Split: Re-scaling experiment

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Split: Re-scaling experiment

Post by Redspear »

So I've created spawned a load of asteroids (not quite as dense as in the example pic above) along the start of the space lane in some systems. Rather than have the player just torus drive through all of them however, I'd like the larger asteroids (I've made several sizes) to masslock the player, so the player had some sense of flying through it rather than simply bypassing it. Frequency of occurance would be key to how fun/annoying this might be.

Asteroids are stationary of course so overtaking them, even in an anaconda, is less frustrating than overtaking a python with a cobra mk III (and with a much greater sense of scenery). The larger asteroids are also rarer so the player wouldn't necessarily always be masslocked.

Here's the problem:

Whether or not an entity masslocks the player depends upon its scan class.
Asteroids have the scan class of 'rock' - don't masslock and appear white on the scanner.

I know how to set the colour on the scanner, so if I changed the scan class then it needn't be obvious.
If I do change it however, then all of the other options would appear to either risk criminal status upon being fired at, or risk some other inappropriate interaction with non-player ships.

Is there (or could we possibly have) an option that functions as CLASS_MASSLOCK _ONLY?

Perhaps CLASS_BUOY could masslock? It wouldn't be a massive gamechanger if it did so would it?
I'll try to find it in the code when I'm more in the mood :lol:
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Redspear wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:56 pm
Redspear wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:36 pm
Dont know how to do this yet but other ideas include to place just one small asteroid field (but large compared to anything in standard oolite) at the witchpoint in some systems
Getting there...

Unfortunately, you may run into the game's entity limit if you go much higher or have more than 1 such asteroid cluster in a system.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Switeck wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:41 pm
Unfortunately, you may run into the game's entity limit if you go much higher or have more than 1 such asteroid cluster in a system.
Both explained upthread (although I'd totally understand if you'd missed it).
  • In short:
    • Unlikely - I've both increased the limit and restricted such fields to lower count systems
    • There would only be one such cluster in a system
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:01 am
Redspear, I've been playing with SWEconomy, but it badly needs tweaking as it's representation of mining planets is poor - lots of minerals for sale but ridiculously low prices for food, etc.

If you can come up with a workable fix for this, I'd love to try incorporating it into my copy of SWEconomy!
Find the relevant economy number, planet radius or other qualifier(s) for 'mining planets'

Look for similar to below (example from demand driven economy):

Code: Select all

new_price = Math.floor(44 + 32 + demand_mod + (Math.random() * (10 - 1 + 1) - 5));
		system.mainStation.setMarketPrice("food", new_price);
new_price is just what I've called the number I'm calculating.
44 is the standard average price of food in oolite.
32 is how much more expensive (3.2Cr) I've made it on average.
demand mod was population based if I remember but you can remove that.
(Math.random() * (10 - 1 + 1) - 5) just adds a bit of random variance so that not every such system has exactly the same price.

Hope that helps.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:11 am
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:01 am
Redspear, I've been playing with SWEconomy, but it badly needs tweaking as it's representation of mining planets is poor - lots of minerals for sale but ridiculously low prices for food, etc.

If you can come up with a workable fix for this, I'd love to try incorporating it into my copy of SWEconomy!
Find the relevant economy number, planet radius or other qualifier(s) for 'mining planets'

Look for similar to below (example from demand driven economy):

Code: Select all

new_price = Math.floor(44 + 32 + demand_mod + (Math.random() * (10 - 1 + 1) - 5));
		system.mainStation.setMarketPrice("food", new_price);
new_price is just what I've called the number I'm calculating.
44 is the standard average price of food in oolite.
32 is how much more expensive (3.2Cr) I've made it on average.
demand mod was population based if I remember but you can remove that.
(Math.random() * (10 - 1 + 1) - 5) just adds a bit of random variance so that not every such system has exactly the same price.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for this. I'll try tweaking eventually - but, alas, am currently working my way up to G7 with a new Jameson to test DGill's expansion of the Feudal States OXP to G7/8. I'm hoping to meet His Serene Highness, the Ruhtinas Mika Spara in Onormala...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?