Species Icons in Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Species Icons in Oolite

Post by PhantorGorth »

Tricky wrote:
Doh! Just done a search. I know why it looked odd, it looked like a squirrel which IS a rodent. I actually didn't know that until just now. Sorry. :oops:
I didn't even think you talking about that. I thought you meant that one rodent does not necessarily look exactly like another and may not have bushy tails. Given that there are 443 different inhabitant descriptions in Oolite I wasn't going to give each one a different symbol!
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Tricky wrote:
it looked like a squirrel which IS a rodent. .... Sorry. :oops:
When you look at the etymology of rodent it seems to be derived from red. And when yoy think at red rodents, you DO think at squirrels and not at mice. :lol:

We in the Netherlands call this species: "Nibblers". That more or less describes their behaviour and not the colour of the species.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
When you look at the etymology of rodent it seems to be derived from red.
Not quite. According to your link it seems to be derived from either of the Proto-Indo-European roots "*red-" or "*rēd-", none of which have anything to do with a colour, but with "gnawing" or "pecking". Hence rodents are "Nagetiere" or "Nager" in German. :wink:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Beavers are my favourite rodents.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Rodents aren't what they used to be...
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Commander McLane wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
When you look at the etymology of rodent it seems to be derived from red.
Not quite. According to your link it seems to be derived from either of the Proto-Indo-European roots "*red-" or "*rēd-", none of which have anything to do with a colour, but with "gnawing" or "pecking". Hence rodents are "Nagetiere" or "Nager" in German. :wink:
You're absolutely right. In Irish the noun "rodent" is creimire and the verb "gnaw" is creim :).
Smivs wrote:
Rodents aren't what they used to be...
Disembodied wrote:
They're not what they're going to be, either ... ;)
:lol: . Interesting find Disembodied - it's fun to play the what if game and rabbucks and falanxes are no exception :D.
PhantorGorth wrote:
Tricky wrote:
Yeah! Single row. 2 symbols to the left of the star, 2 symbols to the right of the star.
I'll do a version like that and post here.
Looking forward to seeing it - great work man! :D
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Interesting find Disembodied - it's fun to play the what if game and rabbucks and falanxes are no exception :D.
It's from a great book called After Man: a zoology of the future by Dougal Dixon, sadly long out of print but still available second-hand, probably. It took the assumption that a mass extinction wiped out humanity and most other large animals, then jumped 50 million years forward to see what the evolutionary results might be. The illustrations were all done in this slightly Edwardian style, sometimes with little "field notes" written next to the pictures.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Disembodied wrote:
It took the assumption that a mass extinction wiped out humanity and most other large animals
Hmmm.. getting uncomfortably close to what the next 30-100 years may hold in store for the planet, in other words..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Can't wait for this. What is the current status of this project?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
It took the assumption that a mass extinction wiped out humanity and most other large animals
Hmmm.. getting uncomfortably close to what the next 30-100 years may hold in store for the planet, in other words..
pagroove wrote:
Quite well advanced I think.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Disembodied wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
Interesting find Disembodied - it's fun to play the what if game and rabbucks and falanxes are no exception :D.
It's from a great book called After Man: a zoology of the future by Dougal Dixon, sadly long out of print but still available second-hand, probably. It took the assumption that a mass extinction wiped out humanity and most other large animals, then jumped 50 million years forward to see what the evolutionary results might be. The illustrations were all done in this slightly Edwardian style, sometimes with little "field notes" written next to the pictures.
You know, I think I have seen this book before - a really long time ago. I used to be really in to paleontology as a kid and this book was one of my favorites - the artwork between the two books is quite similar.
pagroove wrote:
I can't wait myself, however, talking to PG yesterday it looks like it'll be a little while yet. He was saying getting the two icons to the left of the star is going to be a bit more difficult (but I'm sure not impossible).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

PhantorGorth wrote:
Tricky wrote:
Yeah! Single row. 2 symbols to the left of the star, 2 symbols to the right of the star.
I'll do a version like that and post here.
Here you are:
I put the government and inhabitants on the left as I wanted to keep the Tech Level number on the right.

Please can you all not ask for any more variants at the moment as I had to comment out swathes of code that I was working on and had to rearrange and add code I do not intend to keep (well not in this form) in order to get it to do the left-hand side.

Phantor
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

No more requests from me :P - it's perfect! 8)
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

I did actually mention another format but you can ignore that if everyone likes this one. :D