Best ship ever?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Best ship ever?

Post by ArkanoiD »

Though i still fly old Cobra mkIII (not my first one - got almost "like new" with NEU and MSE on Ceesxe for just 260,000cr !) i am thinking about better and faster ship and i hope to get it just as i get enough money to afford it. So i consider SuperCobra (reminds me MkIV from LinewarsII) and Fer-de-Lance NG. The second one is DAMN fast! But - its shields are not upgradeable, not even generic shield boosters nor to speak of MSE. Any advices? Does anyone drive FdL NG here? Is it practical enough if massive pirate attack or thargoid invasion happens?
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Fer de Lance isn't worth its price, IMHO... Supercobra's a good ship, if you got the money.
So is the Wolf MkII SE, and the Imperial Courier.

(Wolf kinda hard to find sometimes at the shop, esp. the special editions...)
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Rxke wrote:
Fer de Lance isn't worth its price, IMHO... Supercobra's a good ship, if you got the money.
So is the Wolf MkII SE, and the Imperial Courier.

(Wolf kinda hard to find sometimes at the shop, esp. the special editions...)
0.6LS! 0.15 faster than Supercobra!
And Wolf MkII is not cheap either..
What are Imperial Courier's data?
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Speed isn't everything, esp. in big fights, I find myself slowing down lots of times, (and then accellerating again,) sometimes even coming to a complete stop, when one of those smaller ships start to circle me, when you have a ship that's agile enough, you can then easily get them on your twelve...

Imp C: 100 tonnes, 7 energybanks, can have all the extra's, and quite speedy (forgot exact numbers) the specsheet isn't up at the wiki (yet)
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Rxke wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
Imp C: 100 tonnes, 7 energybanks, can have all the extra's, and quite speedy (forgot exact numbers) the specsheet isn't up at the wiki (yet)
I have OXP installed but haven't seen any for sale nor in the space..
Lanx
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Lanx »

Rxke wrote:

Speed isn't everything, esp. in big fights, I find myself slowing down lots of times, (and then accellerating again,) sometimes even coming to a complete stop, when one of those smaller ships start to circle me, when you have a ship that's agile enough, you can then easily get them on your twelve...
Agreed. There are basically two NPC strategies: either they start to circle me, then it is better to slow down. Following them is much easier that way. Or they use their fuel injectors (Fer de Lance, Mussurana); then I tend to ignore them and to do something else like scooping up some cargo barrels until they exaust all their fuel and are forced to fly at normal speed again.

BTW, is the Wolf MK II SE avaible in the same oxp like the normal Wolf MK II?

And where can I buy a Mussurana? There seems to be no planet which offers these ships.
Commander Gralen
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Gralen »

:lol:
Check my av!
I preffer that one, my av, the one i work in,
the one i got to dangerous in,
the one i kill offenders with,
My favorite:
The Wolf mkII SE!!

8) :twisted: 8)
I am not worthy of thy presence! Now get out of here!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

A very good ship indeed, but pricey... for about half the price you've got yourself a SuperCobra, which isn't bad either.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Rxke wrote:
A very good ship indeed, but pricey... for about half the price you've got yourself a SuperCobra, which isn't bad either.
And for just a few more credits you get an Imperial Courier which seems to be *much* better.
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Rxke wrote:
And for just a few more credits you get an Imperial Courier which seems to be *much* better.
Agreed. An Imp-courier is a murderer: once you fly one of those, you're practically invulnerable, and can carry most of what you want.
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
Commander Gralen
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Gralen »

I havent seen one of those anywhere...

But the Wolf mkII SE still looks cool 8)
I am not worthy of thy presence! Now get out of here!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Selz, don't kill me since I've not downloaded the Courier for a while (so it may have been updated). But the Courier OXP I have is desperately unbalanced - the Courier itself looks *much* smaller than it appears to be in FFE, it's way too manoeverable and way too fast. Compared to a Cobra and an Asp, the Courier is a lumbering beast - I think in Oolite, it should be on a par with a PCC.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Later versions of the Courier did slow it down a fair bit, since during playtesting it was stupidly fast.

Give the new version a try, download it from here and let me know if it's any better...

Dammit. I just loaded the model and the Cobra model to compare. The Cobra is bigger than the Courier!! I distinctly remember resizing the model to make the Cobra rest between the outriggers when it was up against the bottom of the Courier's hull.

OK, looks like I'll be bringing out a new version soon. I'll resize the model and make it scale properly.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Selezen wrote:
Later versions of the Courier did slow it down a fair bit, since during playtesting it was stupidly fast.

Give the new version a try, download it from here and let me know if it's any better...

Dammit. I just loaded the model and the Cobra model to compare. The Cobra is bigger than the Courier!! I distinctly remember resizing the model to make the Cobra rest between the outriggers when it was up against the bottom of the Courier's hull.

OK, looks like I'll be bringing out a new version soon. I'll resize the model and make it scale properly.
Will it still be 0.500LS?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

No, it won't. It's 0.375LS now.

I've uploaded the new one. It should be V2.2. The ship is now a more realistic size.

Stupid Selezen.