Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Eye Candy OXP's

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Eye Candy OXP's

Post by iperich »

thanks for the link, Cody, it was not the one I found. Well... now everything looks cooler... :)
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk"
(Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez)
Agis Silverfish
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Agis Silverfish »

Hi! It's been a long time!

I have a question regarding PovrayPlanets and I haven't been able to find the answer yet. I don't know what to do with the Galaxy Packs. Do I have to put them inside the Povray_Planets_1.0.oxp folder? What about the Config and the Textures folders that come with the Galaxy Packs? Thank you! :)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Agis Silverfish wrote:
Do I have to put them inside the Povray_Planets_1.0.oxp folder?
No - just drop the eight Povray OXPs (with their sub-folders) into your AddOns folder. You don't need the Povray_Planets_1.0.oxp at all
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Agis Silverfish
Dangerous
Dangerous

Thank you, but it doesn't work here. Anyway, the game looks sweet. :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Agis Silverfish wrote:
Thank you, but it doesn't work here.
Odd - that's how I have it set-up. Perhaps submersible will have a clue when he cruises by.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Cody wrote:
Agis Silverfish wrote:
Thank you, but it doesn't work here.
Odd - that's how I have it set-up. Perhaps submersible will have a clue when he cruises by.
It is intended the Galaxy packs just replace planet textures using planetinfo.plist . IF you have other eye-candy installed which manipulate system.mainPlanet.texture using javascript - then they would appear to be not working.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

It might be an idea if someone with proper documenting skillz would put some text to the Povray wikipage about installing in general and tweaks to make it work with other oxps. System Redux, System Demux, DH Systems and FP particularly. I'm counting myself out as time is limited and producing even close to proper English takes ages for me :(.
Agis Silverfish
Dangerous
Dangerous

Thank you! :D
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

By way of suggestion.

If you have limited memory in your machine a quiet acceptable alternative to the amazing (though space occupying) Povray Planet re textures, is CaptKev and Kaks System Redux along with the System Redux update;

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/System ... 8Oolite%29
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I would also recommend System Demux OXP too.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cim wrote this in 2013. How much has changed?

cim wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 am
So, firstly: there is no need to apologise for giving your honest opinion on the game. Oolite is not "finished" yet, and it's always useful to us to know where players think improvements should be made.

Some of the graphics in Oolite are OXPable, and others aren't, and some are more OXPable than others.
Ships: entirely OXPable, with shader support. (For these purposes, stations, nav buoys, missiles, etc. are also ships). There are several replacement ship OXPs for a range of hardware power.
Planets: texturable by OXPs. Shader support and other improvements are being worked on by submersible for future versions. There are several planet texture pack OXPs.
Stars/nebula backdrop: star and nebula textures can be changed by OXPs.
Suns: OXP control restricted to a few display parameters. Some improvements to the basic look will be in future versions. The sheer size of them makes conventional texturing impractical.
Explosions: OXP control is very limited. There are a few global texture files which could be replaced by an OXP, though I don't know if any OXPs do that.
Lasers: OXP control limited. OXPs can pick the colour, and could in theory replace the global laser texture.
HUDs: OXPs can redefine HUDs, though support is mostly limited to adding graphics and rearranging or duplicating existing elements. Lots of HUD OXPs are available.
Status screens: OXPs can define background and overlay images. Slightly more flexibility, including some animation, is possible on mission screens. A few OXPs are available for this.

The base game intentionally has very low system requirements. (I'm not sure how well it would actually run on that minimum system, though). I currently play Oolite on a 6-year old computer with on-motherboard graphics card: other members of the forum have even lower-spec systems. My aim when developing is a consistent 60 FPS on my system, which I hope ends up with acceptable performance on the older ones.

Obviously there's still room for graphical improvement even within those constraints, and explosions definitely could be better. Does anyone want to do some concept art for explosions?
I presume that this led to Z_U's explosions...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:08 am
I presume that this led to Z_U's explosions...
Explosions are nowadays very much changeable. Color, style, time ... you name it.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.