Capt Solo is deleting his stuff on the wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Capt Solo is deleting stuff on the wiki

Post by maik »

Thanks, Ya-ta-hey.

I don't know what to make of Captain Solo's words on his web page vs. what he says in this forum:
Capt. Solo wrote:
Sure will miss the game and this community, but I will be back some day.
Considering he liberally licensed his work under a CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license I don't see a good reason why we should let it disappear. I propose the wiki sites be reinstated but clearly marked as abandoned by the author until he comes back so that he is not unduly disturbed during his chosen absence.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Capt Solo is deleting stuff on the wiki

Post by Redspear »

maik wrote:
I don't know what to make of Captain Solo's words on his web page vs. what he says in this forum:
Capt. Solo wrote:
Sure will miss the game and this community, but I will be back some day.
Considering he liberally licensed his work under a CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license I don't see a good reason why we should let it disappear. I propose the wiki sites be reinstated but clearly marked as abandoned by the author until he comes back so that he is not unduly disturbed during his chosen absence.
It's certainly a puzzler to me but I'm inclined to agree with Y-T-H, Smivs and McLane here.

I think there's another licence, an unwritten one that was well established here by folks such as yourself long before I ever showed up: the licence of goodwill.

CaptSolo has chosen to remove his work for reasons unknown to us but it would seem the most minimal of assumptions that he no longer wishes to host his oxps and no longer wishes his writings to be on the wiki. I think he contributed enough here to have his wishes repected on that one.

But yes, I agree, it is a sad loss and we'd all rather that they (and he) were still with us. It is sad too that his works will not be as widely advertised or available to those who have yet to find them. So, some possibilities...
  • If he's not hosting his oxp's (and the licence permits) then might it be a good idea for someone else to do so?
    Would doing this be in bad taste (perhaps for the reason given above)?

If he's removing all his wiki pages then could/should a single page replacement be made in tribute to his oxps?
    Minimal text, minimal images, just enough to introduce them to the curious but not an edit of his own writings?
    Has he removed them from the oxp list? (that could scupper this suggestion...)

If he were to ask for such things to desist or be removed then we could respect that too.
I'm still new to boards and wikis so maybe these are not the best suggestions in the world but they could represent something of a compromise.

Perhaps there is no compromise here, and as was said earlier:
Smivs wrote:
The loss of this body of work would be regretable to be sure, but we should accept that Solo is doing this because this is what he wants.
I feel we should let this run and respect the man's wishes.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Capt Solo is deleting his stuff on the wiki

Post by Cody »

Just let it be, for the time being. Would JH (or a Mod) please add 'his' to the thread's title... it's a trifle misleading. Thanks, JH.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

The good captain has updated his web page and he has included: No, I am not mad. So my speculation is no longer accurate or worthy of pursuit. it seems that he is keeping an eye on the boards as he mentions the new 1.79dev and that it needs some improvement(unspecified).
So Keep on lurking.

Nizhonigo Keshmish Baahózhó Doo Nínanahí
Yah-ta-hey
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Sorry for the mess I made. I failed, of course, my feeble attempt, to remove any evidence that I made ever any contribution minute to Oolite. I am fighting an enemy that believes it will be my undoing. We shall see. Not to worry, I will not try again to delete myself from Oolite history.
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

I do work for a historical archive and I learned that once you contribute to history, to society, you can never take it back. Embrace that you will be remembered though out the ages and accept your part in history. I did even though my part here may be small. I made larger contributions in the community in which I live.

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

"Sorry for the mess I made." You did not make anything of the kind. We did, the community is concerned for you so like a bunch of flustered hens, we cackled and clucked and sqwaked and got nowhere.
"I failed, of course, my feeble attempt, to remove any evidence that I made ever any contribution minute to Oolite." I think you did a quite admirable job... your success caught us all flatfooted and flabergasted.

The enemy that you mention... I hope it is not the Big C. Time will tell and you will come back.. Once a marine, always a marine.... once an OOliter.. always an OOliter.

Until then, keep an eye on us and chuckle over our misadventures as we go through our little lives trying to guess what is going on... killer wolf, Captain Solo who is going to be next... We just don't know.

Yah-ta-hey :)
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CaptSolo wrote:
I am fighting an enemy that believes it will be my undoing. We shall see.
To borrow a line from Jethro Tull..

"Stare that beastie in the face, and really give him hell!"
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Diziet Sma wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
I am fighting an enemy that believes it will be my undoing. We shall see.
To borrow a line from Jethro Tull..

"Stare that beastie in the face, and really give him hell!"
CaptSolo,

Remember you're one of the ELITE, and I'm sure that you've got the backing of everyone on here... [special 'military laser-cooler' licence granted]... Now go kick its arse!