[Release] Anarchies facelift oxp 0.5

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Anarchies facelift oxp 0.4

Post by Corny »

Great idea! That was something I often missed. Thanks!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Nice work.

I managed to reduce the textures in this OXP by some 600KB using Optipng.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Nice work.

Thanks for the heads up. I used optipng (0.6.4 from debian repositories) with -o7 parameter and only gained about 200KB :(. How did you manage to get 600KB?
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

spara wrote:
UK_Eliter wrote:
Nice work.

Thanks for the heads up. I used optipng (0.6.4 from debian repositories) with -o7 parameter and only gained about 200KB :(. How did you manage to get 600KB?
I used optiPng version 0.5 on a Windows PC with no parameters . .
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Note that PNG compression only reduces the download size of OXPs. When used by Oolite, all PNGs are loaded into the texture RAM at their full size without any compression at all.

Still, keeping download sizes of OXPs down is a good thing in and of itself. People with slow internet connections and limited bandwidth will always profit from it.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Better post these here, where they belong :). Testing stuff for Anarchies and as McLane pointed out in the screenshots thread, the square tunnel effect makes it feel like there is a launch tunnel after a launch tunnel. Here's a test pic with a round tunnel, which I think fits better in with a Salvager Gang base. It gives me a nice feeling of a drilled hole or an air-lock.

ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Very cool, that in yet?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

ZygoUgo wrote:
Very cool, that in yet?
Not yet. Soon... :D.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I'm going circles with this one, so I would love if someone interested took it around for a test flight. In this test version (0.4.1), I have enhanced Salvage Gang Base rock texture with a Griff style texture/normal map/custom shader. Both inside and outside. In addition I have added normal maps and emission maps to houses and cranes. Fly around and enjoy the view. There is also the round docking tunnel for BGS. Is it ok, or does it feel weird to see the tunnel after/before launch? I think it's better than the default rectangles, but that's just my view. All feedback much appreciated.

https://app.box.com/s/hcykivoe0hpysmuq7m2b

I'll enhance the hacker base in a similar manner and then it's a release time. Oh, and maybe add a BGS docking tunnel to the sentinel/renegade station. Is someone interested in texturing those tunnels? Something militarish that I can throw into GalNavy facelift too.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Anarchies facelift oxp 0.5

Post by spara »

Here we go. Version 0.5. Now this oxp fits even better into a Griffified game. I have done my best to transform the original rock textures into textures that don't stand out from a group of Griff's asteroids. New textures were done by mixing the original textures with Griff's. As a result the bases resemble the originals while looking like Griff's asteroids, but the quality of the textures is not as high as Griff's.

For ambiance, I have added support for Random Ship Names oxp and for challenge, I have added support for Skilled NPCs oxp. And just to be cool, I have added custom BGS tunnel textures to all bases 8).

* Rock textures of Salvage Gang base and Hacker Outpost have been Griffified with Griff's texture and custom shaders. Normal maps and emission maps have been added when needed.
* All stations have custom BGS tunnel texture.
* Compatibility with random shipnames oxp where appropriate.
* Compatibility with skilled NPCs oxp where appropriate.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Spara

I thought this OXP of yours had been incorporated into the main Anarchies OXP. Am I wrong about that? Sorry if I am missing something obvious. Perhaps some of it has been incorporated . .
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Spara

I thought this OXP of yours had been incorporated into the main Anarchies OXP. Am I wrong about that? Sorry if I am missing something obvious. Perhaps some of it has been incorporated . .
Nope. Not yet at least. Now it feels quite complete so if McLane approves, I can merge the two oxps and produce a new version of the Anarchies oxp.