More/ larger galaxies

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: More/ larger galaxies

Post by Redspear »

Pleb wrote:
The only problem with having to do this to get to the next set of galaxies, is that you would have to be in galaxy 1 to get to galaxy 9, galaxy to get to galaxy 10, etc...

Well I meant in addition to the normal method, so you'd be able to get to galaxy 9 from galaxy 1 and from galaxy 8; to galaxy 10 from galaxy 2 and from galaxy 9 etc...
Pleb wrote:
This is why I created the off switch in the planetinfo.plist file, so that even if you had saved the game in galaxy 12 for example, closed the game, turned off the extra galaxies, and the relaunched the game, once you use the Galactic Hyperdrive to move onward you would end up in galaxy 1.
Must admit, I'd missed that.
Pleb wrote:
Also having extra equipment can be annoying, as when I wrote the code for travelling backwards using the Galactic Hyperdrive (like going from galaxy 1 to galaxy 8 in one jump), I originally designed it so you needed a new piece of equipment. I then tweaked this code so all you had to do was press Shift-G to go backwards. This proved less annoying!
True, your tweak method is better.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I do so hope this idea has not gone into cryo :) I still think larger galaxies is a wonderful possibility for game enhancement.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Duggan wrote:
I do so hope this idea has not gone into cryo :) I still think larger galaxies is a wonderful possibility for game enhancement.
I haven't done any work on this as I've been working on other more practical projects at. But when I get a moment I might return to this as I've learnt a few things like might improve this. :)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Bumping this - have the suggested changes been incorporated into master? I've tried to do it a long time back but failed, and it's just a matter of copying Pleb's code (and potentially putting the variables into a plist, as I tried to do).
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I'd love to see it happen :D
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Zireael wrote:
Bumping this - have the suggested changes been incorporated into master? I've tried to do it a long time back but failed, and it's just a matter of copying Pleb's code (and potentially putting the variables into a plist, as I tried to do).
Is it? :shock: I thought there was some stuff Pleb hadn't released yet or that needed tweaking :?:

Anyway, like you, I'm very much hoping this will come out one way or another in the not too distant :D
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

I only just found this thread due to the bump, but since it has already been bumped I thought I may as well add my 2 cents. :-)

It occurs to me that to really get an improved sense of the increased scale in game it would be useful to add a way to zoom the long range chart view to display at the same scale as the original charts... perhaps make this the default long range chart view centred to the extent that such is practical around the player's current location. (and scrolling as they move from system to system) The zoomed out view should show an outline of the area that appears on the zoomed in view.

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Zireael wrote:
It's been a while since I did anything with Oolite I'm afraid. Real life circumstances have taken their toll (flat was flooded, moved to a temporary one, now moving to a new house) so I have only had basic internet access (USB dongle and phone) and very little time.

The chances of this going into the master are slim to nothing. Most changes made to Oolite are cosmetic, as so not to damage the core of the game. Admittedly I have tried with this particular modification to make the user/player have to enable it to take effect, but there are still going to be more people opposed to this kind of change than those in favour. Also this needs a lot more work before it can be considered stable.

Once I've moved into my new house and have got Internet access restored there are a few projects with Oolite that I need to continue, such as continuing work with the HIMSN OXZ and creating a branch request on GitHub to include the Scriptable Space Back Colour modification (as requested by another_commander). However I will have another stab at this and try and see if this could be made more feasible. However as I've stated before this is more of a casual project then a practical one.
Neelix wrote:
I only just found this thread due to the bump, but since it has already been bumped I thought I may as well add my 2 cents. :-)

It occurs to me that to really get an improved sense of the increased scale in game it would be useful to add a way to zoom the long range chart view to display at the same scale as the original charts... perhaps make this the default long range chart view centred to the extent that such is practical around the player's current location. (and scrolling as they move from system to system) The zoomed out view should show an outline of the area that appears on the zoomed in view.

- Neelix
kanthoney has just put forward a change to make the short range chart scrollable, which would help massively with something like this with a huge galactic chart. If it was possible to have a bigger chart and make the long range chart scrollable in the same way the short range one is, this might work. Making it zoomable is probably a s stretch but I do like the idea.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Admittedly I have tried with this particular modification to make the user/player have to enable it to take effect
This can be done in plists and there are already some options hidden in various plists.
Most changes made to Oolite are cosmetic, as so not to damage the core of the game.
Hey, I wouldn't say so, and an optional option would be great. Same goes for Redspear's rescaling, as soon as he wraps it up it would be a great option to have.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

It's mainly trying to create a new model without upsetting the old one. If you can keep the old galaxies as they are but have an optional extra set that could be bigger or smaller, that would create a whole new level to Oolite.

Unfortunately the biggest problem I had with this is the fact you would want these new ones to stand out from the old ones. You don't want more of the same, so maybe implementing a new naming scheme would be a good idea. This can be done by changing the algorithm used to generate the sustem names.

There are more options that could be applied so once I'm settled in my new home I will revisit this. However if anyone else wishes to continue by all means do so!

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
... so maybe implementing a new naming scheme would be a good idea. This can be done by changing the algorithm used to generate the sustem names.
Restore the missing letters of the alphabet?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

+1 to missing letters.
If you can keep the old galaxies as they are but have an optional extra set that could be bigger or smaller, that would create a whole new level to Oolite.
That would be my wet dream come true!
However if anyone else wishes to continue by all means do so!
I tried to but don't know enough about C to code in it :(
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Pleb wrote:
Real life circumstances have taken their toll (flat was flooded, moved to a temporary one, now moving to a new house) so I have only had basic internet access (USB dongle and phone) and very little time.
Sorry to hear that, Pleb. Hope all goes well in the new house.
Cody wrote:
Pleb wrote:
... so maybe implementing a new naming scheme would be a good idea. This can be done by changing the algorithm used to generate the sustem names.
Restore the missing letters of the alphabet?
Like it :)
Zireael wrote:
If you can keep the old galaxies as they are but have an optional extra set that could be bigger or smaller, that would create a whole new level to Oolite.
That would be my wet dream come true!
Whilst I wouldn't go quite as far as Zireael there :wink: it would be rather awesome 8)
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Augh! Why do I come here. This forum should be renamed: "Drool over stuff you won't have for months or possibly ever."
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

mossfoot wrote:
Augh! Why do I come here. This forum should be renamed: "Drool over stuff you won't have for months or possibly ever."
You love it too? That's two of us already!