Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] RandomHits 1.7.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Release] RandomHits 1.7.1

Post by spara »

This is a (mostly) graphical upgrade of the RandomHits oxp version 1.4.18. Shaders, complex models and high resolution textures are used wherever possible. The main aim has been to make this oxp as beautiful as possible mainly by using resources created by other, skilled collaborators. I have also done some minor modifications to make this oxp fit better into a Griffified game with some popular oxps.

As a result the oxp has grown in size and will probably require a decent computer. You'll want to use shaders with this one.

This is not an addon oxp, it replaces RandomHits 1.4.18.

Download from the wiki.

-----

Original post:

Hello.

RandomHits is one of my favorite oxp's and I feel that it deserves a graphical update. I have updated/changed every ship from the oxp to newer and fancier models. If there was a ship that has no newer model, then I have changed the ship to something similar in stats. I have used quite a lot of time trying to decide what ships to use to substitute those old ships. I hope you like my choices :D. Feel free to comment them. Changing those ships was quite an adventure as the original oxp is quite complex.

I put this out as a wip as I have not tested it very extensively. As before, all feedback is very much appreciated.

Note that this is quite a big one, ~80 MB. Also note that this is not an addon oxp, it replaces RandomHits 1.4.18.

Hope you like it :D.
Last edited by spara on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] RandomHits facelift 0.1

Post by Tichy »

I'll try it very soon! :)

...as soon as I find an anarchic system. :D
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Wow, that's a great update. Makes all the changes I'd wanted to do if I still had the time for OXPing. I'm currently engaging the Real Life Thargoid Chris Grayling (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48628) as well as my day job ([Shameless Plug] Please sign the petition [/Shameless Plug]). Would you mind merging the two OXPs for an all in one new version of Random Hits and I'll link the merged version on the Random Hits Page? Sorry to ask you to do the donkey work, but Real Life is pretty pressing at the moment. :(
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

LittleBear wrote:
Wow, that's a great update. Makes all the changes I'd wanted to do if I still had the time for OXPing. I'm currently engaging the Real Life Thargoid Chris Grayling (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48628) as well as my day job ([Shameless Plug] Please sign the petition [/Shameless Plug]). Would you mind merging the two OXPs for an all in one new version of Random Hits and I'll link the merged version on the Random Hits Page? Sorry to ask you to do the donkey work, but Real Life is pretty pressing at the moment. :(
Hello LittleBear. I'll be happy to do the merging, might take a couple of weeks though. Vacation, family and all :D. I'm still pondering a couple of ship substitutions more as I would like update those Neolite Wolfies to a more detailed ships. When i'm finished, I'll be RandomHits 2.0 then.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Small Bug Report: The Mosquito Trader is being picked as a Level 2 Victim (but appears with no ship in the background). Not had time to poke around the code, but suspect it is still on the Ships List without a model. When picked the OXP runs ok and the hit is generated, but with no model in the background. Suspect that if accepted no ship would be at the generated system. Think it needs the name removed from the ships list.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

LittleBear wrote:
Small Bug Report: The Mosquito Trader is being picked as a Level 2 Victim (but appears with no ship in the background). Not had time to poke around the code, but suspect it is still on the Ships List without a model. When picked the OXP runs ok and the hit is generated, but with no model in the background. Suspect that if accepted no ship would be at the generated system. Think it needs the name removed from the ships list.
Great spot. Too much tedious work produces errors like this :). Here's an updated script.js file that will fix it: https://app.box.com/s/67xrgqgkb2ochfkl71xt. Full update to the oxp shall wait a bit longer, as I'll be making more changes.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

LittleBear wrote:
I'm currently engaging the Real Life Thargoid Chris Grayling (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48628) as well as my day job ([Shameless Plug] Please sign the petition [/Shameless Plug]).
Done.

Nice work, spara! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Storwiz
Poor
Poor

Post by Storwiz »

spara
Thank you. I'm going to test it.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

LittleBear wrote:
Re: Petition - done.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] RandomHits 1.5 (was facelift)

Post by spara »

Now it's somewhat done. Here's a wip version of the Random Hits oxp ver 1.5. I have merged the facelift in and updated/switched the remaining ships to new shadered ones. Here are the details:

[Edited to hide details]
Last edited by spara on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

spara wrote:
* Changed Purple Haze to Cobra S9 by Staer9/Smivs
But I liked the Purple Haze (and its use of q-bombs)! But: thanks!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

UK_Eliter wrote:
spara wrote:
* Changed Purple Haze to Cobra S9 by Staer9/Smivs
But I liked the Purple Haze (and its use of q-bombs)! But: thanks!
Purple haze is a cool ship, I'll grant that. It was a tough call to replace it, but in the end I decided that I want all ships to use shaders so it just had to go. Don't worry about the q-bombs though, I only changed the ship and it's characteristic values. I did not touch anything else as I did not want to alter the balance. The substitutes I have chosen are about the same power level as the originals, some are a bit tougher, some are a bit weaker.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Thanks for the reply. You say that you 'want all ships to use shaders' - well, I don't. However, it's your call, I suppose :) ; and someone could create their own Purplehaze OXP. But hang on, there's a third alternative. :D To wit: retain in your OXP the texture and code for the 'Haze, but set that ship not to appear by default and yet include instructions on how (by editing the shipdata file) to enable it. What do you think?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Thanks for the reply. You say that you 'want all ships to use shaders' - well, I don't. However, it's your call, I suppose :) ; and someone could create their own Purplehaze OXP. But hang on, there's a third alternative. :D To wit: retain in your OXP the texture and code for the 'Haze, but set that ship not to appear by default and yet include instructions on how (by editing the shipdata file) to enable it. What do you think?
Not impossible at all, although it would require editing script too, for it to be a hit mark. Shaders are not a definite must for me, but limiting to ships which use shaders makes them more nicely fit together. At least I see it that way :) . I was anticipating something like this, so I actually have a couple of solutions in mind

1. An extra oxp that adds those must have oldies.
2. Someone updates the model(s) to use materials. In case of purple haze, the model is quite good in my opinion. Too bad I'm not really up for this job :(.
3. I just put those must have oldies back in. :D Not really a problem for me, if I get more feedback to that direction.

If it's just the phaze, I would love if someone with proper skills would take a look at the texture and materials.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I just downloaded v1.5, looking good.

There seems to be two versions of ReadMe.rtf, one inside the OXP folder, and a newer (and bigger) one outside the folder.