The GIMP dumps Sourceforge

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

The GIMP dumps Sourceforge

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Yeah we've noticed this a lot with our students recently downloading stuff from Sourceforge...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/08 ... installer/
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The GIMP dumps Sourceforge

Post by Gimi »

Oolite is available via Sourceforge.
I just checked, and all seems fine so far, but will the Oolite download/hosting be affected in the future.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It's also available from http://www.oolite.org/download.shtml (hosted on oolite.org) and https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite/releases (hosted on Github) - the Sourceforge download is back from when it was hosted on Berlios. So we certainly don't need them to distribute our stuff any more.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Gimi wrote:
I just checked, and all seems fine so far, but will the Oolite download/hosting be affected in the future.
If you use AdBlock software in your browser, you won't see the "Download" ads.. but somebody ought to check that the Oolite Windows Installer hasn't been supplanted with their custom 3rd-party Sourceforge Installer..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Gimi wrote:
If you use AdBlock software in your browser, you won't see the "Download" ads.. but somebody ought to check that the Oolite Windows Installer hasn't been supplanted with their custom 3rd-party Sourceforge Installer..
:oops: I keep forgetting about AdBlock being active. I also use other tools that might block stuff.

Just checked again, and there are ads on the download page at Sourceforge, but nothing too intrusive in my view.
Also, no "malware" in the installer that I was able to detect.

One thing that did surprise me (it's been along time since I have used the installer), was that uninstall didn't remove the folder and icons in the Windows start menu.
I did know that it leaves the save-games and AddOns folders intact, and that is fine, but I think it should remove the start menu entries as the actual files they point to are removed.

Is this something I should flag as an issue/bug?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I just now tried to download the latest stable of Gimp v2.8.8, from the University of Kent mirror (the only http mirror for the UK that works). The download speed was pitiful (telling me it would take 10 minutes). I then tried a Swedish server, and got the same file in about 15 seconds. And yes I'm in the UK. :lol:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Gimi wrote:
Looking at this, it seems only 1.77.0 is there. Tried to leave a comment directing people to oolite.org but it seems my SourceForge account has lapsed/been deleted.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Moved the Oolite Windows installer posts to separate thread in Testing and Bug Reports.