Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Market inquirer

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Market inquirer 1.4

Post by JazHaz »

Yes, it looks better:

Market Inquirer Distances v1.4.1 by JazHaz, on Flickr
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Market inquirer 1.5

Post by spara »

"GalCop has recognized the growth of in-system markets and wants to guide the critical mass of traders to the approved stations where the trade can be justly taxed. As a tool of gentle guiding, the "Inquirer" is made available to the public. All approved stations are obliged to offer the service as an interface and the invaluable equipment "advanced space compass" used by the majority of traders is silently upgraded with the inquirer functionality."
New version (1.5). First of all, thank you JazHaz for vigorous testing, suggesting and reporting. Your help has been invaluable for the development of this oxp. Time to spend is limited for all of us and without your help this would have taken a lot longer. Now it feels quite feature finished. Fingers crossed there are not many bugs left :D.

* S.I.R.F added to the approved markets.
* Without ASC markets and distances are available from all approved stations as interfaces.
* With ASC markets and distances are available where ever you travel, except interstellar space and some very special cases.
* Markets screen now uses pager for you to browse all available inquirer markets. Works both in-flight and when docked.
* Red background frame when flying to remind you of the obvious dangers and green frame when docked.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I know.... I know....but ...would it be possible to add market prices for these too please or would that be too much ?

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14880

Thanks for yet another useful OXP :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Duggan wrote:
I know.... I know....but ...would it be possible to add market prices for these too please or would that be too much ?

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14880
We'll better wait until that oxp a bit more finished and if some bugs will surface with this oxp before making another update, but in the meantime you can edit the station's shipdata.plist and add role "inquirer_station" to it's role definitions.
Duggan wrote:
Thanks for yet another useful OXP :)
You're most welcome. 8)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I'm going to add Navy Seccom stations to my copy of the Inquirer. However GalNavy uses the old plist format (openstep??).

I'm not sure about this format, but have I got this correct:?

Code: Select all

<string>Navy SecCom Station</string>
		<key>roles</key>
		<string>navystat station inquirer_station</string>
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yep, the syntax is correct. Entries in lists are separated by SPACEs.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

In the below screenshot, I was docked at the Kiota Mega Habitat Station. I was looking to see how far the main station was. I assume that is the distance to the Navigation Buoy, but I'm not sure. I think a useful update would be to have this entry as "Main Station" instead?

Also, while I'm here, I was looking on the main Inquirer screen and saw the "Swap" option, to bring up another page. I can report that function works fine, although I wasn't aware that had been added. Maybe an update to the readme would be in order?

Market Inquirer v1.5 Distances by JazHaz, on Flickr
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It might also be a nice tweak to hide the beacon data of the station you're on from the list?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JazHaz wrote:
I'm going to add Navy Seccom stations to my copy of the Inquirer. However GalNavy uses the old plist format (openstep??).

I'm not sure about this format, but have I got this correct:?

Code: Select all

<string>Navy SecCom Station</string>
		<key>roles</key>
		<string>navystat station inquirer_station</string>
I think you also need to tweak the roles of "navystat25", "navystat50" and "navystat75". Those are used when you have some discounts earned.
JazHaz wrote:
In the below screenshot, I was docked at the Kiota Mega Habitat Station. I was looking to see how far the main station was. I assume that is the distance to the Navigation Buoy, but I'm not sure. I think a useful update would be to have this entry as "Main Station" instead?
Good idea. Will put that to the next version.
JazHaz wrote:
Also, while I'm here, I was looking on the main Inquirer screen and saw the "Swap" option, to bring up another page. I can report that function works fine, although I wasn't aware that had been added. Maybe an update to the readme would be in order?
You're right, I didn't remember to point that out. I only mentioned the pager. I should also put up a wiki page :).
Thargoid wrote:
It might also be a nice tweak to hide the beacon data of the station you're on from the list?
Absolutely. At least one more version to come before going to a vacation.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Market inquirer 1.6

Post by spara »

New version (1.6). Added those small tweaks.

* When docked, inquirer does not show the station's beacon or buoy as Thargoid suggested
* Main stations "Navigation Buoy" text is replaced with "Main Station" text as JazHaz suggested

Updated the images and added a mention of the "swap" feature.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

spara wrote:
New version (1.6). Added those small tweaks.
Thanks. Think that should be the last update before you go on holiday. Have a good one!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Excellent OXP. I find myself using it everytime I enter a new system to check for the best price. 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
DaveG
Competent
Competent

Post by DaveG »

Just added a bunch or new OXPs, including planets, extra stations, and this one! Loving the new feel to my ooniverse!

I have a question, and I hope this is the best thread! It may be obvious (not to me though!) but when I arrive at the wp beacon, i now stop, kill any pirates, and then have a nose at the local prices and distances, to decide where to offload my goods. All works fine. However, once I've decided on a far-off station, how can I tell which one to aim for?

eg, my current system has 4 extra planets, all with stations. However, all their nav buoys are named the same (N01001 or something of that ilk) and I have no idea where to go! I try to guess based on distance to the planet, but that doesn't really work, and I can't get a radar lock on nav buoys if they are too far away.

So, am I missing something? I think I have the relevent OXPs. Obviously, I have the advanced space compass, but as I say, it doesn't differentiate which nav beacon is which!

Cheers!

Dave
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaveG wrote:
I have a question, and I hope this is the best thread! It may be obvious (not to me though!) but when I arrive at the wp beacon, i now stop, kill any pirates, and then have a nose at the local prices and distances, to decide where to offload my goods. All works fine. However, once I've decided on a far-off station, how can I tell which one to aim for?

eg, my current system has 4 extra planets, all with stations. However, all their nav buoys are named the same (N01001 or something of that ilk) and I have no idea where to go! I try to guess based on distance to the planet, but that doesn't really work, and I can't get a radar lock on nav buoys if they are too far away.

So, am I missing something? I think I have the relevent OXPs. Obviously, I have the advanced space compass, but as I say, it doesn't differentiate which nav beacon is which!
The Talkative Space Compass will go a long way towards solving your woes.. much more informative than the ASC on its' own..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaveG
Competent
Competent

Post by DaveG »

I currently use MilHud 4000, and I took off the talkative space compass, as i thought there was a clash? My HUD certainly talks to me, hence I know about the N01001 (or whatever) name to the nav beacons, but does the TSC do more? And does it work with the MilHud? The TSC wiki page says its unnecessary with the MilHud? However, all my nav beacons are announced with a code. Am I missing something to translate this into 'MainStation Beacon' or Waspline Station Beacon'?