Proposals for Oolite 1.79/1.80, 1 of 5: Remove Strict Mode

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Proposals for Oolite 1.79/1.80, 1 of 5: Remove Strict Mo

Post by Selezen »

I never use strict mode (in the rare moments when I play), so the concept doesn't bother me as such.

However, as a developer anything which makes code easier to maintain is always a good thing. A "disabling all OXPs" option is a great idea, but I actually like the idea of a strict mode OXP as well, because I think they would achieve two different things.

Vanilla Oolite is not a true copy of any version of Elite as stated before, so disabling OXPs would not implement an "Elite-a-like" version of the game. Implementing strict mode as it currently stands through an OXP would also not truly emulate classic Elite.

Maybe if a true Elite Emulator was desired, there would need to be an OXP that could replace the elements of Oolite that are not faithful to the original - a MOD that could change the AI, disable q-bombs and all the other things that need to be changed to have a true copy of Elite. That's assuming, of course, that all the "hooks" are present in Oolite's code for the OXP to be able to access the relevant areas.

That's my take on it, anyway. But it should only be done if there's enough demand for it from the players. I do agree with the bod above who stated that hard-core "classic Eliters" could stick with older Oolite versions or emulated versions of Elite.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I've never used strict mode either. I'd imagine most people play with a series of OXPs to give them their personal flavour of 'Elite' anyway. Mine tends to have mostly eyecandy in it, for example.

As has been said, plenty of emulators for the 8 and 16 bit versions if people need them. Oolite should look forward.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Maybe the last version of Oolite that contains strict mode could be kept for those that want to use it? In other words, the latest version will always be available (obvo), but there'll also be a link to 1.77, from wherever Oolite is available? You'd want a note saying why 1.77 is special.

And no, I never play strict.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Not having ever played strict mode, I would like to know if you can buy ships in it?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Nope!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

CommRLock78 wrote:
IIRC, Captain Solo said he plays only strict mode...
No, never have. I think that individual is OneoftheLost.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

:lol:

Busted!

I do! I quite enjoy it in fact. Or rather, enjoyed it alot more with the time acceleration controls. Not having Witchspace injectors makes for some slow gaming. My current commander is non-strict mode (However, I'm only using graphics OXPs) so I can't say I would terribly miss it. I've always liked it, but realistically if it gets in the way of regular Oolite development, then by all means!

I would like to have an OXp for it at some point however.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

aegidian wrote:
I also have to add the mea culpa that I added features to Oolite's main code, that, if I were implementing them for Oolite now, I would add as an OXP (ECM hardened missiles and fuel injectors, for example) so that the base code remained closer to 'core Elite' anyway. But I was lazy and didn't, sorry.

So... and it kills a little bit of me to say it... forget strict mode, and please forget trying to maintain a 'strict mode OXP'.

Strict mode should be replaced with an All-OXPs-Off option, perhaps maintained within the saved game as 'strict'.
Since strict mode also removes core features from "regular" Oolite, I'm all in favor of as much as possible of Strict Mode becoming an OXP. Junk the rest and all the possible code conflicts that come with it. Others can add parts back as programming exercises at their discretion if something is sorely missed. That would give the extra added possibility of easily converting a strict mode savegame to regular mode -- just add/remove the Strict Mode OXP!

An All-OXPs-Off option would be handy for testing regardless whether Strict Mode becomes only an OXP, though interaction between the 2 might prevent the new Strict Mode from running OXP-less.