as you have more than 1000 kg of precious metals on your ship, because your safe has only a capacity of 1000 kg. Anything above that quantity is stored in a cargo canister even when you launch from a station. In other words: 1001 kg of Gold and/or Platinum use 1 TC of cargo space permanently (1000 kg in the safe, 1 kg in a very empty container, that will fill up to 2000 kg). 2001 (and counting) kg of Gold and/or Platinum use 2 TC of cargo space, and so on. Thus, if you buy or scoop enough precious metals without selling them, your hold will slowly fill up with them.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
This becomes important as soon as you have more than 1000 kg of precious metals on your ship, because your safe has only a capacity of 1000 kg. Anything above that quantity is stored in a cargo canister...
I thought it was any amount above 500kg (or even above 499kg)?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Hmm...in that case it would be *really* useful to have some sort of flag/display element showing on the manifest that part of your cargo space is taken up with precious metals. Should I post this in the "Suggestions" area? I imagine it would be a simple OXP type job.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That sounds like a useful idea.. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cody wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
This becomes important as soon as you have more than 1000 kg of precious metals on your ship, because your safe has only a capacity of 1000 kg. Anything above that quantity is stored in a cargo canister...
I thought it was any amount above 500kg (or even above 499kg)?
Ah, you're right, my bad.

Also, Gold and Platinum are not added together (as I mistakenly thought), but kept separately. So the real state of affairs is:
  • Any amount of Gold up to 499 kg is stored in your safe. Starting with 500 kg one container is used. Starting with 1500 kg a second container is used, etc.
  • Any amount of Platinum up to 499 kg is stored in your safe. Starting with 500 kg one container is used. Starting with 1500 kg a second container is used, etc.
  • Any amount of Gem Stones up to 499999 g is stored in your safe. Starting with 500000 g one container is used. Starting with 1500000 g a second container is used, etc. (Yes, these are silly amounts, and you're very unlikely to ever accumulate that much gem stones.)
In other words, it looks like your safe has three separate compartments for just under half a ton of gold, platinum, and gems respectively. Anything above these amounts needs to be stored in standard 1TC cargo containers in your hold, each of which can hold exactly one metric ton of the commodity.