Additional Planets SR.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Extra Planet/Moon textures - now Additional Planets.oxp

Post by Astrobe »

On the topic of textures/extra planets/extra moons, I made a table for myself in order to sort things out.

Code: Select all

| OXP                  | extra planets | gas giants? | extra moons | planet textures | moon textures | mapping/resolution          | Notes                                                |
| system Redux (SR)    | up to 4       | ?           | up to 4     |              24 | yes           | ?                           | FP & OXPConfig compatible                            |
| system Demux (SD)    | yes           | yes         | yes         |              64 | 32            | 2048x1024, 1024x512 (moons) | -                                                    |
| system Demux 2 (SD2) | yes           | yes         | yes         |               ? | ?             | mostly low-re               | -                                                    |
| PovRay Planets (PP)  | no            | yes         | no          |               ? | N/A           | 512x3072 cube map           | huge packs per galaxy; FP compatible                 |
| Deep horizon (DHS)   | 20            | ?           | 10          |              40 | yes           | ?                           | low and standard res. packs; optional sun tweaks     |
| Famous Planets (FP)  | no            | ?           | no          |       see notes | N/A           | see notes                   | adds planet descriptions; use PP for planet textures |
| additionnal planets  | no            | yes         | no          |            200+ | 200+          | various                     | textures for extra planets and moons                 |

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

The table is a nice idea, Astrobe. You might want to differentiate main planet textures and extra planet textures though.

System Redux has 16 main planet textures, 4 moon textures and 4 extra planet textures.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Hi Astrobe.
Maybe I'm misreading your table but Additional Planets DOES add extra planets and moons, up to 4 of each just like SR and SD. What it doesn't do is texture the main planet.
spara wrote:
System Redux has 16 main planet textures, 4 moon textures and 4 extra planet textures.
That's true, but does anyone know why on the wiki page it displays this image?

Those planets look great but they don't match the ones in the download (plus there are an extra 6 in the picture).

I thought that some of them might be the same but from a different angle but there are some textures there that I don't recognise from SR...

Can anyone explain this?
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Fixed table:

Code: Select all

|                        | System Redux (SR) | System Demux (SD)           | System Demux 2 (SD2) | PovRay Planets (PP)  | Deep Horizon (DHS) | Famous Planets (FP) | Add. Planets |
| main planet textures   |                16 | 64 [1]                      | yes                  | all planets          | 40 [1]             | [2]                 | N/A          |
| extra moons textures   |                 4 | yes                         | yes                  | N/A                  | yes                | N/A                 | 200+ [1]     |
| extra planets textures |                 4 | yes                         | yes                  | N/A                  | yes                | N/A                 | 200+ [1]     |
| gas giants             |                 ? | yes                         | yes                  | ?                    | ?                  | ?                   | yes          |
| mapping/resolutions    |                 ? | 2048x1024, 1024x512 (moons) | mostly low-res       | 512x3072 cube mapped | ?                  | [2]                 | various      |

[1] The exact allocation of the total number of textures to main planet, extra planets and moons (when applicable) isn't known by me.
[2] FP as of 2.7 uses PP for main planet textures. FP adds custom descriptions and make the textures match with those used in-game in the F6 screen.
Other notes:
SR is compatible with OXPConfig and FP. SR, SD, SD2 and Additional planets add up to 4 planets and up to 4 moons to systems.
PP has huge texture (several Gibytes each) packs per-galaxy.
DHS tweaks the sun corona (this feature is also found in distant Sun OXP among others). Noticeable pentagone-shaped distortion near the planet poles. Low-res and standard res packs are available. Add up to 20 planets and 10 moons to systems.
Feel free to correct remaining (or added, since I might have screwed things up in the process of transposing the table) inaccuracies.
madsborking
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Extra Planet/Moon textures

Post by madsborking »

Astrobe wrote:
cim wrote:
(Which is to say: to get really detailed planets probably requires a clever approach rather than just throwing ever-bigger textures at them)
Real planets are actually not spherical but slightly ellipsoidal. Maybe mapping the textures on an ellipsoid could yield better results?
I dare not venture any guess as to the ellipsoidal, but it does strike me that the only way to get planets texturized in a way that will never appear pixelated, no matter how close you get, is to generate textures procedurally on the spot!? (That would also be in keeping with the spirit of old Elite).

To get sufficent detail from such an approach, I suspect, you would have to use a series of procedure-maps, passing varius simple colours 'through' them and in some configuration of overlay... Of course, not being a graphics artist myself, other than having the idea that it would be the way to do it, I have little to no idea of how to actually make it work :?
madsborking
Above Average
Above Average

Post by madsborking »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Yep.. and just in case you haven't tried taking a screenshot yet, the key for in-game screenshots is <Shift-8>, after which you'll find the screenshots in a folder inside the oolite-saves folder. :wink:

(Then use photobucket or similar to host/link to the pic)
Okay, hope this works...

