Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Things to do in the spacelanes when you're masslocked

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Things to do in the spacelanes when you're masslocked

Post by Cody »

I rarely lack for things to do when I'm mass-locked along the 'lanes. There's usually either bandits, cops, or bounty-hunters to deal with - sometimes all three!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Cody wrote:
I rarely lack for things to do when I'm mass-locked along the 'lanes. There's usually either bandits, cops, or bounty-hunters to deal with - sometimes all three!
Sounds like Cody-brand justice :D. When do you not have a bounty on your head? :lol: :P
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Some interesting ideas in this discussion.. I like 'em!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thermonuklear
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Thermonuklear »

I liked the idea Disembodied had about minigames, especially if it could be done so it affects the main game in some way. Like minor repairs, jury-rigging shield generators and thrusters for faster recharge and higher top speed(until next docking, to keep things in balance).

My favourite non-OXP solution is reading books while travelling. Also, reading the Discworld series while flying endlessly through space... x)
[ELITE: Station Run]
Selezen's excellent boardgame needs playtesters!
---
My youtube channel: Oolite, old games and underground metal music!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Thermonuklear wrote:
I liked the idea Disembodied had about minigames, especially if it could be done so it affects the main game in some way. Like minor repairs, jury-rigging shield generators and thrusters for faster recharge and higher top speed(until next docking, to keep things in balance).
You're right, I think it's important that any benefits to the player be short-lived (or at least minor enough to do without: I don't think any such mini-game should be something players are compelled to do). Being able to restore life to a piece of damaged equipment in flight would be great, and very immersive, but even then it should only be a temporary fix which could fail again, and in any case the item definitely breaks on docking. When not repairing actual damage, though, a bit of tinkering could do something as basic as increase the time until your next service by a small amount (or reduce it quite sharply, if the player screws up).