[Release] Technical reference library OXP 1.0.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Status Quo Ident OXP 0.2

Post by Rorschachhamster »

It is a little strange that you have the name of the ship right at the lock of the target, without scanning it...

Maybe the standard lock shouldn't quote the ship's type (and name!) until scanned, only unknown vessel or something... if that's doable... :?: Ok, there goes the simple... :wink:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
It is a little strange that you have the name of the ship right at the lock of the target, without scanning it...

Maybe the standard lock shouldn't quote the ship's type (and name!) until scanned, only unknown vessel or something... if that's doable... :?: Ok, there goes the simple... :wink:
Oh my. I have put way too much thought to this and you just add fuel to the fire :lol:. Back to experimenting, I guess. Let's see, if I can come up with something useful...
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

And, btw, I think your first one was way cooler... :oops:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
And, btw, I think your first one was way cooler... :oops:
It felt too much of a cheat to my taste. I also had great trouble in the wavium section trying to figure out how it would really work in the Ooniversum. Maybe I'll come back to the original, if I find a peace of mind with it :). I'll need to rationalize myself, where and how all that data comes from. And how does that ship id really work? etc. etc. We'll see.

Btw. I just put up a new version (0.3), that implements your idea. Now every time you target a new ship, it is identified as unidentified. After an ident lock, the identification process starts automatically and after 3 secs, you have the id of that ship. Later on, if you target that ship again, it is instantly identified.

Now to bed.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Technical reference library OXP 0.4

Post by spara »

I was enlightened after the discussion of the ship's ident system. Now I know exactly how this oxp should work and have updated it accordingly. This is the third name change, which I promise will be the last one. Now it feels right. The first post has been updated to reflect changes.

Some details:
* Specs are shown in a mission screen for game play and ambiance reasons. Now it feels, that you actually look the data somewhere and it distracts you.
* Ships that are added by the core game as a "trader", "pirate", "scavenger", "miner", "shuttle", "hunter" are thought to be common ships, so their specs are reveiled. Police and Thargoid ship are marked as classified/unknown. The logic is, that the data for ships comes from the manufacturers.
* I have especially added ships from random hits and anarchies to the known ships.
* I'm no artist, but managed to put up a decent background. Big thanks to Mandoman, who allowed me to use his technical drawings for it.

The oxp is still WIP and will be until I have tested it thoroughly. Big thank you to all who have commented and tested it.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

It looks very familiar now.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Wildeblood wrote:
It looks very familiar now.
Ah, had forgotten that. Wasn't it for planets or something? What ever happened to that plan of yours? Is it still in the works?

Edit: Oh yes, went through old pm and this idea was there alright. Must have come from subconscious. If you pursue your oxp further, I'm open for all suggestions as overlapping oxps are not very good thing.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

spara wrote:
What ever happened to that plan of yours? Is it still in the works?
https://www.box.com/s/phi0152m4gk2bg1tsten
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Wildeblood wrote:
spara wrote:
What ever happened to that plan of yours? Is it still in the works?
https://www.box.com/s/phi0152m4gk2bg1tsten
This is really spooky :shock:. My approach is focused to just spacecrafts (with some sort of a backstory to support it), where as your approach is a lot more wider. Nevertheless strikingly similar. If you ever finish yours (hope you do), maybe there are some ideas here that can be of use.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I'm working on the ambiance part and here's an idea I got. I gathered the manufacturers from wiki. I'm assuming that people who are designing ships and who have invented themselves manufacturer names do not object this. If this kind of use feels wrong, I'll drop the idea. And on the other hand, if I forgot/missed your manufacturer name, please correct me. :D

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Looking good! Downloading! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

You might want to add the Gerege Federation Space Works, builders of the Boa, Boa Class Cruiser and the Python and Boa Clippers.
Nice to see the Retila Shipyard Co-op is still trying to legitimise themselves :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Is it an idea to add pics of the ships in wireframe (green color) ?( non-moving).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Looking good, although I was liking the one that dispayed the info right on the hud when you targeted the ship
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Smivs wrote:
You might want to add the Gerege Federation Space Works, builders of the Boa, Boa Class Cruiser and the Python and Boa Clippers.
I'll do that. Thanks.
pagroove wrote:
Is it an idea to add pics of the ships in wireframe (green color) ?( non-moving).
Something like that would be brilliant. Maybe a collage of wireframe core ships so that it's the same each time. For that to happen, I need to ask help. I would need a wireframe picture of each ship in some reasonable format. Vector format would be best, so I can put them into Inkscape and resize. Or I'll have to step into the Wings3D territory myself. Have not been there yet :D. Are there some resources somewhere?
Smivs wrote:
Nice to see the Retila Shipyard Co-op is still trying to legitimise themselves :wink:
Oh yes. They actually contacted us and were very rentless about the inclusion. And on top of that they very generously sponsored the publishing of this product. We just could not say no to them.
Paradox wrote:
Looking good, although I was liking the one that dispayed the info right on the hud when you targeted the ship
Who know's, maybe it will come back. If we are able to collect a suitable donation from our sponsors, such a feature is possible. The technical department says it's not a problem to link the reference library to the hud. Maybe something like type and speed? Not too much info anyway, as it will clutter the hud and we do not want that to happen in the middle of a dog fight. Our sponsors are also hesitant because it would mean that their names would not be shown. How about something like this:

Type: Boa
Speed: 0.24 LM
"This information is sponsored by Aegidian Shipyards"