Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] GalNavy additions (was Adck's Behemoths Redux)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Adck's Behemoths Redux

Post by spara »

Smivs wrote:
I'm not too familiar with ADCK's behemoths TBH, but what you suggest sounds possible. Is the nameplate specified for just the position/faces where it appears on the ship?
Now that I have meddled with them awhile, I'm starting get acquainted with them. Not exactly what I had in mind when I started reviving them :).

Anyway, the dat-file defines two textures, one big one that has a hole in it and a small one that fills the hole. The small one is positioned by the entry in the dat-file. The big one could easily be put in place as a diffuse-map, but I guess that the positioning of the small one is not possible.

The original Aegidian's Behemoth solves this differently, it has a unique dat-file for each Behemoth.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

spara wrote:
Anyway, the dat-file defines two textures, one big one that has a hole in it and a small one that fills the hole. The small one is positioned by the entry in the dat-file. The big one could easily be put in place as a diffuse-map, but I guess that the positioning of the small one is not possible.

The original Aegidian's Behemoth solves this differently, it has a unique dat-file for each Behemoth.
How you approach this may be decided by how many varieties (names) there are.
Probably the easiest way is to do a 'named' texture for each one and like_ship them, using the same model and specifying the correct diffuse map for each via 'materials' in shipdata.
Either that or just have a template ship and call the texture required by script using 'set_materials'. This way a 'random' texture could be applied when the ship is spawned.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Smivs wrote:
spara wrote:

How you approach this may be decided by how many varieties (names) there are.
Probably the easiest way is to do a 'named' texture for each one and like_ship them, using the same model and specifying the correct diffuse map for each via 'materials' in shipdata.
Either that or just have a template ship and call the texture required by script using 'set_materials'. This way a 'random' texture could be applied when the ship is spawned.
Yep, that's what I thought too. The number of behemoths is 16 (I think...). So doing a different skin for each is probably a bad idea in terms of oxp size. To do it properly without shaders would mean doing a different dat-file for each behemoth. Seems like a lot of work, so I'll let it be. Maybe in a future version of Oolite, there is a way to replace textures defines in the dat-file through 'materials.' Then again, I would assume that the future oxps don't do it like this :).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

The only other hope is if you can manipulate two diffuse maps for the same model using materials. I'm not sure that you can - Jens or one of the other devs would know.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

spara wrote:
Maybe in a future version of Oolite, there is a way to replace textures defines in the dat-file through 'materials.'
This is already possible.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JensAyton wrote:
spara wrote:
Maybe in a future version of Oolite, there is a way to replace textures defines in the dat-file through 'materials.'
I'm so bad at this :oops:. Yes, now I see. That "cube-face" is the reference in the dat-file. Thanks for the clarification. Let's see, if I can summon some strength to do necessary changes to the oxp. Not tonight probably.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

By the way, any OXPer would benefit from dissecting and understanding the [wiki]Material Test Suite OXP[/wiki] (and taking note of the fact that tests 1–7 work without shaders).
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JensAyton wrote:
By the way, any OXPer would benefit from dissecting and understanding the [wiki]Material Test Suite OXP[/wiki] (and taking note of the fact that tests 1–7 work without shaders).
How very true, I somehow have missed that link earlier. It's probably because it's at the bottom of the 'materials' page and I have not reached it earlier :lol:. Excellent example page with good examples. Wish I had more time.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

JensAyton wrote:
spara wrote:
This is what I was trying to say earlier - sorry, perhaps I wasn't being clear enough. I seem to have become a bit of an 'expert' (term used very loosely :P ) on this stuff, so if you need any help or advice, please feel free to ask. :)
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Two updates:

* Facelift (1.1.5). Now the nameplates work without shaders.
* Extra Behemoths (1.0.1). Fixed a couple of bugs and made nameplates to work without shaders.
Smivs wrote:
I seem to have become a bit of an 'expert' (term used very loosely :P ) on this stuff, so if you need any help or advice, please feel free to ask. :)
I'm afraid I'll never be an expert in these matters :(. But I'm getting better all the time :D. Thank you all for helping out.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Small update on facelift.

* Anaconda's normal map is fixed, thanks to Tichy
* Textures compressed with optipng. Download size is now a couple of MBs smaller
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

spara wrote:

Why is the Anaconda in this OXP? I checked the original readmes but couldn't see a mention of the Annie...?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JazHaz wrote:
spara wrote:

Why is the Anaconda in this OXP? I checked the original readmes but couldn't see a mention of the Annie...?
The model is used as a navy transport. Different texture, same normal map.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

New version of galactic navy facelift (1.2).

* New textures for Behemoth Type 2
* Griffified Behemoth docks
* Custom BGS tunnel effect enabled for all GalNavy dockables

Wish I had a bit more time in my hands :). Next on my todo is tinkering SimonB's Light Destroyer to work with GalNavy as an addon, making Navy Carrier to work with GalNavy and Behemoths as an addon and updating extra behemoths (3 & 4) to same graphical level with type 2.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Congrats!