[WIP] Ship's library OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Ship's library OXP

Post by pagroove »

This is such an excellent OXP. Reading the Tre Clan now. But I wondered. Could it be made so that:
Imagination mode on>

Imagine you are on Lave. You go to the bar (via ship interfaces). You hear that there is a 'legendary book' in the Zadies Library that provides more information on a secret Rock hermit around a planet in G5 where you can get a secret equipment etc...

So now you actually have to go to Zadies. Make planetfall and actually read the book.

Imagination mode of>

In other words could this made so that location specific books are possible?
Then books also could be put into missions etc. etc. or just be an unique book so that you have a reason to travel somewhere just to add the book to your collection?

Also it would be just cool if the current fiction library of this board could be put in the Oolite Reader :D

Just an idea.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

pagroove wrote:
Just an idea.
Two very cool ideas!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

pagroove wrote:
Already is - there's an API to register the books with the reader, but you don't have to do that at startUp, you can do it at any time to add a new book.
pagroove wrote:
Also it would be just cool if the current fiction library of this board could be put in the Oolite Reader
I'm happy to do the work if there are any authors who want their books included but don't have the time or knowledge to do the OXP conversion.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

cim wrote:
I'm happy to do the work if there are any authors who want their books included but don't have the time or knowledge to do the OXP conversion.
What sort of file would be best for you to work from? Word .doc, EPUB ... I assume not PDF?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Disembodied wrote:
cim wrote:
What sort of file would be best for you to work from? Word .doc, EPUB ... I assume not PDF?
PDF probably is usable, actually, since I have a PDF-to-text conversion program. Ultimately I need it in plain text format, so anything which can be converted to that with common tools (Word is fine, EPUB probably fine though I've never tried) is okay.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

cim wrote:
pagroove wrote:
Already is - there's an API to register the books with the reader, but you don't have to do that at startUp, you can do it at any time to add a new book.
pagroove wrote:
Also it would be just cool if the current fiction library of this board could be put in the Oolite Reader
Nice! :D

So let's say I make an Zaonce Tourist brochure that can only be read at Zaonce Main. How excactly does this work?
Can books also made an item that you buy or scoop without adding it to the main equipment list?

Sorry for the questions but the possibilities make me curious. 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

pagroove wrote:
So let's say I make an Zaonce Tourist brochure that can only be read at Zaonce Main. How excactly does this work?
I'll need to add a "remove book" function to get that to work, but basically you'd use "add book" in shipWillDockWithStation and startUp (when at Zaonce Main), and "remove book" in shipWillLaunchFromStation.

I have a few other things which need adding for 0.6 ("save place in book" needs to work over save/load and not lose your place because you change book) so I'll add "remove book" at the same time.
pagroove wrote:
Can books also made an item that you buy or scoop without adding it to the main equipment list?
Yes - probably easiest to set a mission variable when the book has been obtained (however that occurs), add it at that point, and then also add it at startUp if the mission variable is set. Scoop you'd use a scripted cargo pod, and buy you'd use a mission screen of some sort, I guess.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

cim wrote:
I have a few other things which need adding for 0.6 ("save place in book" needs to work over save/load and not lose your place because you change book) so I'll add "remove book" at the same time.
And, done. Your place in each book is now saved independently even if you change books, save/load, etc. OXPs can also remove books provided that the player isn't looking at that book right then.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I've not installed this OXP, as I'm not a beginner by a long shot, but was just wondering... is Mr Gimlet included in the manual?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

JazHaz wrote:
I've not installed this OXP, as I'm not a beginner by a long shot, but was just wondering... is Mr Gimlet included in the manual?
No - they don't really fit in with the writing style. It would be straightforward to add a separate book with their advice, though.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Ol' Gimlet really needs a bit of a rewrite, I think ... references to specific OXPs should probably come out, and it would help if he addressed some of the more recent changes to NPC behaviours.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
Ol' Gimlet really needs a bit of a rewrite, I think ... references to specific OXPs should probably come out...
<nods> I'd never read Ol' Gimlet before... those OXP references should definitely disappear.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Cody wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
Ol' Gimlet really needs a bit of a rewrite, I think ... references to specific OXPs should probably come out...
<nods> I'd never read Ol' Gimlet before... those OXP references should definitely disappear.
The Advice for New Commanders document distributed with the game has, as far as I can recall, the OXP references already removed.
Cody

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
The Advice for New Commanders document distributed with the game has, as far as I can recall, the OXP references already removed.
<nods> The contracts being on F8-F8 needs revising though (and mention of parcel contracts might be good).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Cody wrote:
another_commander wrote:
<nods> The contracts being on F8-F8 needs revising though (and mention of parcel contracts might be good).
OK, I've updated [wiki]Mr Gimlet[/wiki] on the wiki: he doesn't talk about anything that's not in the core game, he mentions F4 and parcel contracts, and has a little advice on how to throw off pirates by dropping cargo. Suggestions welcome for further emendation ...

Does anyone have KZ9999's original OpenOffice files for the document distributed with the game?