I haven't had much time to play these last few days, so these aren't necessarily the most interesting/beautiful systems, but here's a few screens of three systems I did visit lately... (Featuring Povray Planets, System Redux moons and a Zygo sky).

http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/madsb ... t=3&page=1
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

madsborking wrote:
Okay, hope this works...

I haven't had much time to play these last few days, so these aren't necessarily the most interesting/beautiful systems, but here's a few screens of three systems I did visit lately... (Featuring Povray Planets, System Redux moons and a Zygo sky).

http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/madsb ... t=3&page=1
Lookin' good!

(if you want the image to appear in the thread, you need to click in the text-area next to "IMG", that appears under each pic in your photobucket library.. then right-click and copy the link, which you can then paste directly into your post.. if you quote this post, you'll see at the bottom of the quote how it should look)

Last edited by Diziet Sma on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
...if you want the image to appear in the thread...
Bear in mind that the forum has a max width for images - 1000 - so you may need to resize the image first (or use the thumbnail option).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Astrobe wrote:
DHS tweaks the sun corona (this feature is also found in distant Sun OXP among others). Noticeable pentagone-shaped distortion near the planet poles. Low-res and standard res packs are available. Add up to 20 planets and 10 moons to systems.
I would just like to note that this is not an issue with DH-Systems, but is, in fact, imposed by Oolite itself when the planet is textured using an equirectangular (latlong) map. Cube-mapped versions of most of my textures are produced, but I've never released them... Might get round to it soon.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Re: variability in the different sets.

Here's a sample System Demux planet next to a System Redux one...

Image ... Image

What if the Demux one was tinkered with to look a little more like this?...

Image ... Image

...or even like this?

Image ... Image

Well???

Better?
Worse?
Nice option?
Abomination?

If someone likes it then I could provide a mini-pack or two of similar textures...

Astrobe, I wouldn't want to speak for other oxps but your table (which is a good idea, I think) more accurately represents this oxp now. I really must add up the texture number myself :lol: but it's currently more like 200 in total.

Thanks for your interest.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

OK my addled Brain being as it is ...Addled.

I have taken the texture folders and dropped them in the empty texture folder that comes with this oxp and I get vanilla extra planets.

So then I try dropping the individual textures themselves into the empty texture folder that comes with this oxp and I get vanilla extra planets...

I am working with Povray Planets as my main stations.

Is there anything in the script I need to adjust to see the new textures on the far planets, set a false to true or some such. Or is the culprit likely to be something else....Me for instance. Not doing something right. The only other texturing thingy I have Zygoroids oxp ,Asteroid Storm oxp and Reredi oxp. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Duggan wrote:
Or is the culprit likely to be something else....Me for instance.
I think it could well be my foolishness in putting the 'Textures' folder within the 'Config' folder :oops:

Try taking the textures folder out of there (but keeping it within the oxp) and it should work.

Sorry: first oxp :| (and it shows :lol: )

A very minor update should mean that version 0.5.6 will be ready very soon :mrgreen:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you Redspear,

Moving the textures folder out of the config folder as you suggested cured the issue. :D

As far as first oxp's go , This is fantastic.

In response to your above question, and I do know it's a matter of personal preference, I favour redux over demux. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Duggan wrote:
Thank you Redspear,

Moving the textures folder out of the config folder as you suggested cured the issue. :D

As far as first oxp's go , This is fantastic.

In response to your above question, and I do know it's a matter of personal preference, I favour redux over demux. :)
You are most welcome :)

I owe a lot of thanks to the original System Redux for it's scripting methods and to System Demux for teaching me how to reapply them... and then there's all the textures of course.
Come to think of it, I didn't do very much at all :lol:

...And thank YOU for reporting the issue... I'm just glad I could fix it :mrgreen:

Update to version 0.5.6 avaiable here: (or just move the config folder yourself...)
https://app.box.com/s/u6zwi9tts4anxqk87bgq

OK, maybe I need to rephrase my earlier question...

For those who prefer redux textures over demux ones, would any of the demux textures (on the left side of my earlier post) be welcome in your game? If so, which one did you like best?

By adding a cloud layer and reducing the vibrancy of the SD textures I can make them look (IMO) more like the SR ones. The great advantage of the SD textures is their sheer number, so it might be nice if they could complement rather than 'distract' from (in the minds of some) the SR textures.

Now that I've got the hang of it, adding a cloud layer is simple enough and adjusting light levels just requires a little time.

So, for anyone who'd like to see cloudy demux planets (cloudymux? :P :roll: ), please let me know if you prefer original texture + clouds or darkened texture + clouds.

Thanks.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Definitely cloudy for earth-looking ones.