Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

NPCs using Q-bomb?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

NPCs using Q-bomb?

Post by ArkanoiD »

I'd like to see it, given it is _very_ rare condition and it appears clearly on the scanner and there is alert to let me run ;-)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Masochist! :twisted:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

TGHC wrote:
Masochist! :twisted:
I just want to enjoy watching fireworks too expensive for me to waste ;-)
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Does anyone use the Q mine? Anyone? It's a neat weapon, but at almost three times the price of the energy bomb, it's pretty useless.

The energy bomb is right on the border of being cost-effective. Several times I've been targeted by a group of five pirates, joined shortly afterwards by a group of another two pirates. Battling out those 7:1 scenarios often results in some damaged equipment. On the other hand, dropping the energy bomb results in enough cargo canisters to pay for a replacement bomb. I've learned to love the bomb.

My suggestion would be to remove the Q mine from Oolite, and tweak the energy bomb so that it is an expanding sphere of visible death (like the Q mine) rather than instant death. Then it would be fair for the computer to use the bomb. If you see one blowing up, turn around and hit the injectors. Or use your escape pod.
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Odo987 wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
Does anyone use the Q mine? Anyone? It's a neat weapon, but at almost three times the price of the energy bomb, it's pretty useless.

The energy bomb is right on the border of being cost-effective. Several times I've been targeted by a group of five pirates, joined shortly afterwards by a group of another two pirates. Battling out those 7:1 scenarios often results in some damaged equipment. On the other hand, dropping the energy bomb results in enough cargo canisters to pay for a replacement bomb. I've learned to love the bomb.

My suggestion would be to remove the Q mine from Oolite, and tweak the energy bomb so that it is an expanding sphere of visible death (like the Q mine) rather than instant death. Then it would be fair for the computer to use the bomb. If you see one blowing up, turn around and hit the injectors. Or use your escape pod.
Well, i haven't ever use it, but i keep one installed on my ship just in case there will be a mission to destroy something E-bomb - invulnerable.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I love the Q-bomb - It's visually stunning, very lethal, and often surprising in its domino toppling effect.

E-bombs are usually last resorts, when I'm angry, or as a lesson to others....!
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Odo987 wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
But it's so purty!

I do use it - usually on a hard day where I've already had to use up my energy bomb.
Or if I just want a firework display. Best deployed in a pirate cove.
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

The Q mine is pretty good ...I never bought or used one until yesterday!

To be honest though, I think it's far too expensive for what it is. The only thing going for it is it's purtiness. (unless there's something I don't know about yet...)

The E bomb does a much much better job - instant, all encompassing death to all but the user (okay - and the toughest ships).

And it's a third of the price! No contest, which is a shame cos the chain reaction thing is brilliant to do (and watch) :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The E-bomb is silly and should be removed, from a balance POV.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

Ahruman wrote:
hear hear. off to Oolite-strict! :shock:
The man next to you is your lunch
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Ahruman wrote:
I think no, it was there in classic Elite and i'd like it to stay. After all, only one at time is allowed.
Though it makes some difference between players and NPCs (who are not allowed to use it)
That's why i'd like them to use Q-Bomb at least.
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

I think the idea of the NPC's not having them does seem to deviate from the premise of fair play... Between us and our distant AI cousins
Team Zorg are Go!
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

ArkanoiD wrote:
I think no, it was there in classic Elite and i'd like it to stay. After all, only one at time is allowed.
Though it makes some difference between players and NPCs (who are not allowed to use it)
Yes I agree. It'd make for interesting dog fights! And change folk's tactics too. (i.e. not getting too near. The 'sneaking close up behind a trader before shooting them' tactic may be become less popular)

I can imagine the fun when certain enemies launch a Q bomb; my usual slow-to-catch-on reaction turning to panick when I realise I used up all my fuel earlier (probably only moments earlier because I was too impatient during mass lock slowness)

Is incorporating enemies launching Q bombs possible? I'd certainly be keen - as long as it didn't happen every time I shoot someone down (if do you actually do shoot people down in space - there's no gravity after all...) :)
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

the alberts wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
Yes I agree. It'd make for interesting dog fights! And change folk's tactics too. (i.e. not getting too near. The 'sneaking close up behind a trader before shooting them' tactic may be become less popular)

I can imagine the fun when certain enemies launch a Q bomb; my usual slow-to-catch-on reaction turning to panick when I realise I used up all my fuel earlier (probably only moments earlier because I was too impatient during mass lock slowness)

Is incorporating enemies launching Q bombs possible? I'd certainly be keen - as long as it didn't happen every time I shoot someone down (if do you actually do shoot people down in space - there's no gravity after all...) :)
I think 0.1% is OK. That means if you have 20 kills a run you see it with 1/50 probability.
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

I think the chances of Q mine use should relate to the type of ship and the pilot, although I do agree the chances should be fairly slim.

Some ships would never use them: i.e. ships that can't outrun the explosion! Ships in a group that aren't keen on killing their comrades etc.

Whereas others would be more keen depending on who they are, where they come from etc. Certain ships would develop Q mine reputations...