Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Is it possible to induce a Hyperspace through the interface?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Is it possible to induce a Hyperspace through the interface?

Post by pagroove »

I have a question:

Is it possible to induce a Hyperspace through the interfaces (f4 screen)? If so then it could be a way of jumping (hitching) on a liner or any other big ship. If it isn't currently possible could it be implemented?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Is it possible to induce a Hyperspace through the interf

Post by Thargoid »

The F4 screen is only available when docked. And I would expect most stationmasters would take a dim view to a ship going into witchspace whilst in their station. I dread to think what Mr Gimlet would say...
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I was seeing this as follows: You dock at the Emerald and decide to hitch (which is not currently possible). You press F4 and see the destinations the Emerald goes. You then buy a ticket. The Emerald Jumps or at the moment you will jump out of the Emerald in the destination system (placing the Emerald behind you to simulate that it jumped).

Edited to add.

In fact it would be a launch out of the liner immediately followed by a hyperspace jump into the new system.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Should be possible, provided that the Emerald has enough fuel and isn't masslocked.

And you need to jump first and launch afterwards, or else the Emerald wouldn't be in the destination system.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

pagroove wrote:
I have a question:

Is it possible to induce a Hyperspace through the interfaces (f4 screen)? If so then it could be a way of jumping (hitching) on a liner or any other big ship. If it isn't currently possible could it be implemented?
I've noticed that when I dock with a Behemoth in interstellar space that when I launch I always come out at the witchpoint of a nearby system -- actually I just wanted to refuel/restock and return to the fight!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Bogatyr wrote:
I've noticed that when I dock with a Behemoth in interstellar space that when I launch I always come out at the witchpoint of a nearby system
Yep. Unfortunately it is technically not possible to launch into interstellar space.

The in-game rationalization is that the Behemoth has jumped while you were docked.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Actually it is, if interstellar_undocking in shipdata.plist is set to true for the carrier or station you're docking with. Then if you dock and then undock with it in interstellar space, you'll still be there.

However that key defaults to no, and was introduced after the Behemoth OXP was issued (indeed I think it was the docking with Behemoths that caused it to be created) and so the OXP doesn't include that key. However if you're confident enough, a quick addition to the appropriate entry/entries in the shipdata.plist file and a shift-restart will allow it.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Yes, it is possible to hitchhike on a transport ship that hyperspace jumps while you're docked inside of it.
But scripting that is rather painful for me, so I leave that task to the experts. :P