Species Icons in Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JeX
Competent
Competent

Re: Species Icons in Oolite

Post by JeX »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
JeX wrote:
It's like showing a bulleted list: you wouldn't put information on both side of the bullets, would you? :?
:shock: Well, WHY NOT? If you had a list with two correlating informations and put it on the left and right sides of the bullets, it could work quite well, maybe. I have to try that... :)
But for the short range map I would prefer the one sided version, anyhow... :mrgreen: :wink:
Many reasons for this, the biggest being the normative convention of a list. People gets confused and it makes them think about presentation rather than content. I agree with the correlating information, good for certain purposes, annoying for others. For example, it would be ideal if you wanted to show relationships or differences, left side for one variable, right side for the other variable and so forth.

When the locations of the "bullets" do not have the same x-coordinates, i.e. on a chart or a map, I will argue that it gets confusing because you also have to think where the icons belong by drilling down into what color and representation it has.

Do try it out though and let us know how your audience found it :)
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

JeX wrote:
Do try it out though and let us know how your audience found it :)
I was my own audience, and it didn't work. :oops: :mrgreen:
I want to try something similar with two random tables (for RPGs), with the dice result in the middle. That could maybe work a little better than two tables with the shared dice result at the left (the traditional way). Maybe. :roll: :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

PhantorGorth wrote:
I hope once I get the main part of the code changes done to see if I can make the closest system to the mouse (within a certain distance) become highlighted like the currently selected system is. (i.e. make a rectangle behind the symbols dim the symbols for other systems). That should make reading them when they overlap a bit easier.
Now that's a feature I'd love to see incorporated into the core game! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I like the dimming idea and the species icons in general and the idea of tying trading/illegal goods to species!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Giving this excellent idea a friendly bump!
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

Zireael wrote: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:43 pm
Giving this thread another bump; did the species icon thing ever become publicly available?
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

DataPacRat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:21 am
Zireael wrote: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:43 pm
Giving this thread another bump; did the species icon thing ever become publicly available?
Look here: https://www.pcooper.net/oolite/
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Slight remix ;)

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Nice!

Alas, one presumes that keeping colours simple was tied in with helping decipher the clutter on the F6 screen (see the top pages in this thread).

I would dearly love to see more made of the species in the game. All the gubbins I've dug up so far can be found on the new Species page in our wiki.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:35 pm
I would dearly love to see more made of the species in the game. All the gubbins I've dug up so far can be found on the new Species page in our wiki.
Finger's crossed I'll be salvaging from my old PC soon, in whish case I plan to rescue this one .

If I ration its ambition ever so slightly then I think it would likely be 90% ready to go; maybe...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:08 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:35 pm
Finger's crossed I'll be salvaging from my old PC soon, in whish case I plan to rescue this one .

If I ration its ambition ever so slightly then I think it would likely be 90% ready to go; maybe...
Looks truly good!

By the way, just bunging Paddling Pool up on our wiki!
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm
Looks truly good!
It was something I wanted all the way back in the 80s. Never imagined I'd be able to help create it :P

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm
By the way, just bunging Paddling Pool up on our wiki!
Thanks!
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

cbr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:24 pm
Slight remix ;)

Just to let you know the Human Colonist icon in the version I did (here) was taken from the Pioneer 10/11 plaques (See here). I chose the woman instead of the man as I wanted to subvert the idea that the male is always the one used as a symbol of a species.

Phantor Gorth
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Alnivel
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Alnivel »

Is it still being worked on or is it already abandoned? I would love to see this in the game, but almost 8 years since the last post about progress is ruining my hopes. Also, could this feature lead to the ability to add custom icons via OXP?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

As far as I know, Phantor Gorth has not worked on anything oxp-wise for some years.
He does still pop in occasionally, so there's always a chance - albeit a slim one.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!