To Those I know Or Not

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

To Those I know Or Not

Post by CaptSolo »

My wife could tell you stories about me. Ah, she knows me best, bless her. She knows what a stinker I am. Before we wed, how I lied to her. Oh yes, I made a profession of the deceitful arts. But I had hoped she cured me of that particular fault. It's funny how one thinks they have changed for the good.

It all came crashing down three weeks ago. I had not been feeling myself for several weeks so I went to see Dr. H. A couple days later he walked into his examination room with a look on his face I did not like. Dr. H, you see, is also my friend, poor devil, and also my comrade in the 5 and 10 k runs for charity. My odd behaviour of late is caused by a frontal lobe brain tumor. My reaction to this news brewed for several days and followed a predictable path from denial to anger, back to denial and then to surrender. It was during this final stage that my manic condition led me to try and erase my Oolite existence. Sadly, I had reverted to my old wily ways which I believed my loving wife had changed.

I have now taken up the resolute stance of a warrior. I am writing this now in case I cannot type another letter. Monday I see a surgeon. If he has no good news, I will fight on with whatever resources available to me. Wish me good fortune.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: To Those I know Or Not

Post by Diziet Sma »

My sympathies mate.. that's a tough one. I'll just repeat the Jethro Tull line I used in the related thread in Discussion.

"Stare that beastie in the face, and really give him hell!"

Best wishes in your upcoming battle.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Thanks to the almighty that you found a good doctor who is honest in his diagnosis and treatment plan. When you go in, May the surgeon's hands be guided to the right places and perform their job to perfection. My prayers are going with you and also to your medical team. We will be here when all is said and done and you have convelaced enough to rejoin your band of brothers. God Speed you back to us.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Wow, I am sorry CaptSolo. At least now, you know the face of your enemy.
I survived a heart attack at 36. Doctors had no clue why. Said I was healthy as a horse. Might have been stress, might have another one any second, or never... Anyways, I know what it's like to have something like this hit you from out of nowhere.
I hope for all the best for you. Fight the good fight CaptSolo!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Good luck and all strength, Solo.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Good luck in your fight CaptSolo, our thoughts are with you.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Best wishes Captain.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I am so sorry to hear this, Solo. My thoughts are with you and yours, and I hope the future is brighter than it sounds. Very best wishes to you, my friend.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Good luck, Solo - fight and win!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

My thoughts are with you, Solo. A chronic illness is always terrible, as I've seen with myself and some family members, but it's even more terrible when it tries to rob you of your personality :evil:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Good luck Cap.
My best wishes to you and hope all goes well.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Good luck Commander! Beat the bastard!

Don't know if this little bit of fact is of any help or not, but hoping for it to aid in steeling your resolve:
My father went to doctor as his left eye wouldn't open. The doctor(s) found an egg-sized cancer tumor that applied pressure to the eye - diagnosis was that he'd have less than year left, no matter what they did. He chose to not give up, that tumor was removed (surgery + chemotherapy + radiation cure) and he lived more than five years. One can but wonder that if he'd gone to see the doctor earlier, my dad might still be alive. Well, compared to modern medical stuff, the treatments available back then were not much more advanced than eating random mushrooms and dancing around a bonfire...
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

My daughter was diagnosed with having a Astrocytic tumour grade 3-4 after having a seizure. She had it removed and had the radio therapy within 8weeks of diagnosis. That was nearly five years ago and she is still clear and will hopefully remain that way.

The advances in diagnosis and treatment of these things is tremondous. Stay positive and strong and i wish you well for your next appointment with the doc.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Saying one for you Captain during this challenging time.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Capt. Reynolds
Competent
Competent

Post by Capt. Reynolds »

Good luck, and never stop fighting.