Split: Cheat OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Split: Cheat OXPs

Post by Smivs »

@ Commander McLane, I take your point.
It might simply be that we 'plug' the OXP list here so much folks don't realise there are other OXP pages on the wiki, although you'd expect the OXP page linked from the site index page would be quite well known. Obviously not!
Whatever, the 'recommended for newbies' list has to go somewhere, and it might be that the 'logical' place is the OXP list page. However that page is already so long that we've discussed splitting it before now, so I'm not sure that's the answer either.
Suggestion:- Give the 'newbies' list a page of its own, and link to it from the main OXP page and the OXP list page. Thoughts?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Smivs wrote:
Suggestion:- Give the 'newbies' list a page of its own, and link to it from the main OXP page and the OXP list page. Thoughts?
Sounds as a good idea that starters are first pointed to a list with the more popular oxps instead of a list of all oxps.

Which oxps should be on that list will be difficult.

You can add on the list of visual enhancement:
- Cargo Wreck Teaser
- Asteroid storm.

The late being two oxps in one: a mission oxp and an enhancement oxp. To what category should this go?
Capt. Reynolds
Competent
Competent

Post by Capt. Reynolds »

Eric Walch wrote:
The late being two oxps in one: a mission oxp and an enhancement oxp. To what category should this go?
Why not both? Have an entry that points to it in both sub-lists. The same thing would apply to things like Random Hits, which could be classed as a Mission-based OXP and a Dockables one.

On another note, I'm not entirely comfortable with the word "cheat" being bandied about so much. If Oolite was multiplayer it'd be valid, but how person X chooses to set up their own personal version with OXPs has absolutely zero effect on me and is none of my business, and vice versa. If you label an OXP as a cheat, by implication you're calling its users cheaters. Not a label I'd be happy with someone using on me, based purely on their opinion of how "cheaty" an OXP on my system was, whether its developer intended it that way or not.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

'Cheat' is perhaps too harsh a word in the context of a game that can be modded to one's heart's content - but it surely applies to a few OXPs. What word(s) to use instead though - OXPs that 'go against the spirit of the game' or are 'balance-breakers'? It's probably too subjective a thing to create a suitable list anyway.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Cody wrote:
What word(s) to use instead
Helpers?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Capt. Reynolds wrote:
On another note, I'm not entirely comfortable with the word "cheat" being bandied about so much. If Oolite was multiplayer it'd be valid, but how person X chooses to set up their own personal version with OXPs has absolutely zero effect on me and is none of my business, and vice versa. If you label an OXP as a cheat, by implication you're calling its users cheaters.
Cody wrote:
'Cheat' is perhaps too harsh a word in the context of a game that can be modded to one's heart's content
Well, if there's a consensus in the direction that there is no such thing as a cheat in a single player game, then … I'll be happy to remove any mention of the word "cheat" from [wiki]Killit OXP[/wiki] and to spam an improved version, where the Killit Missile automagically replaces itself right after firing (thus giving you unlimited, infallible ammo), to all new players as an absolutely must-have OXP, starting tomorrow. :P
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
I'll be happy to remove any mention of the word "cheat" from [wiki]Killit OXP[/wiki] and to spam an improved version, where the Killit Missile automagically replaces itself right after firing (thus giving you unlimited, infallible ammo), to all new players as an absolutely must-have OXP, starting tomorrow.
<sniggers>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Capt. Reynolds
Competent
Competent

Post by Capt. Reynolds »

Commander McLane wrote:
Well, if there's a consensus in the direction that there is no such thing as a cheat in a single player game, then … I'll be happy to remove any mention of the word "cheat" from [wiki]Killit OXP[/wiki] and to spam an improved version, where the Killit Missile automagically replaces itself right after firing (thus giving you unlimited, infallible ammo), to all new players as an absolutely must-have OXP, starting tomorrow. :P
You'd have to drop the price down to under 100Cr so new players could afford it straight off the bat.

