ID Computer

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Should Oolite have an Ident computer like some other versions of Elite?

Yes, you should always have it right from the start.
15%
Yes, but it should be an additional piece of equipment to buy.
50%
No, the missile targetting system works fine already.
5%
No, lets just enhance what is already in place.
30%

Total votes: 20

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: ID Computer

Post by another_commander »

Somewhere in the HUD code there is a forgotten hidden compile switch which makes the scanner display the name of each ship next to its lollipop. The macro name is IDENTIFY_SCANNER_LOLLIPOPS and was initially implemented for debugging reasons. It can get a bit messy when too many entities are present and I am not sure how it works these days (haven't used it for ages), but it's there if anyone wants to try it out.
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

I clicked "No, lets just enhance what is already in place." but I suppose that there is no harm in having this as an OXZ that people could install if they wished... or as a purchasable item of equipment.
jh145
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jh145 »

I'm in the process of creating a (very simple) OXZ that would make new arrivals on the scanner flash if not id'd within 10 seconds or so.

Any advice on how to load that up to somewhere as an OXZ would be appreciated. Do I need an account on wiki.alioth.net?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

jh145 wrote:
Any advice on how to load that up to somewhere as an OXZ would be appreciated. Do I need an account on wiki.alioth.net?
The All-in-One Guide to OXZ Packaging and Distribution covers everything you need to know. An account on the Wiki is highly recommended, but not essential, as the Guide will explain, in the end-notes.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

another_commander wrote:
Somewhere in the HUD code there is a forgotten hidden compile switch which makes the scanner display the name of each ship next to its lollipop. The macro name is IDENTIFY_SCANNER_LOLLIPOPS and was initially implemented for debugging reasons. It can get a bit messy when too many entities are present and I am not sure how it works these days (haven't used it for ages), but it's there if anyone wants to try it out.
That sounds interesting, if 'messy', as you say.

What if, instead of the full name, it only displayed the first two/three letters? Combined with the lollipop colours this could be quite useful. Thinking of the default ship and station set, I think it would only be the cobras and boas that would be confusing (as there's a mk 1 and a mk 2/3); perhaps 'Co III' and 'Bo I'. Maybe 'TH' and 'Th' for thargoid and thargon/tharglet.

It would really help tracking down splinters in an asteroid field: 'Sp', 'Bo' (different coloured lollipop than the Boas), 'As' (again, as different colour than the Asp).

Could still be a little messy. Maybe if there were a limit, e.g. only ID up to 8 lollipops, if there are more then the ID turns off. Hmmm...
jh145
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jh145 »

To justify my act of thread necromancy, I'm pleased to announce that the Scanner Alerting Enhancement is now available to download through the in-game expansion packs manager. Thank you for humouring me :D
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I like the way Redspear is thinking...