[RELEASE] Towbar OXP v1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

NorthenderPNE
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [RELEASE] Towbar OXP v1.0

Post by NorthenderPNE »

Nite Owl wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:56 pm
This error crops up for me as well when adventuring in Interstellar Space. No idea how to fix it as this one is beyond my coding abilities. It has to do with the towbar.js (main Towbar functionality script) looking for a system's Main Station to gather price information as it relates to goods that might be towed in on a Disabled Ship. Since there is no Main Station in Interstellar Space the script throws the error into Mr. Latest Log. The longer you are in Interstellar Space the more times the error will be thrown into the log.

Unfortunately dybal, the last person to update the Towbar OXZ, is no longer around so we are stuck with this one until someone with the coding expertise decides to take on the task. The error does not cause any sort of problem with the game, no crashes or major faults. It is just an annoyance in the log that corrects itself once a player returns to Regular Space. The towbar.js can then once again call up the information it is looking for from a Main Station.
Thanks for taking the time and explaining in detail to me Nite Owl, appreciated. :wink:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

After a quick look at the js, there are only 2 chances where this error could appear. Either block it, but I am not sure what will be the consequences, or offer a default values instead.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Unofficial Towbar OXZ 1.2 with fixes based on the just-released 1.1

https://ufile.io/rfx758fc

2022.10.28, v1.2
- Fix typos
- Compatibility fix for Q-Charger
- Compatibility fix for Telescope
- Reduce size of more-alloys1 (model_scale_factor = 0.5)
- Fix more-in-one script (check for undefined cargo)
- avoid errors in log after asteroid storm
- Fix some cargo pods having wrong name
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Bug

Any items that float away from a ship while it is being towed and are then scooped do not get added as cargo. It is as if you never scooped them at all. Nothing pops up in Mr. Latest Log to identify the problem. Thanks to you both for keeping Towbar updated. It is much appreciated.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Nite Owl wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:03 am
Bug

Any items that float away from a ship while it is being towed and are then scooped do not get added as cargo. It is as if you never scooped them at all. Nothing pops up in Mr. Latest Log to identify the problem. Thanks to you both for keeping Towbar updated. It is much appreciated.
What does appear in the log when this happens? Towbar is fairly verbose with console or comms messages and logging and has distinctive lines for different cases, so the messages when the cargo was lost from the towed ship would give us a better idea of where to look in the code. There is also a log message when scooping the special pods created by Towbar that can contain multiple commodities. If you didn't see that, it suggests that the ejected cargo was a regular cargo pod, which might mean that the problem lies in some other OXP you use that adds cargo pods.

TL;DR - please share your log next time this happens.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Once time became available for some extensive testing the problems have been resolved. It is nothing for the creators and updaters of Towbar to be concerned with. The problem was caused by my extensive TWEAKING of this OXZ. All is now working as it should in v1.2 although there are still a few things to be TWEAKED to bring it to my total satisfaction, a never ending process really.. Thank You once again for your time and effort.

MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Fun! Flying a D.T.T. War Lance with a towbar... when towing, rear view is down the pipe of the towbar. Sometimes the towbar stays on when no longer towing, which makes battle a bit hairy.

I've suggested an OXP tweak viewtopic.php?p=295058#p295058.
Last edited by MrFlibble on Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

I am no longer getting status of target ships with Towbar. They are all either 'Unknown', or don't get past "Trap or Treasure". None are 'Normal' any more.

This is with the dev version of Oolite 1.91.0.7595-240312-1dd89be x86_64 Linux.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:32 am
I am no longer getting status of target ships with Towbar. They are all either 'Unknown', or don't get past "Trap or Treasure". None are 'Normal' any more.
Which HUD are you using?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:18 am
MrFlibble wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:32 am
Which HUD are you using?
I use extra large from HUD selector with 10 MFDs, which I've used since before installing Towbar.

I've also got the Vimana-X HUD installed (installed more recently, so a possible OXP clash suspect), which is great eye-candy. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the zoom tweak effect applies across HUDs. (though "system-wide tweak" should have been my clue).
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

MrFlibble wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:22 pm
Fun! Flying a D.T.T. War Lance with a towbar... when towing, rear view is down the pipe of the towbar. Sometimes the towbar stays on when no longer towing, which makes battle a bit hairy. I've suggested an OXP tweak viewtopic.php?p=295058#p295058.

What version of Towbar are you using? If it is v1.2 (the latest) then you should be able to go into the Library OXZ Configuration from the F4 screen and change the Towbar's appearance. (Putting this here from your post over in the D.T.T. War Lance Thread) The options are: 0 = Retractable, 1= Fixed, 2 = Tractor Beam. Retractable (default) means that the Towbar is only visible when in use. Fixed means that the Towbar is always visible. Tractor Beam means that the Towbar is never visible. There is another way of doing this via a TWEAK to the towbar.js file if you are using an older version of Towbar or do not have the Library OXZ installed. Look for the line this.$TowbarAppearance = [#] and change the [#] to one of the options mentioned above (0 or 1 or 2).

MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Nite Owl wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:36 pm
MrFlibble wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:22 pm
Fun! Flying a D.T.T. War Lance with a towbar... when towing, rear view is down the pipe of the towbar. Sometimes the towbar stays on when no longer towing, which makes battle a bit hairy. I've suggested an OXP tweak viewtopic.php?p=295058#p295058.

What version of Towbar are you using? If it is v1.2 (the latest) then you should be able to go into the Library OXZ Configuration from the F4 screen and change the Towbar's appearance. (Putting this here from your post over in the D.T.T. War Lance Thread) The options are: 0 = Retractable, 1= Fixed, 2 = Tractor Beam. Retractable (default) means that the Towbar is only visible when in use. Fixed means that the Towbar is always visible. Tractor Beam means that the Towbar is never visible. There is another way of doing this via a TWEAK to the towbar.js file if you are using an older version of Towbar or do not have the Library OXZ installed. Look for the line this.$TowbarAppearance = [#] and change the [#] to one of the options mentioned above (0 or 1 or 2).
I forgot Towbar had a config in there. Thank you.

I just tried tractor. For some, that may be the perfect workaround, but I prefer it visible. AFAICT there's no Towbar state indicator other than temporary messages. Sometimes I 'm uncertain of the state of Towbar, e.g. I've been distracted (checking cargo hold or whatever), think I heard it reconnect, or just plain forgotten. I can verify the current state by glancing at rear view.