In seriousness, though, you're actually talking about two separate issues there - balance-altering OXPs and over-promotion of one's own creations. We're adults; we can make our minds up for ourselves about whether to try/keep/bin an OXP or not. As for the self-promotion? Well, it's understandable in a way - I know if I made an OXP I'd want people to know about it - but you don't want a poster's every post to be along the lines of "that's really interesting, but let me tell you about my new Homing Turtle OXP that's brilliant!" But that's more a forums etiquette issue than anything else.

Incidentally, the OXP that made the most difference to my game balance was an Ambience one - actually, two. I was running one sky enhancement and decided to try a different one on a whim. All of a sudden I went from being able to pick out ships visually from way beyond scanner range to not being able to see someone up-sun of me from 10km!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
The NPCs don't (yet) know how to deal with plasma turrets (stand back out of range...) so fitting even one to a ship makes it incredibly dangerous.
Eh? On the odd occasion I take my Falcon out for a spin, the NPCs make quite a point of trying to stay out of range.
Depending on other factors (their armament, their accuracy level), it may be that they naturally hang back out of range, but there's nothing specific that would make them do that for the Falcon over a Cobra.
The behaviour I've seen is that often, as soon as they start taking hits from a plasma cannon, they move outside plasma range and start taking pot-shots in the typical 'shoot a few times, move sideways, shoot a few more times, move and repeat' way. Move towards them and turn the plasma against them again, and they'll fall back to suit.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Getting back on-topic, upon reflection I'm thinking Aliens might not be appropriate for the 'newbie' list as one of them is a bit aggressive and might come as a nasty shock to someone still flying a fairly basic Cobra.
Also, does Asteroid Storm still permanently remove a certain main station? If so that might not be appropriate either as there is a chance that a new player could get stuck there if they returned and couldn't re-fuel anywhere.
For now, I think we can add Snoopers and System features, and Cargo Wreck Teasers is probably OK as well.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Smivs wrote:
Also, does Asteroid Storm still permanently remove a certain main station?
Only if the player does the mission part of it, which they don't need to and may never do (for instance because of not being in a certain system).
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
The behaviour I've seen is that often, as soon as they start taking hits from a plasma cannon, they move outside plasma range and start taking pot-shots in the typical 'shoot a few times, move sideways, shoot a few more times, move and repeat' way. Move towards them and turn the plasma against them again, and they'll fall back to suit.
Interesting. That's better than I expected, though at least the smarter of them shouldn't be getting within plasma range in the first place if at all possible.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
the smarter of them shouldn't be getting within plasma range in the first place if at all possible.
I've seen that happen, too.. some of those, I can 'provoke' into coming within range (for a little while, at least, they catch on fast).. with others, I have to ummm.. force the issue.. :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: OXP compatibility and balance

Post by Svengali »

cim wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
It could be tricky to do consistently, of course: some OXPs might make things easier for Clean players but harder for Offenders or Fugitives, for example.
You could go with a range both positive and negative in the indicator, or for something like that (Galactic Navy would be a good example, I suppose) you could just have a different icon which meant "rewrites game balance" to make it clear that it gives the game as a whole a different feel, not just a change in difficulty.
Sounds good for me. I've started to work on templates to show icons -> [wiki]OXPIconSummary[/wiki] on OXP pages. A single icon for "rewrites game balance" and maybe two other for "favours Player" and "favours NPCs" then?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: OXP compatibility and balance

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Svengali wrote:
cim wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
It could be tricky to do consistently, of course: some OXPs might make things easier for Clean players but harder for Offenders or Fugitives, for example.
You could go with a range both positive and negative in the indicator, or for something like that (Galactic Navy would be a good example, I suppose) you could just have a different icon which meant "rewrites game balance" to make it clear that it gives the game as a whole a different feel, not just a change in difficulty.
Sounds good for me. I've started to work on templates to show icons -> [wiki]OXPIconSummary[/wiki] on OXP pages. A single icon for "rewrites game balance" and maybe two other for "favours Player" and "favours NPCs" then?
Are these any good to you? Fairly simple I would hope...

(Or based on suggestion on next page):

I also have these at very large scales (c. 1.7K x 1.7K)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here