Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Market inquirer

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Market inquirer

Post by spara »

Version 1.12.1 fixes the bug with Kiotas reported by Charles: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18216.
PaisleySleeves
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by PaisleySleeves »

I really like this OXP/expansion, after docking and saving this is the next screen I consult to check the best price for the items I am transporting.

Just recently I started tinkering with Oolite myself and have added a few more commodity items, these seem to be working well, I'm not sure if I have the prices balanced quite right yet but that's another story. My issue is that because my commodity list is now longer the last few items don't appear on the Market Inquirer screen :( , as you can see in this image:

Do you have any plans on updating this expansion further, if so would it be possible to add the ability to scroll the list of commodities, alternatively maybe you or someone with the know how could please possibly point me in the direction of perhaps doing this myself.

Thanks again for a great addition to Oolite.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Friendly phkb has kindly made an update (1.13) to this oxp to somewhat cope with custom commodities that add the total number of commodities and break the commodity display screen. A feature has been added to hide (useless) commodities from the F4-report screen. Big thank you, phkb, for keeping fixing these and keeping them alive. It's much appreciated :D .
Zed
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zed »

I think the last update mucked up the MFD. The main station show up as "Main Stationundefined."
Oo: Rebooting
E:D: Hunting for Earth-likes
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Zed wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 am
I think the last update mucked up the MFD. The main station show up as "Main Stationundefined."
Thanks for the report. Fixed now (1.13.1).
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Hi Sorry to jump in but I'm struggling to get the in flight MFD working at all.
I can get the market listings whilst in dock via the F4 option but cannot get the listings up whilst in flight and get the feeling that I'm missing something probably blatantly obvious to everyone else.
Whilst in flight I select the MFD and activate it using "n" , subsequently pressing "n" or "b" does not seem to do anything , hitting F8 just reveals the standard main station market prices.
Does the unit activate only when you hyperspace into a system?
I tend to launch from a station, mine and then make my way to the station which will offer the best prices on my mined materials, if I could just get the in-flight MFD displaying it would save me an an extra trip to a station.
During flight, should the market prices display via F8 or is it via a small cockpit view box?
Could it be that my ships HUD is affecting things (the Boa clipper uses a non-standard HUD)?
Or is there another OXP which is required?
Apologies if I am posting extraneous details (I have a horrible feeling that the answer is right in front of me - just that I'm blind to it) :oops:
Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

It "should" work so that you buy the associated MFD-equipment, prime it and browse the markets. Note though that only some of the secondary stations are included to hinder cheating a bit. If I recall it correctly, Kiotas and Stations for extra stations are included. I'll check it at some point.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

There are two things you need to do in-flght: display the MFD, and prime the equipment item. These are different functions, and based on your description ('activating it (an MFD) using "n") it looks like your confusing the two a bit.

Step 1: Displaying an MFD
On my Windows setup, select an MFD location by pressing ":" (shift+";"), then select the content of the MFD using ";".

Step 2: Priming a piece of equipment.
You do this by pressing "N" (shift-"n"). Once it's primed, press "b" and "n" to move between the different commodities.

Hope this helps!
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

@phkb: Thank you for discerning my unfamiliarity with this oxp and the connected processes. Please forgive my ignorance but I'm wondering if you can clarify for me exactly what a MFD is please as although I guess it is an acronym for Multi Function Display it still seems a little ambiguous as to what we are referring to?
Are we referring to a second (separate) display / monitor or are we referring to an overlay which appears on your main monitor?
If it is a process external to oolite which generates an overlay to your main display? If it is a windows process which generates this, can you tell me which one (if I can glean which windows process is at work I maybe able to find a Linux equivalent)?
Are there any users of this oxp that are running on a Linux rig and if so can you offer any guidance to me please or do I need to accept that it is an oxp geared for Windows?
Apologies again for for ineptitude in this area.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Nothing external about MFDs - but I'll leave it to a boffin to explain.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Simply press the semicolon key a few times until you see something like this on your HUD:

Most HUD can display MFDs. If you use a custom one which lack of MFD support then try another HUD, for example using HUDSelector, which also contain a help to arrange your favorite MFDs. Another helper package is MFD Fast Configuration.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Thanks Norby :D
Being aware of what ":" & ";" does was the gaping hole in my knowledge, (to be honest being aware that they did anything in oolite).
All working fine for me now that I am aware of this.
Thank you for alleviating my ignorance in this matter - I shall hang my head in suitable shame :oops:
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

The latest updates to the Navigation MFD have created a slight problem for the Market Inquirer. The "In System Distances" screen reached from F4 no longer shows any distances. They are all listed as "undefined". After some script hunting the culprit appears to be a change in the Navigation MFD's definitions of these distances. Market Inquirer calls these definitions from the Navigation MFD script to determine these distances. Script-Fu is not yet one of my strong points so this is strictly speculation on my part. How to go about repairing this is beyond me and would be better left in the hands of a True Scripting Master. <Bows to Sensei> Thank you in advance for your time and effort.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Well, as I broke it I should probably try and fix it! I’ll have a look and get back to you shortly.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

A new version (1.14) is up in the manager. Phkb has again kindly bug fixed yet another one :).