Docked Screens

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

milinks wrote:
What sizes in pixels / resolution would the images need to be
I'd say, make stuff that looks good on hi-res monitors, but also on 640*400, IIRC, that's the resolution Oolite reverts to when stuff go awry recognising hardware/screensettings.

Make you stuff the way you want to be, but consider it will ultimately have to be compressed to hell and back, to make the OXP not be too heavy, so don't go for designs with lots and lots of details, but more 'GIF' looking, or 80's style (actually, a little bit better, just look how Oolite tries to keep that retrostyle, a lot of people feel very deeply about keeping the 'original feel' of Elite...)
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Code: Select all

:?:

Did I forget a /dict again? tisktisk.
@millinks: Ah, perhaps you could put the code in a [ code][/ code] box?
@wiggy: sowhat? I'm not going to take my helmet off in a liquid oxygen atmosphere!
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

[quote="Arexack_Heretic"]

Code: Select all

Planet A_H is inhabited by green one-eyed starmen...
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

:lol:
no way man!
it's looking to the side, it's a star-eyed humanoid.
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Oh, so you draw Egyptian-style... :wink:
Arexack_Heretic

Egyptian might be a bit too retro to fit in the Oolite universe, Rik. :lol:
Riding the Rocket!
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Apart from now understanding a lot more about plists etc, I am no further forward in this. I have been getting to know the programming side, being lazy using the "showShipModel" expression to throw up different images for different planets, economies, governments and Tech levels. So having got to grips with that, i then replaced the ShipModel commands with the "setMissionImage" only to find that it will not show the image. I have tried different sizes etc to no avail. the script.plist that i am using works as it will show the "shipModels" but not images. If anyone has any thoughts on this? Right! Off for another go!
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Just as a side thought, whilst i appreciate that idea of using MissionScreen appears to be way of getting the information onto the screen, using the kind of plist shown by A_H, when the "image" comes onto the screen, you loose the Data information of the planet, how would i incorporate the two, or at least be able to revert back to it, as once the "image" is displayed, the information does not reappear. How could i incorprate a new GUI_SCREEN_PLANET etc, so that rather than effect what is already there, it would be, say a page 2 of the planet data screen. If i could understand this, and the problem of an actual image failing to display then i'd be "cooking on gas" so to speak! Giles, if i beg, (a lot) could you help me out pleeaase?
Arexack_Heretic

Did you put the image files into the Images folder? (see thargoid mission)
Riding the Rocket!
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Yes, i placed the images in the Images folder lol! Ive tried all day using the Nova and Constrictor missions etc as a guide to putting the plist together, i can get the ship models up, but using the same plist, changing the relevant "image" parts etc, the image will not appear.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Possible stupid statement time. I should have stated earlier that i run windows to my detriment. I KNOW that i have created the plists correctly and cannot see ANY reason for the images not showing.....unless...could this have anything to do with other images not working on Windows, such as aegis.png? Just a thought, ( and would make me feel better, knowing that i hadnt messed up the plists lol)
Arexack_Heretic

the solution would be to send the files to a mac user.
Unfortunately Murgh will be distracted by a member of the opposite sexe for a few weeks, so you will have to find some other victim. ;)

ps I'm a winXP jusa too.
Riding the Rocket!
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Hi A_H, what installer package are you running at present? I'm running Nics first installer package, with the memory fixes that were posted. The reason for this is that when I used the second installer package, i found that the OXP's didnt work correctly. The reason I'm asking is, have you managed to see the images in the constrictor and Nova missions? If you have this means that it must be my installation at fault, if you havent seen the images then it could be a windows issue.

I'll try the second installer package and see if that makes any difference, as I've kinda hit a brick wall with this, if I can't get the images displayed lol
Arexack_Heretic

I have the first install, without any fixes, I haven't played any of the missions.

Edit:
Just tested the script myself (with subsituted images): I get a blank (black) page.
Riding the Rocket!
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

So, at 3am, instead of trying to get some much needed sleep, I'm thinking, ok, if i can't get a still image of the planets etc, then why don't i create the planets etc in Wings, and Texture them accordingly. Then what would be displayed, is a 3D image of the planets ebvironment, and other objects in 3D, that represent the given planet. I KNOW this will work lol! So what do others think at this time, I'm gonna cobble somethings together, to see what it looks like.

Could i place two or three such images on the Mission screen, if so can i place them where i want etc?