Source Code and Ideas question

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Source Code and Ideas question

Post by another_commander »

hangar18 wrote:
Thanks, appreciate your patience!
e
I tried to checkout 1.77.1 at the end of the process after changing the description plist but got an error: your local changes to the following files would be overwritten: (description.plist)

Please commit your changes or stash them before you can switch branches
Aborting

However, if I could get 1.79 to work properly, I'd be happy to use that instead. What I find is the planets aren't rendering properly. In 1.77.1 there is a gradual fade from light to dark across the planet based on the sun's position (which looks good). In 1.79, there is a light part or half of the planet, which unfortunately flickers, and then a line followed by a sudden dark part (no graduation of light to dark unlike 1.77.1). I then tried to copy the addons (OXPs) into the folder in the hope that the ones I had downloaded relating to nice planet textures would somehow fix the problem, but alas they did not. I know they do work in the normal 1.77.1 download executable

Note that the flickering/sudden light to dark problem happened before I copied any addons (or OXPs) into place. All I did was follow the 4 steps in your original post
The planet rendering issue is probably due to graphics drivers. I have the same problem on my Intel HD Graphics, but I have found that if I switch from Extra Detail setting in Game Options to Normal Shaders, things look much better so I would suggest you try that.

If you really really want to use the 1.77.1 code, my recommendation would be to download the full source tarball from Berlios (I have linked the tarball in one of the earlier posts in this discussion), unzip that in a folder on your disk, cd into that folder from the development environment and just type make debug=no. That should hopefully work. For future releases we will try to make sure that tarballs published in git contain the entire source tree (including all dependencies) and not only the root oolite source folders.
hangar18
Competent
Competent

Post by hangar18 »

Thanks, changing the detail settings works for me too. I must say, having done this, I really like 1.79. SOme cool new gameplay features like pirates asking for 2 barrels and the AI is much improved. Think I will stick with 1.79 after all. Thanks for all your help in getting me past the first hurdle.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

hangar18 wrote:
Thanks, changing the detail settings works for me too.
You should note that kanthoney has the razor-sharp terminator line mostly sorted now, since build 0bf226e, so you can probably switch back to extra detail mode if you like.. certainly for me it looks much better than before!
hangar18 wrote:
I must say, having done this, I really like 1.79. SOme cool new gameplay features like pirates asking for 2 barrels and the AI is much improved. Think I will stick with 1.79 after all. Thanks for all your help in getting me past the first hurdle.
Some of us are liking it so much it's now our main gaming version.. despite the ever-changing nature of the beast.. :wink: :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Some of us are liking it so much it's now our main gaming version...
These days, it's my solemn duty to play trunk anyway - but the life of an interstellar courier in 1.79 is highly addictive (and there are mules now too).
I've even considered (albeit briefly) swapping the Cobra Mk III for the Wolf Mk II SE that I keep in my hangar - ideally suited to the role, is that ship.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Cody wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Some of us are liking it so much it's now our main gaming version...
These days, it's my solemn duty to play trunk anyway - but the life of an interstellar courier in 1.79 is highly addictive (and there are mules now too).
I've even considered (albeit briefly) swapping the Cobra Mk III for the Wolf Mk II SE that I keep in my hangar - ideally suited to the role, is that ship.
Mule? You mean like in this sense of the word:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_(smuggling)