Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

RELEASE - ZZ_GrOovy_BBS_MiLHUD - TEST 2

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: RELEASE - ZZ_GrOovy_BBS_MiLHUD - TEST

Post by dertien »

cim wrote:
dertien wrote:
Let's say I have that yellow-green-red dashboard that is recut to 1600 px wide and 302 px high (instead of the original now which is 1600 * 900, with a minimum of transparency), and I have that same dashboard, but with a bigger canvas area and thus more transparency as a size of powers of two (lets say 2048 px by 512 px,) will the latter be less resource consuming or more, since it is bigger, but it's length and width are a power of two ?
Any texture file loaded by Oolite which is not a power of 2 in size will first be rescaled so it is a power of two in size. So you may as well make them that big to start with, or you get a (smallish) delay when first loading the texture as Oolite stretches or compresses it to fit, and it might not interpolate it at the quality you get out of a proper graphics program.

After that the smaller the image can be without losing detail the better. So I'd go for seeing if you can fit it into 1024x256 without losing detail, and if you can't then make it 2048x512. One texture of that size - especially a HUD texture which is always going to stay in the texture cache - is probably fine.

Well, I did just that now with the new images, got them to powers of 2 where I could, even some small icons. Everything exept the colored hud itself is now in a power of 2.

Thanks for the feedback cim, don't forget to try out the new one.
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: RELEASE - ZZ_GrOovy_BBS_MiLHUD - TEST

Post by dertien »

Norby wrote:
Nice HUD dertien, here is my impressions after a short try.

Good:
-strong alert level feedback by changing cabin lights,
-detailed description of repositioning telescope visual target,
-freighterhud images - I guess it is a preview of a planned improvement.

Less good or my suggestions to change:
-too small target name display under crosshairs.
-message consoles can be a bit larger also in both line numbers and font size,
-flashes of the white inner circle in crosshairs is disturbing without a description of meaning.

I was not big performance problems but my FPS dropped from 60 to 30 so you should use icon images as cim said.

I will do updates in Telescope for Oolite 1.79 to show default Griff noshader ships and I plan to add a handler if somebody install your HUD with Telescope in 1.79 then can get repositioned visual target by default due to player.ship.viewPositionForward is available.
Hi Norby, thanks for the feedback.

I changed the hud completely now, since I was not really happy with performance and functionality. Try out the new hud, your telescope still will function as it used to, I have not changed anything yet. Let's keep it like this and see how the hud will perform with other players before committing more days to it.

Ammended a few things like you said, but some stayed in there since I did like them ( like the small console windows) the explanation of the white pips in the middle of the crosshairs is in the readme file now.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: RELEASE - ZZ_GrOovy_BBS_MiLHUD - TEST 2

Post by Norby »

Thank you, nice work! I like your changes, especially these fighter plane-like warning boxes, and I got 60 FPS again. :)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Dertien,

Yesterday I tested your new HUD. Excellent work. I can confirm that it works on Mac now. I love the touches you've given to it like the color change with the condition green to yellow to red.

I find that the right panel (fuel etc) is difficult to read because the bars are yellow and the background also. This is especially true with the fuel gauge.
Also the scanner is a bit to high for my taste. I'm flying a trader and I think this cockpit is more meant for a fighter.

But other than that. Excellent work. Maybe a HUD-set for each core ship? (just kidding) :).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Hey Pagroove,

Happy you like it, will tone down the colors to grey values, so the colored gauges are better visible. I have a trader version that looks good enough, could make one so the scanner is a little smaller for the trader version with extra struts on top for the trader, also in colors green, red and yellow.

Will cook something up but that's for after newyears.

See you after the party.

Greetings

SARR
Competent
Competent

Post by SARR »

Really stylish, I like it....replaced my deepspace hud..... :mrgreen:

Edit: Witht the kids in bed I had enough time to try it out. really good and I got used to it quickly. One suggestion: In a combat situation shield and laser status are a little bit hard to read. what about making them less transparent? or remove them from the left side and put them in an overhead panel?

EditII: Under condition yellow, the fuel status and the altimeter are a little bit hard to read.....

anyway, I am going to use this hud from now on 8)

Greez SARR
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Yes, I'm aware I need to polish this hud a little more, will have some time doing that after the shippack.

Will keep these things in consideration and implement them, as well as a trader hud for Pagroove.

Thanks for the positive feedback and glad you like the hud.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Critique of this HUD
Playing the Vanilla game, the Crosshairs block one's view of what is immediately in front - an enemy ship, the docking port to a station, etc. Without some sort of compensation (fiddling with the gamma setting or using something like Headlights or Telescope with its lightballs) this HUD will put you at a major disadvantage for combat and inhibit easy docking.

The equipment lights are nice, but ultimately seem useless. There seems to be no indication if the equipment is working, just that it is present.

When I was trying out a test-file to see how the Cloaking Device worked, there seemed to be no indication of the energy levels (needed for judging duration of cloaking).
This is my experience on the AppleMac. I'd appreciate a second opinion!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?