Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

KeeperHUD V1.2 (for widescreen high-res; 15 MFDs), Updated 4 Aug 2016

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: KeeperHUD (for widescreen)

Post by Keeper »

I actually considered that but figured it was such a minor change that it was more of a hassle for those few users who'd actually want it. I just knew somebody would say somethin'...! OK, OK, OK, I changed the OXP name to indicate version 1-001. I thought about more zeroes, but...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Keeper wrote:
I actually considered that but figured it was such a minor change that it was more of a hassle for those few users who'd actually want it.
That's an understandable yet actually wrong thought.

Why should it be a hassle for the users? If they want the new version, they have to download it anyway. If they don't care, they stay with the old version. No hassle at all.

The hassle begins the very moment when somebody reports a bug to you, and says it was in version X. Then you look at your version X and find that the bug isn't there, even the line number that the reporter referenced to doesn't exist. But it's clearly version X that you both are talking about. Very confusing. Then you'll have to tell your user that he has to download the other version X. Well, how many different versions, all with the same version number X—and therefore indistinguishable for the user!—will exist at this point? And how will your user know which of those is the one where the bug was fixed? Now that's a hassle, and it's entirely unnecessary and easily avoidable: Whenever you change anything (and be it just a comma in the accompanying readMe) and upload your OXP again, give it a new version number. :)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I don't know if Keeper is considering actually releasing his HUD as a full OXP Release. It's just a variant of the ClearHUD anyway. Perhaps it would be better not muddying the HUD waters and leave it as a variant for people to choose occasionally?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Keeper wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Next I'd like to move the position so that its left aligned with the comms log. I'd like to reduce the text size too, but I don't know if that's possible.

Edit: would it be the height = 16; variable that is the text size?
That and the width variable, yeah. Aligning it with the comms log will be a matter of trial and error for you, as the comms log x position represents the middle of the comms log box -- not the absolute x position -- so you can't simply copy the value from the comms_log_gui. You'll have to decrease the x value of the FPS display from -300 to -400 and see how that works, and tweak from there.
OK here are some tweaks of the FPS size and position. The third screenshot shows the FPS text isn't lined up with the comms box, but I'm happy with its position, so I'm going to keep it at that.

KeeperHUD adjusting FPS indicator size - text size 18, x -300 by JazHaz, on Flickr

KeeperHUD adjusting FPS indicator size - text size 14, x -400 by JazHaz, on Flickr

KeeperHUD adjusting FPS indicator size - text size 12, x -400 by JazHaz, on Flickr
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Lookin' good, Jaz. Just note that if you ever switch to a 16:10 aspect monitor (a typical desktop PC monitor), your FPS display will be slightly cut off on the left side. (The "margins" you see on the HUD are the extra width you get with a 16:9 display; on a 16:10 the HUD will have no margins on the sides, as you can see in some of my original screenshots.)
V12
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by V12 »

Sorry for my stupid question :
What OXP make this beautifull starfield and station ?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The station is from Griff's station bundle - see here.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Starfield is from ZygoCinematicSky&Nebula's.
V12
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by V12 »

Downloaded. Looks fantastic. Thank You.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Also worth noting is that JazHaz reduces the ambient light level in his installation to I think 25 percent. That produces the more realistic stark contrast you see in those station images. I do that too in my normal gameplay installation, currently set to 33 percent -- i.e. in planetinfo.plist, under "universal", setting

Code: Select all

"ambient_level" = "0.33";
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Keeper wrote:
Also worth noting is that JazHaz reduces the ambient light level in his installation to I think 25 percent.
I probably need to increase it a bit.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

I suppose I should have noted a while ago that the not-yet-implemented feature of Oolite that this HUD was designed to support now has been implemented in the Oolite V1.79 trunk build. Users of this HUD surely will have noticed that the size of the target reticle and surrounding text was reduced at some point when the reticle_scale support was added to the trunk builds.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Keeper wrote:
...the not-yet-implemented feature of Oolite that this HUD was designed to support now has been implemented in the Oolite V1.79 trunk build. Users of this HUD surely will have noticed...
Don't use trunk since the nightlies stopped being made, so I wouldn't have noticed lol.
Cody

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:
Don't use trunk since the nightlies stopped being made, so I wouldn't have noticed lol.
You're aware that the trunk nightlies are back - with an easy-update thingy too (sweet).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
You're aware that the trunk nightlies are back
And have been for a few months, in fact.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied