Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Falcon or Caddy?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaveG
Competent
Competent

Falcon or Caddy?

Post by DaveG »

I'm sure this is a contentious issue! I currently have a Falcon S, nicely kitted out, and loving it. However, a change is as good as a rest, so I thought I'd look at the popular caddy. However, despite costing much more, it would appear to be a step backwards! Its quite a bit slower, and has a lot less carrying capacity! One extra missile slot doesn't really swing it for me... I make use of the extensive cargo bay!

So, am I missing something? Or is the Falcon essentially a little on the cheap side, and should possibly be more expensive than the caddy? Not that I'm complaining about a bargain!

Is there any other ship I could consider? I've just had a nice payout from one of the missions, so including trade in value, I have just over 1.2 million credits to spend - if its worth it!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Falcon or Caddy?

Post by Diziet Sma »

IIRC, Caddies are self repairing (well, self-healing is probably a more accurate way to put it) so that might be a factor worth considering.. and they have more turrets than a Falcon.. a broadside from a Caddy can be rather formidable.

And yes, the Falcon-S is somewhat underpriced given its' specifications.. or rather uber for the price, depending how you look at it. :wink:

(and yup, I love my Falcon-S, too.. It's a great smuggler's ship/blockade runner :twisted:)
DaveG wrote:
I've just had a nice payout from one of the missions, so including trade in value, I have just over 1.2 million credits to spend - if its worth it!
There's nothing stopping you from buying a Caddy, then saving under a new name, so you have both ships in your 'garage', so to speak.. that way you could try the Caddy and see what you think, but still have the last Falcon save to revert to if you decide it's not for you..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaveG
Competent
Competent

Post by DaveG »

I've saved every time I've changed ships, so i could so that! didn't realise the caddy had extra turrets - i may well give it a try then...

I know what you mean about 'garage' - i'd love it if the game could allow for multiple ships in one game, but I'm guessing thats a bit too 'new'!

Talking of the Falcon - remembering the film,, the falcon was popular as a smugglers ship because it had secret compartments. I'm not an OXP writer, but I wonder if it would be possible to buy extra smuggling equipment to allow this? I'm thinking the extra cargo hold could be a secret one, allowing you to dock with controlled items, and not affect your status. The offset could be that there is a set chance of you getting caught, and have your equipment confiscated and instantly become fugitive for a period of time. Maybe a fine as well...

Just an idea! probably not the best thread for it, but...!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

DaveG wrote:
I know what you mean about 'garage' - i'd love it if the game could allow for multiple ships in one game, but I'm guessing thats a bit too 'new'!
There's the Extended Shipyards OXP, though it's not finished and Capt. Murphy hasn't been seen for a while. (1.77 only, and also needs the experimental "Ship Storage Helper" OXP)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

DaveG wrote:
Talking of the Falcon - remembering the film,, the falcon was popular as a smugglers ship because it had secret compartments. I'm not an OXP writer, but I wonder if it would be possible to buy extra smuggling equipment to allow this? I'm thinking the extra cargo hold could be a secret one, allowing you to dock with controlled items, and not affect your status. The offset could be that there is a set chance of you getting caught, and have your equipment confiscated and instantly become fugitive for a period of time. Maybe a fine as well...
Thargoids Hypercargo comes probably close to the secret compartments. It hides the cargo from other OXPs which are checking the players hold by moving commodities in script properties/missionVariables. Drawback is that this may break other OXPs (missions or other cargo dealing OXPs).

A pretty unknown feature is the ship inspection in the Vector.oxp. I haven't checked if this still works in Oolite 1.77, but it's only triggered in two scripts which are only rarely used. It has the same drawback as Hypercargo, because it removes illegal cargo if found and the player gets fined. I guess it's time to finish CCL and update the Vector.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaveG wrote:
didn't realise the caddy had extra turrets
3 on each side, to be precise.. and the Omega variant has two more, one each on the belly and dorsal spine.
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Caduceus
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
DaveG wrote:
didn't realise the caddy had extra turrets
3 on each side, to be precise.. and the Omega variant has two more, one each on the belly and dorsal spine.
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Caduceus
<mutters something about a flying Rehnquist>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
Guess I'm not getting the reference here.. my searches mostly turn up things related to a US Supreme Court Judge, which I'm guessing is not what you're getting at.. :lol:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
Guess I'm not getting the reference here.. my searches mostly turn up things related to a US Supreme Court Judge, which I'm guessing is not what you're getting at..
<smirks> Have you lost your google-fu, Diz? There is a connection, of sorts, to that judge!
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I get to thinking, if one is going down the caddy route, and one indeed has the dollar, there is something of a chimera out there, A biological ship of a sort that is and of it self an organism, some would call it an experiment gone very wrong indeed. I am almost (but not quiet) loath to post the link here because some do , and with good reason , regard this vessel as an abomination to both Man and God, That said and in my own experience, To fight demons in inter system "witch" space or on a navy mission, you ideally need to be piloting a Demon from the very pit of Hell https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... rk+Rainbow of your own.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
<smirks> Have you lost your google-fu, Diz? There is a connection, of sorts, to that judge!
Not quite.. let's just say I have a lot on my plate right now, so I didn't take the time to delve any deeper than perusing the first couple of links.. Will check it out some time.
Duggan wrote:
I get to thinking, if one is going down the caddy route, and one indeed has the dollar, there is something of a chimera out there, A biological ship of a sort that is and of it self an organism, some would call it an experiment gone very wrong indeed. I am almost (but not quiet) loath to post the link here because some do , and with good reason , regard this vessel as an abomination to both Man and God, That said and in my own experience, To fight demons in inter system "witch" space or on a navy mission, you ideally need to be piloting a Demon from the very pit of Hell https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... rk+Rainbow of your own.
Ahh.. the old 'nothing exceeds like excess' method, eh? :mrgreen:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
... let's just say I have a lot on my plate right now, so I didn't take the time to delve any deeper than perusing the first couple of links.. Will check it out some time.
I'll save you the Potter Stewarting effort, amigo: it's a slang reference from Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy, the sequel to The Illuminatus Trilogy - both hilarious reads!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Muchas gracias, amigo.. that explains things.. sadly, I've read very little RAW to date.. it's on my ever-expanding to-do list, though!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Lol. Reading this thread last night, made me dream about buying a Caddie. Not got the credits. :(
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Ahh.. the old 'nothing exceeds like excess' method, eh? :mrgreen:
I should really do the old disqualifier here.... The Warty Popsicle has in my opinion indeed absolutely no place what so ever in a "normal" game.

If however maintaining a lock on targets that shift about all over the place is difficult to impossible.
and if one has, extra thargoids, thorgorn threat, galactic navy, swarm and thargoid carrier installed, there might just be some use for this chimera after all.

Getting to elite using solely vanilla may well in fact be a bit life consuming else wise(hats off to those who have slogged it out though).
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV