Advanced Naval Targeting System

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

What do you mean by long ranges? I regularly hit things at 15 km. Of course, some perves don’t use the mouse. ;-) Still, the crosshairs would be more useful if they were simply scaled down, so there’s less distance between the lines and the target.

Incidentally, I’d quite like it if the direction-to-turn chevron thingy disappeared when the target is inside its inner radius.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

OK, with oO's alpha distance cue, and converting the targeting helper from a cross to tickmarks on the diamond, it looks like this:

Before the tickmarks get displayed (target is too far from the crosshairs):
http://www.alioth.net/tmp/oolite-001.png

Target is close to being hittable - precision targeting helpers display:
http://www.alioth.net/tmp/oolite-002.png

Note that in the background on the second picture, down by the scanner, you can see the alpha fading of the reticle for a distant (non-targeted) target which shows that it fades when a target is further away.
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

Looks absolutely superb! Can't wait to give it a go (as and if/when it happens!) I'm assuming it's going to be an expensive upgrade...

I know others have mentioned this but I'm hoping it doesn't make lining up and shooting too easy and that'd take away a lot of the fun!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

the alberts wrote:
Looks absolutely superb! Can't wait to give it a go (as and if/when it happens!) I'm assuming it's going to be an expensive upgrade...

I know others have mentioned this but I'm hoping it doesn't make lining up and shooting too easy and that'd take away a lot of the fun!
I think it should be *very* expensive upgrade, 70K or more, probably meaning you should better upgrade your ship, and this thing gets into the shopping list after you practiced enough.. really enough.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

It's a 25K upgrade in the current SVN branch.
Also, the appearance of the reticule 'precision targetting guide' does not guarantee a hit - you still have to actually aim (rather than just wait for the appearance of the tick marks).
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

winston wrote:
The trouble is as you say - it's TOO simple and effective - it reduces aiming to moving around waiting for a cross hair to change colour. The idea behind the 'precision targeting designation' is to make it more visible when something is properly lined up, but without going as far as suggesting when to fire and still requiring the pilot to aim as before (the problem at the moment isn't that it's difficult to aim on a distant target, it's that it's virtually impossible).
And it only gets worse at higher resolutions. Try hitting a mamba at maximum range with 1920x1200 res. I swear you have to hit an exact pixel.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Frantic wrote:
And it only gets worse at higher resolutions. Try hitting a mamba at maximum range with 1920x1200 res. I swear you have to hit an exact pixel.
Actually the screen resolution doesn't make a difference to aiming (screen refresh rate and FPS do though, obviously).
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

aegidian wrote:
Frantic wrote:
Actually the screen resolution doesn't make a difference to aiming (screen refresh rate and FPS do though, obviously).

It'd be more to do with the physical size of the screen together with the resolution. Imagine playing Oolite on a 50" High definition plasma......drool
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

TGHC wrote:
aegidian wrote:
Frantic wrote:

It'd be more to do with the physical size of the screen together with the resolution. Imagine playing Oolite on a 50" High definition plasma......drool
I tried playing on DLP projector, unfortunately the contrast level is not good enough - i should probablty buy a better one.
Ponder
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ponder »

It's been a few days since the last message, any progress on this?
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

No, I haven't touched it code-wise (save merge in the most recent trunk changes - a trunk merge into a branch rather than the usual branch merge into trunk!). I'll make an 'experimental' build for Mac and Linux this weekend so people without a development environment can try it out. (The Mac one will just be a zipped Oolite.app bundle - I'm not sure what Giles does to make those drop to update thingies).
Ponder
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ponder »

Thanks. Linux is my main platform for this, the Windows version is still a bit odd. I'm getting nightly builds now I've found out why rsync wasn't so you never know... :)
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Sorry, I was going to do this over the weekend but glider maintenance took up all my tuits, and then it snowed and I had to go out with the camera (snow is so rare here, and in April, it's unheard of). I'll try to get to it this week some time (including Frantic's sound mod).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Bah. Damn snow. *waves fist*
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

winston wrote:
Sorry, I was going to do this over the weekend but glider maintenance took up all my tuits, and then it snowed and I had to go out with the camera (snow is so rare here, and in April, it's unheard of). I'll try to get to it this week some time (including Frantic's sound mod).
I feel kinda bad playing and enjoying sweet sweet sounds without sharing the joy. BeeeeeaaaaarruuuuoooogggggUMMMUMMMUMMmummuummmmummm