Additional Planets SR.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Additional Planets SR.oxp

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:10 am
Sorry to chuck all of this at you at once!
Yeah, about that time I said I might have :lol:

No worries but I'll need some time to think about all that.

TBH, I've been rethinking this quite a bit.

As I may have posted elsewhere, I think a better idea might have been to plan this as an oxp to add only gas giants and moons (which would render the current title rather irrelevant of course).

Athough it's true that my thinking around the rescaling experiment may have flavoured this idea, I think it would also look better in the default game if it were, say, 'System Giants oxz'. Great value of adding gas giants is that they need to be bigger than the main planet, meanuing that you can place them further away. Normally, that would be worse (longer travel time for no appearance benefit) but one does rather expect gas giants to be, well, 'giant' and so in that case there would be a significant appearance benefit.

As a result of thinking this way for some time, without actually implementing it, I've been thinking rather differently about the planet textures offered here.

Meanwhile, I think that one of your questions may have already been answered up thread.